Sat 2nd-Sun 3rd Apr: The Betfred League One Match Thread

Really looking forward to seeing Cornwalls first game, unfortunately I think it will be a pretty comfortable win for Cru.

What's the long term plan for the Hurricanes? Is the move to the current ground only temporary? Have to say i'm not a fan of the generic Midlands over Coventry or Birmingham but good luck to them.

SATURDAY 2nd APRIL
North Wales Crusaders 46 v 8 Cornwall 
West Wales Raiders 6 v 58 Rochdale Hornets 

SUNDAY 3rd APRIL
Hunslet 18 v 16 Oldham KO 15:00
Keighley Cougars 24 v 16 Doncaster KO 15:00
Midlands Hurricanes 6 v 50 Swinton Lions KO 15:00

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply
23 hours ago, fevtom said:

Really looking forward to seeing Cornwalls first game, unfortunately I think it will be a pretty comfortable win for Cru.

What's the long term plan for the Hurricanes? Is the move to the current ground only temporary? Have to say i'm not a fan of the generic Midlands over Coventry or Birmingham but good luck to them.

SATURDAY 2nd APRIL
North Wales Crusaders 46 v 8 Cornwall 
West Wales Raiders 6 v 58 Rochdale Hornets 

SUNDAY 3rd APRIL
Hunslet 18 v 16 Oldham KO 15:00
Keighley Cougars 24 v 16 Doncaster KO 15:00
Midlands Hurricanes 6 v 50 Swinton Lions KO 15:00

Playing at Portway is just a temporary location as we couldn't stay at the Butts Park Arena and there isn't anywhere more suitable available at this point. The plans are to move into the new Birmingham stadium being built for the Commonwealth Games next season.

As one of the first Coventry Bears fans I am also struggling to get my head around the rebrand to a Midlands branding but I think it's a positive progression for getting more people involved in the game in the region. Perhaps we had exhausted the potential of growing the game in the city of Coventry itself.

North Wales, West Wales, Cornwall are all accepted with regional branding so I don't see anything wrong with it. Apart from trying to fit Midlands and Hurricanes into new chants....

SATURDAY 2nd APRIL
North Wales Crusaders 58 v 12 Cornwall 
West Wales Raiders 12 v 42 Rochdale Hornets 

SUNDAY 3rd APRIL
Hunslet 24 v 22 Oldham
Keighley Cougars 16 x 28 Doncaster
Midlands Hurricanes ? v ? Swinton Lions dunno really. Expect Lions to be too strong for us but they may not be fully up to speed and under-estimate what is needed to get wins in League 1. 

Just hope it doesn't snow!

9 minutes ago, Yorks Tim said:

Playing at Portway is just a temporary location as we couldn't stay at the Butts Park Arena and there isn't anywhere more suitable available at this point. The plans are to move into the new Birmingham stadium being built for the Commonwealth Games next season.

As one of the first Coventry Bears fans I am also struggling to get my head around the rebrand to a Midlands branding but I think it's a positive progression for getting more people involved in the game in the region. Perhaps we had exhausted the potential of growing the game in the city of Coventry itself.

North Wales, West Wales, Cornwall are all accepted with regional branding so I don't see anything wrong with it. Apart from trying to fit Midlands and Hurricanes into new chants....

Midlands Hurricanes fits to the tune of 'Knees up Mother Brown"....you're welcome!

Huge learning curve for Cornwall, no warm up matches and only enough players at the club to do the basics.

Quite a few of the team have no experience with the play the ball and the 10 metre retreat etc, they’ll have to learn on the job and learn quick. It’s going to look very messy at times but if they go back and work on the areas exposed during each game they’ll improve from match to match

9 minutes ago, OMEGA said:

Quite a few of the team have no experience with the play the ball and the 10 metre retreat etc, 

AFAIK, there is only 1 player in the squad who hasn't previously played rugby league elsewhere.

Cornwall score their first competitive try. Matthew Turton goes into the history book.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

On 30/03/2022 at 20:27, fearnowt said:

Booked the afternoon off work on Saturday and will be dragging the Mrs along for her first, (and probably only) rugby game. She's only coming because we've been invited to a birthday party in Llanddulas, about 10 minutes drive from the stadium. Naturally, I'm not giving up the rugby when it's so close. 😉

I understand the 5:30pm kick off time is being driven by Conwy Council, although I have also been told that the time is not set in stone. With no changes yet announced by the club, I am now assuming like many others, that this will be the time for all of our home games. Of course you can't please everyone all of the time, but there are fans who have been season ticket holders since the club formed who now find themselves unable to attend any home games, which is a real shame, from what is otherwise an exceptionally well run club.

Why do the council favour 5.30pm?

Cornwall in again! 34:20 with ktc.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Archived