England's Centres

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 hours ago, OMEGA said:

I’ve said before, I favour an attacking team that will test the best of defences.

If Farnworth is in one centre then who do we have to contest a place in the other.

• Percival
  • Welsby
  • Newman
  • Wardle
  • Lyne
  • King
  • Gildart
  • Hardaker
  • Connor
  • Griffin
  • Sarginson

There's anothe young lad you have missed out who I think could be really good if he keeps improving I have seen him twice in the last week and he has and been very impressive for a 19 year old that is Corey Hall at Wakefield, albeit not for this WC, beggars belief why Leeds would let him go.

14 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

There's anothe young lad you have missed out who I think could be really good if he keeps improving I have seen him twice in the last week and he has and been very impressive for a 19 year old that is Corey Hall at Wakefield, albeit not for this WC, beggars belief why Leeds would let him go.

He's already better than Sutcliffe and he still doesn't do his own laundry.

Young Herbie would be in consideration for rep selection if he was Australian, I feel. He's been getting towards being an elite centre over the last year/year and a half, and he's looking bigger, faster, more confident.

I really like Percival and he has deserved selection in the past, but the feel I get is that Farnworth is just a bit of a higher range player who'll trouble the bigger teams more.

Well, I've already nailed my colours to the mast... if they are fit and available I would have Farnworth on the left and Newman on the right.  I think they are outstanding athletes and two of the best outside backs we have produced in a long time.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

1 hour ago, Dunbar said:

Well, I've already nailed my colours to the mast... if they are fit and available I would have Farnworth on the left and Newman on the right.  I think they are outstanding athletes and two of the best outside backs we have produced in a long time.

I just don't get the 'love in' with Newman. He's shown some fleeting glimpses of talent but more often than not he's been way off the pace in games or out injured.

Its been nearly 5 years now since he made his 1st team debut for Leeds (back in 2017) and he's managed only 36 games for them (all be it he had loan spells at Fev in 2018 & 19). So far this year he's played only once (missed 3, played 1, missed another 3).

If he wants to be in serious contention for an England spot he needs to;

a - get over his continual injuries and put an extended run of games together,

b - show consistent good form in those run of games (not 1 decent game and hobble around half fit for the rest).

If he can't manage the above this year then he doesn't even deserve a place in the England squad at the end of the year let alone be a starting centre.

St.Helens - The Home of record breaking Rugby Champions

23 minutes ago, Saint Toppy said:

I just don't get the 'love in' with Newman. He's shown some fleeting glimpses of talent but more often than not he's been way off the pace in games or out injured.

Its been nearly 5 years now since he made his 1st team debut for Leeds (back in 2017) and he's managed only 36 games for them (all be it he had loan spells at Fev in 2018 & 19). So far this year he's played only once (missed 3, played 1, missed another 3).

b - show consistent good form in those run of games (not 1 decent game and hobble around half fit for the rest).

If he can't manage the above this year then he doesn't even deserve a place in the England squad at the end of the year let alone be a starting centre.

Yep, that's why I said if he is fit and available.

As far as I am concerned, he is our most talented right centre.  And I would pair him with Dom Young as his winger.  I don't care how many games they have played, if they are fit and available then they are our best options.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

28 minutes ago, Saint Toppy said:

I think the "love in" with Newman was that the enforced delay of the WC could help someone like him (with massive potential) have a career defining season. This is definitely the case for players like Welsby.

He is an extremely classy and strong player but he simply cannot get a run of games together. That is going to drop him right down the pecking order in my opinion as Farnworth, Percival etc. are performing week in week out and have runs on the board.

9 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

As far as I am concerned, he is our most talented right centre.  And I would pair him with Dom Young as his winger.  I don't care how many games they have played, if they are fit and available then they are our best options.

Don’t mention Young toToppy,he wrote him off after 2 games for Huddersfield when he was 17.

4 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

And Wrench at Warrington too

3 hours ago, Saint Toppy said:

I think Newman is one of those youngsters who seem to spend most of their career as one of the next up and coming stars but like many others doesn't always hit that height but has a reputation, usually off Sky sports employees that makes people think they have to be considered as a top player.

Like you i have never seen the big fuss over him, he never really seems to be a standout in games i've seen him in.

I don't think i'd even consider him for an England spot, he'd be behind Farnworth, Percival, Wardle, Welsby and probably King in my thoughts.

He may turn out to be a great player but up to now at 22/23 i can't say he's stood out at all during his career.

18 minutes ago, daz39 said:

usually off Sky sports employees that makes people think they have to be considered as a top player.

Let me just say, I think Newman is an outstanding talent.  I may be right and, I am happy to admit, I may be wrong, but I can assure you I am forming my own opinion on him and not basing by views on Sky commentary. 

2 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

Let me just say, I think Newman is an outstanding talent.  I may be right and, I am happy to admit, I may be wrong, but I can assure you I am forming my own opinion on him and not basing by views on Sky commentary. 

Wasn't aiming my reply at you specifically, more the general viewing public, he may become an outstanding talent but in my opinion he's nothing more than a good, young super league player for now,

6 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

Because he’s not as good as with Harry Newman or Jack Broadbent 

10 minutes ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

If Kai Pearce Paul plays centre for Wigan all season he’ll be in with a chance 

Why, cos he plays for Wigan? 

He isn't a recognised centre for a start and is nowhere near international level, why would he be picked before others listed?

Kai Pearce Paul doesn't have the pace to be an international centre, he is still far more likely to develop into a top class edge forward. 

10 hours ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

Because he’s not as good as with Harry Newman or Jack Broadbent 

He is better than Sutcliffe one off the incumbent centres and Briscoe who I have also seen playing centre in recent weeks, sorry kev letting him go is a mistake Leeds will come to regret.

Especially as one of those you mention is seemingly being one of those unlucky one's who never reach their potential because they spend more time in the treatment rooms than on the field.

15 hours ago, Dunbar said:

Is he England's most talented centre ? 5 years in and i'm still waiting for him to fulfill all the hype.

Better not even mention Young or Davo5 will need another nappy change. He plays in the NRL so he must be a superstar, worlds greatest winger who's going to win the WC for England single handedly don't you know 😉

52 minutes ago, Saint Toppy said:

Is he England's most talented centre ? 5 years in and i'm still waiting for him to fulfill all the hype.

Better not even mention Young or Davo5 will need another nappy change. He plays in the NRL so he must be a superstar, worlds greatest winger who's going to win the WC for England single handedly don't you know 😉

Wow you do like making things up,don’t you.

On 30/03/2022 at 13:39, OMEGA said:

5 years ago Young was playing for Dewsbury Moor u15s 

What's that got to do with anything ? 5 Yrs ago Newman made his 1st team debut and hasn't really progressed since. He's managed just 1 game so far this year and now he's going to be out injured for another 3 months ruling him out until around July.

By the time he manages to regain any sort of match fitness its going to be August which probably only then leaves him 8-9 games to prove he's worthy of an England squad place for the WC (assuming he doesn't pick up any more injures in that time)

Archived