1895 Cup Draw

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Harry Stottle said:

As I said in another topic before the draw was made, I would expect a Fev v Leigh final would put at least 10K on the gate, that can't be bad for the RFL can it?

Save yer breath.

1 hour ago, bigbaldnmad said:

Midweek is no good as part time players would be working.

How is this only ever an issue in rugby league?

Locally, part time and amateur football players, hockey players, cricketers, even basketball players, seem to be quite able to find time on a midweek evening to travel and play. There are probably other sports but I don't know them directly.

I have sympathy with players playing too many games - and too close together - but this idea that midweek is uniquely impossible for RL doesn't really stand up.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

I quite like the way the competition is being run, acknowledging the current format came about by accident.

It gives lower-league clubs the chance to reach a big Cup final, and it also adds extra meaning to the early rounds of the Challenge Cup for those teams - I think some fans are less inclined to hope they get knocked out of the CC early because there's a semi-final and potentially a final beckoning.

But the current format also doesn't add quite as much to an already crowded fixture list (for Championship teams) as it would if there were four or five rounds.

Fans of the four teams that made the final so far had a great day out and it will be the same again this year. Barrow for instance will fancy their chances of turning Fev over after their great display this weekend and I'm sure their fans would be really giddy about going to a big final in London (as will Fev fans again, and fans of all the other teams left in the comp).

Folk are overlooking that you have to win at least two games just to get into the five.

It's not like the RFL have picked five teams at random to play in the 1895 Cup.  They've had to earn the right to be there.

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

58 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Locally, part time and amateur football players, hockey players, cricketers, even basketball players, seem to be quite able to find time on a midweek evening to travel and play. There are probably other sports but I don't know them directly.

I have sympathy with players playing too many games - and too close together - but this idea that midweek is uniquely impossible for RL doesn't really stand up.

Because none of those sports involve getting battered for 80 minutes. Also local cricket teams for example don’t tend to travel hundreds of miles for midweek games. 

1 hour ago, Tommygilf said:

Would you appreciate anyone replying to you with the same on a Super League or non-Leigh topic Harry?

I can just about agree to a lower league cup curtain raiser to the cup final as a way to easily add x thousand fans to the gate. I disagree with so brazenly contriving a competition like this to do so.

I wasn't answering as a Leigh fan or SL centric Tommy, I was applauding the comp as a way of getting more fan's into the ground and more interest on the day.

I would have thought that people would be more concerned that this comp was thought up and financed by one Derek John Beaumont as a way of getting his club to a final🤭

1 hour ago, Tommygilf said:

Would you appreciate anyone replying to you with the same on a Super League or non-Leigh topic Harry?

I can just about agree to a lower league cup curtain raiser to the cup final as a way to easily add x thousand fans to the gate. I disagree with so brazenly contriving a competition like this to do so.

Hes only defending this comp and getting because of the sponsor, pretty odd behaviour for an adult. 

Telling someone on an RL forum not to bother talking about an RL competition because they have a negative attitude towards it is just pathetic. 

1 hour ago, gingerjon said:

My club deferred to play in it last season as it was expected to be a financial loss for them, and quite a significant one too unfortunately. The way its set up is just erm...awkward, it just doesn't seem well thought out.

2 minutes ago, dkw said:

Hes only defending this comp and getting because of the sponsor, pretty odd behaviour for an adult. 

Telling someone on an RL forum not to bother talking about an RL competition because they have a negative attitude towards it is just pathetic. 

Oi, hero answer me directly.

2 minutes ago, dkw said:

My club deferred to play in it last season as it was expected to be a financial loss for them, and quite a significant one too unfortunately. The way its set up is just erm...awkward, it just doesn't seem well thought out.

If a team has ambition and considers themselves good enough to enter the comp they will, otherwise they will pull out.

35 minutes ago, dkw said:

Yes, I remember. I wasn't particularly impressed by clubs withdrawing but not being able to secure either sponsorship or distribute funding to ensure clubs aren't out of pocket doesn't seem to be in the RFL's ability.

Maybe the new, exciting third organisation will be able to do something.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Just now, gingerjon said:

Yes, I remember. I wasn't particularly impressed by clubs withdrawing but not being able to secure either sponsorship or distribute funding to ensure clubs aren't out of pocket doesn't seem to be in the RFL's ability.

Maybe the new, exciting third organisation will be able to do something.

Yep, hopefully the thirders can decide, tell the seconders who will then ask the firsters to do it....who will tell them to sod off.

16 minutes ago, David Shepherd said:

Fev definitely care. Wembley last year was fantastic for club, players and fans alike.

Tell me how this isn't caring about the comp. 

https://www.instagram.com/tv/CSBsyWqje0X/?utm_medium=copy_link

Please view my photos.

http://www.hughesphoto.co.uk/

Little Nook Farm - Caravan Club Certificated Location in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

http://www.facebook.com/LittleNookFarm

Little Nook Cottage - 2-bed self-catering cottage in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

Book now via airbnb

6 hours ago, gingerjon said:

Yup.

It was meant to be a meaningful competition for all lower level teams.

Now ... well, it seems that Leigh and Fev fans like it.

And, really, isn't that all that matters?

Now ? Fev fans like it ? We loved last year in the final at Wembley because there's not a cat in hell's chance we were ever going to get to Wembley in the cup final again.

2 minutes ago, clogdance said:

I miss the Northern Rail Cup, and even the middle 8's  😞

The Northern Rail Cup was great. The group stages they had seemed like a nice opener to the season and the finals were great (not that the 1895 Cup ones aren’t). 

2 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

I wasn't answering as a Leigh fan or SL centric Tommy, I was applauding the comp as a way of getting more fan's into the ground and more interest on the day.

I would have thought that people would be more concerned that this comp was thought up and financed by one Derek John Beaumont as a way of getting his club to a final🤭

No Harry you were saying someone with no direct club link or massively positive view of the competition shouldn't state their view

1 hour ago, Fevrover said:

I miss the Yorkshire Cup,Lancashire Cup,Floodlit Trophy and the Captain Morgan Trophy.

The bottom 16 cup was always something to strive for back in the 60s, in fact the 1895 cup could be seen as a streamlined version of that. 

5 hours ago, dkw said:

Exactly why the current format works. It cuts out all those lossmaking early rounds.

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

Archived