Leigh (A)

Wakefield Ram

15 hours ago, coolie said:

Unfortunately I'm double booked Friday night 

Hung Like Hanratty at Wakefield Vortex edges it for me 🤔

Only cos I've paid for the tickets and treating a mate to a night out 🤔🎸😀🎵😜🎹😉🎤

Pay your fiver now; avoid looking at your 'phone continually during the concert; watch it on OuRLeague from the start when you get home.

Easy, peasy!

• Like 3

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

On 29/03/2022 at 10:45, Blind side johnny said:

Pay your fiver now; avoid looking at your 'phone continually during the concert; watch it on OuRLeague from the start when you get home.

Easy, peasy!

Good idea... But the thought of a great night's entertainment listening to such classics as Ghost of Jimmy Saville, Danny The Tran-ny , Dougie the Druggy, Epstein's Diary 

Then having to endure 80 minutes of battering at Leigh will spoil the night

At least the Rhinos won't win either 🤔🤔

Edited by coolie
  • Haha 1

Now that the 21 man squad has been named for the Leigh encounter, I wonder how my selection will match the one that takes the field?

1 Dixon

2 Blackmore

3 Graham

4 Greensmith 

5 Gabriel

6 Sweeting 

7 Beharrell

8 Beckett

9 Butterworth 

10 Hall

11 Ryder

12 Knowles

13 Schofield

14 Speakman 

15 Stevens

16 Kidd

17 Tate

I suppose that Sykes or Smith could be at 6, but I think Magrin and Tomlinson are in there just to make up the numbers. 

If you are unaware, Will Tate is the HKR reserve wingman who raced along the North Stand touchline to score against us in the friendly.

Edited by Crown Flatter
  • Like 1
Legs, Dews, Legs.

21 hours ago, Crown Flatter said:

If you are unaware, Will Tate is the HKR reserve wingman who raced along the North Stand touchline to score against us in the friendly.

Well that's not any great shakes🤔

A lot of players have scored against us... And there will be quite a few more tonight 🤔😜

It’s getting closer to kick off and are we in for a treat this evening? Well the Leigh fans will be, not us. If only we had a defence such as Penrith has in the NRL, then everything would be great, but we haven’t, so it won’t be - great tonight that is.

Looks like we are in for a hiding, but I will be watching, via the ouRLeague app.  I’m not paying Leigh’s admission charges, plus it’s on a Friday night and the M62 makes life difficult at peak travelling time.

Leigh 64-6 Dewsbury 

Try scorer: Ryder

MoM: Speakman

Att: 2002

Check back later and see whether my score prediction is closer than my team selection.

Legs, Dews, Legs.

23 minutes ago, Crown Flatter said:

It’s getting closer to kick off and are we in for a treat this evening? Well the Leigh fans will be, not us. If only we had a defence such as Penrith has in the NRL, then everything would be great, but we haven’t, so it won’t be - great tonight that is.

Looks like we are in for a hiding, but I will be watching, via the ouRLeague app.  I’m not paying Leigh’s admission charges, plus it’s on a Friday night and the M62 makes life difficult at peak travelling time.

Leigh 64-6 Dewsbury 

Try scorer: Ryder

MoM: Speakman

Att: 2002

Check back later and see whether my score prediction is closer than my team selection.

Well we might as well try and throw the ball about. But lee will no doubt just say "tackle,tackle lads" 72-0

Sykes has been outstanding for us.But the very fact he is making him play again this season is one of many reasons why Lee should have been sacked.No i have not anything personal against Lee. Of course coaching Dewsbury in this league is very tough job ,also with the many off field problems to sort out.

I am glad that’s over and done with. Too many slips (literal ones) and errors and too slow with the ball in hand and passing was poor  

I thought Magrin and Knowles put in a good shift, along with Butterworth and Smith. The same could not be said for Gabriel and Ryder. 

I think we got off lightly with that score. 

On the Plus side for the game, the match had so few penalties. 

Edited by Crown Flatter
Legs, Dews, Legs.

To start with a plus point, from my perspective at least, the referee had a very good game: unintrusive, firm and decisive as well as letting the game flow.

Comparing the teams, even comparing the relative performances, is futile. One is full time with a budget 4x the other. We had almost a full pack of forwards missing (3 of whom are rumoured never to return). The coach had only 21 players to choose from, including one on DR and a loanee. Nobody was "forced" to play.

We must have had 30% of possession at best, which means that we spent the majority of the time defending, something that will tell eventually as Sean Richardson pointed out; tired players make mistakes, both in attack and defence.

There was no need for the players to feel ashamed of their performance - some of the Leigh players were a completely different class. However, I doubt that there were any positives to be gained from the game and it is difficult to see where our next victory will, realistically, come from.

• Like 2

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

I agree with BSJ, there was little expectation of even a close contest and I expect every team to struggle at Leigh, even perhaps Fev the only club that could run them close on their own ground. I would expect at least a score on the board. If you don't have the creatively to make one score, this is what would concern me more tbh

• Like 3

Touch Rugby W(h)inger and part-time Super Hero (Thursday mornings by appointment) :superman:

BATLEY BULLDOGS RLFC :bb:

4 minutes ago, Blind side johnny said:

To start with a plus point, from my perspective at least, the referee had a very good game: unintrusive, firm and decisive as well as letting the game flow.

Comparing the teams, even comparing the relative performances, is futile. One is full time with a budget 4x the other. We had almost a full pack of forwards missing (3 of whom are rumoured never to return). The coach had only 21 players to choose from, including one on DR and a loanee. Nobody was "forced" to play.

We must have had 30% of possession at best, which means that we spent the majority of the time defending, something that will tell eventually as Sean Richardson pointed out; tired players make mistakes, both in attack and defence.

