Sat 2nd-Sun 3rd Apr: The Betfred League One Match Thread

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's been a good effort from Cornwall. NWC away is one the hardest games they'll have this year and they've put up a good fight.

They look like they will win a few games this season, because they're only going to improve from here

Finished 60-22

Cornwall completely ran out of steam in the last 10 minutes and NWC ran in tries at will. That was inevitable with a brand new team and no pre-season games

Still a good effort from Cornwall

I don't think people should get carried away either way based on that result. Need to give them time to develop. You wouldn't guess they shipped 60 points the way some are reacting.

Not the disastrous start that might have been expected which hopefully bodes well for the season.

3 minutes ago, paulwalker71 said:

Finished 60-22

Cornwall completely ran out of steam in the last 10 minutes and NWC ran in tries at will. That was inevitable with a brand new team and no pre-season games

Still a good effort from Cornwall

Quarters two and three, Cornwall did pretty well. Plenty to build on. I've a feeling it'll be a much closer game next weekend when the new-boys host Midlands Hurricanes. 

2 hours ago, Hopping Mad said:

Quarters two and three, Cornwall did pretty well. Plenty to build on. I've a feeling it'll be a much closer game next weekend when the new-boys host Midlands Hurricanes. 

Thought Cornwall did ok ( and I'm not some Luddite hoping that they will fail )  but the lots on here  praising them are also missing the massive 'elephant in the room'..

It was their first game and nobody had a clue how they would go , where their strengths and weaknesses lay ..

Now after that first game every coach in L1 is going to have them analysed via video and their structure /plays /  frailties are going to be somewhat exposed - and tbf to North Wales they expoited those weaknesses  especially on the Ah Van / Massam side of the field  where they were just ripping in at will ...   

Midlands aren't the whipping boys of L1 by any means and Cornwall will be just as much under the cosh in Penryn next week and probably then some ..

1 hour ago, paulwalker71 said:

It's been a good effort from Cornwall. NWC away is one the hardest games they'll have this year and they've put up a good fight.

They look like they will win a few games this season, because they're only going to improve from here

Against who? 

3 hours ago, Colin James said:

I don't think people should get carried away either way based on that result. Need to give them time to develop. You wouldn't guess they shipped 60 points the way some are reacting.

Not the disastrous start that might have been expected which hopefully bodes well for the season.

The first twenty was - as anyone of reasonable mind would have expected - a shock to the system. Like jumping in a cold plunge pool. 

But we have a really 'together' bunch of guys, and they showed an immense amount of spirit to hold on and stay focused. There were no 'losers' today.

We will get better and better. Neil will see to that, and it starts next week at Penryn. 

For a first outing and with no pre season games under their belts I thought that Cornwall didn't do too badly. They spent most of the first half getting organised (lack of any pre season games in play here) and at the end they were basically knackered. They're a light weight side with one exception, get a couple of larger players in and they should be OK.

I expect they'll finish above West Wales and at least be somewhat competitive with Midlands and Skolars. There could be a quite interesting mini league with the four most southern teams. The first season is all about laying something to build on.

I only saw the first half due to having to go to a wedding, but from what I did see:-

1. our discipline was shocking!!! the 2 sin-bins were wholly justified, the poke/slap was totally uncalled for, likewise the cannonball hit for the second one. Cru have never been a bad team for such things, and I hope Muzza cracks down on it pretty darn quickly.

2. That lack of discipline probably cost us more points - in what I expect to be a very tight top half of the table this year, pts diff could prove crucial and therefore racking up big scores where possible should always be the aim.

3. The wide shifts were effective, but playing that game too much leads to interceptions and therefore no surprise that Cornwall's first try in 2nd half was an interception (we did well to avoid any in the first half).

4. Attacking we look good, but after last week at hornets and some iffy patches first half, defence is another thing for Muzza to get tightened up sharpish. It's more concerning as through the CC games our defence was pretty solid against L1  and amateur teams, don't want it to cost us through the season.

cru....Cru.....CRUSADERS!!!!!!

A decent effort from Cornwall being as it was there first game in league one. Going forward they had some good moments but lacked a lot in defence especially on their right flank where I think we ran in eight tries fairly easily. Overall If I was a Cornwall supporter I would’ve been happy with that display. They have something to build on

It was, to misquote a phrase, a game of three halves

• First 25 minutes Cornwall were completely shell shocked
  • Middle 30 minutes they actually competed quite well
  • Last 25 minutes totally ran out of steam

In essence, this was Cornwall's 'pre season'. I don't know why they didn't have a warm up match, but they didn't - so they spent a fair bit of this game getting themselves organised. 

Someone posted the background to their team on the Cornwall thread. It's incredibly inexperienced. It's also threadbare. They'll get injuries at some stage so they need 4-5 more bodies sharpish.

I know they are determined to be local, but a handful of tough, experienced Northerners would make the world of difference to that team. 

Is there a team they could DR with, just get inject some experience into the key positions?

On 29/03/2022 at 23:37, Barley Mow said:

North Wales Crusaders v Cornwall
West Wales Raiders v Rochdale Hornets
Hunslet v Oldham - too close to call, I'll say a draw.
Keighley Cougars v Doncaster
Midlands Hurricanes v Swinton Lions

I know it's bad form to quote yourself, but I'll just leave this here!

On 02/04/2022 at 08:53, gogledd said:

Midlands Hurricanes fits to the tune of 'Knees up Mother Brown"....you're welcome!

On 02/04/2022 at 08:56, Yorks Tim said:

Brilliant!

Just have to think of something for lines 3 and 4 now. 🤔

Midlands Hurricanes!

Midlands Hurricanes!

S*d off those who kick and clap,

We've no time for all that ######

...on reflection, in a part of the country where 'rugby' almost invariably means 'union', it might be a bit wiser and kinder to feel sorry for our dark friends who have yet to see the light that will free them...!

As a neutral, I attended the Keighley-Doncaster game this afternoon.

Don't know how it came across on The Sportsman, but it didn't do a great deal for me. I know it's early in the season, but the play, the odd flash aside, felt mundane.

The only time the crowd - 863 (announced) - really got excited was when Cougars wing Mo Agoro got the ball. His four or five barnstorming runs were enough to secure the official man of the match award.

Really disappointed with Doncaster. I thought they were very poor. Typified, I would say, by Connor Robinson failing to find touch with a second half penalty.

Five tries to one. Keighley held up in goal four times, Doncaster once. 26-6 FT (10-0 HT).

Admission was £15 and a very decent 48-page programme (produced by Footie Print & Design) cost £2.50.

Had a chat, before kick-off, with a Dons supporter, attending with his son. He said, five years ago, he decided to give up on football. Seeking a rugby alternative, he emailed both Doncaster RLFC and Doncaster Knights RUFC, asking each about ticket prices, family offers, attendance levels and so on. He said the RL club replied within the hour. He is still waiting for a response from the kick-and-clap bods! Well done, the Dons! Two new fans you managed to attract and retain.

Another disappoinitng scoreline for Midlands Hurricanes but a good day out at our new temporary home. Swinton were just too good for us and I expect they will walk this division and be back in the Championship next season. Hurricanes did score three decent tries though but were punished for silly mistakes.

The Portway ground reminded me of NCL days with three sides being grass banks. Had there not been an icy wnd it would have been a lovely spot to watch the game. Decent food and beer though was very welcome.

Archived