There was no need for the players to feel ashamed of their performance - some of the Leigh players were a completely different class. However, I doubt that there were any positives to be gained from the game and it is difficult to see where our next victory will, realistically, come from.

Not with this coach.I didn't see the game .I knew it would be too b........y painful.We are as bad as Leeds.Couldn't score again in 80 minutes.How many times in the past number of years have the team failed to score in a half.Players in different positions if were true, i find hard to understand .Even with lots of injuries.But i believe there are major problems off field.

18 hours ago, silcoates said:

Sykes has been outstanding for us.But the very fact he is making him play again this season is one of many reasons why Lee should have been sacked.No i have not anything personal against Lee. Of course coaching Dewsbury in this league is very tough job ,also with the many off field problems to sort out.

Making Sykes play? I think you’ll find that he was desperate to carry on playing this year.

2 hours ago, silcoates said:

Not with this coach.I didn't see the game .I knew it would be too b........y painful.We are as bad as Leeds.Couldn't score again in 80 minutes.How many times in the past number of years have the team failed to score in a half.Players in different positions if were true, i find hard to understand .Even with lots of injuries.But i believe there are major problems off field.

I agree with you on that one,I also think that their are problems off the field 

On 02/04/2022 at 14:50, graham fisher said:

Making Sykes play? I think you’ll find that he was desperate to carry on playing this year.

I agree with you on that one,I also think that their are problems off the field 

I,VE spoken to Paul, of course  he wants to play on ,he loves it. That's not the point.We  need to find a couple of quality players to guide the rest. That's what we used to do ,to stay competitive.But the players don't seem to be about. An A team in my book is essential, but who knows.

• Like 2

The commentators before the match said that from watching the dewsbury warm up, it looked like we were going to try and match Leigh in the forwards. They said twice this was a bad idea and so it proved. They said our forwards were going to really feel it in their bodies the day after. Better to go around them than get battered up the middle they said. Unfortunately when we did try to go around we made little headway and plenty of errors. Our right wing is still porous and seems to get drawn into the middle. You could say Gabriel is everywhere but the wing. To make it worse it was said that Leigh did not play particularly well and could play much better.

Do you think some of the long term injured have lost interest ? I certainly have. No more games for me - not even the Easter local derby.

• Sad 1

8 hours ago, myview said:

Do you think some of the long term injured have lost interest ? I certainly have. No more games for me - not even the Easter local derby.

The championship is not an easy league and Dewsbury have been in a malaise for a few seasons now, but giving up on them won't help, I know and remember the many times Batley has survived by the skin of their teeth. The team will need the screaming loons to give them a lift when they play the likes of Batley, remember you cost us 3rd place last season by beating us at home!

Edited by Piggy's mate
  • Like 4

Touch Rugby W(h)inger and part-time Super Hero (Thursday mornings by appointment) :superman:

BATLEY BULLDOGS RLFC :bb:

21 hours ago, silcoates said:

I,VE spoken to Paul, of course  he wants to play on ,he loves it. That's not the point.We  need to find a couple of quality players to guide the rest. That's what we used to do ,to stay competitive.But the players don't seem to be about. An A team in my book is essential, but who knows.

You may have forgotten that you said: "Sykes has been outstanding for us. But the very fact he is making him play again this season is one of many reasons why Lee should have been sacked." LG hasn't made PS play again.

I agree that an A team would be very worthwhile; you may have overlooked the fact that the RFL wouldn't let clubs without academies form them.

We are told that there is money available to sign the right player(s). I don't know who they might be, however. I would welcome a couple of key signings, just like every other Dewsbury fan. It might be worth while remembering that some of our hopes rested upon Ferguson, Annakin, Walton etc adding experience and leadership. They now no longer appear to be available.

17 hours ago, myview said:

The commentators before the match said that from watching the dewsbury warm up, it looked like we were going to try and match Leigh in the forwards. They said twice this was a bad idea and so it proved. They said our forwards were going to really feel it in their bodies the day after. Better to go around them than get battered up the middle they said. Unfortunately when we did try to go around we made little headway and plenty of errors. Our right wing is still porous and seems to get drawn into the middle. You could say Gabriel is everywhere but the wing. To make it worse it was said that Leigh did not play particularly well and could play much better.

I think that their injuries may have turned out to be worse than originally believed. A couple may never play again, interested or not.

3 minutes ago, Blind side johnny said:

You may have forgotten that you said: "Sykes has been outstanding for us. But the very fact he is making him play again this season is one of many reasons why Lee should have been sacked." LG hasn't made PS play again.

I agree that an A team would be very worthwhile; you may have overlooked the fact that the RFL wouldn't let clubs without academies form them.

We are told that there is money available to sign the right player(s). I don't know who they might be, however. I would welcome a couple of key signings, just like every other Dewsbury fan. It might be worth while remembering that some of our hopes rested upon Ferguson, Annakin, Walton etc adding experience and leadership. They now no longer appear to be available.

The a team thing and academies ,yes i know about.But i don't agree with the rule.I enjoyed watching the successful second team we had a few years ago.Ferguson had that one outstanding game didn't he .Good signing i thought.Unlucky with injuries,may be.But it seems the same past number of seasons.

1 hour ago, gittinsfan said:

If what you say is true,surely this information should be made available to the fans.If only to prevent any speculation, rumour or false hope.

I am not a spokesman for the club so the truth, or otherwise, of what I hear cannot by guaranteed. Most sport thrive on rumour and speculation; I don't proclaim any hope, false or otherwise.

1 minute ago, Blind side johnny said:

I am not a spokesman for the club so the truth, or otherwise, of what I hear cannot by guaranteed. Most sport thrive on rumour and speculation; I don't proclaim any hope, false or otherwise.

I did'nt mean to infer that you were a spokesman for the club.