Sat 2nd-Sun 3rd Apr: The Betfred League One Match Thread

15 minutes ago, Hopping Mad said:

As a neutral, I attended the Keighley-Doncaster game this afternoon.

Don't know how it came across on The Sportsman, but it didn't do a great deal for me. I know it's early in the season, but the play, the odd flash aside, felt mundane.

I watched it on The Sportsman and have to say found it pretty dull as well.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 minutes ago, Yorks Tim said:

Another disappoinitng scoreline for Midlands Hurricanes but a good day out at our new temporary home. Swinton were just too good for us and I expect they will walk this division and be back in the Championship next season. Hurricanes did score three decent tries though but were punished for silly mistakes.

The Portway ground reminded me of NCL days with three sides being grass banks. Had there not been an icy wnd it would have been a lovely spot to watch the game. Decent food and beer though was very welcome.

I see Hurricanes have been advertising, on their website, a match programme. Was there actually one to buy?

1 minute ago, Hopping Mad said:

I see Hurricanes have been advertising, on their website, a match programme. Was there actually one to buy?

No mate, but if you want to actually pay for one, I could download one for you and email it? 😉

Coventry Bears stopped printing them a few seasons ago as there weren't enough people buying them for it to make commercial sense. Also the trees.....

Just now, Yorks Tim said:

No mate, but if you want to actually pay for one, I could download one for you and email it? 😉

Coventry Bears stopped printing them a few seasons ago as there weren't enough people buying them for it to make commercial sense. Also the trees.....

Thanks for the offer, Tim. I'll do that when I visit Hurricanes later this season.

38 minutes ago, Yorks Tim said:

Another disappoinitng scoreline for Midlands Hurricanes but a good day out at our new temporary home. Swinton were just too good for us and I expect they will walk this division and be back in the Championship next season. Hurricanes did score three decent tries though but were punished for silly mistakes.

The Portway ground reminded me of NCL days with three sides being grass banks. Had there not been an icy wnd it would have been a lovely spot to watch the game. Decent food and beer though was very welcome.

Was at the game. Food was sublime and an excellent touch of quality to any RL fans and neutrals that attended. My burger was gone within a minute.

Rugby was decent but it was clear who the ex-Championship club were. Too big, too strong and excellent shape. Hurricanes competed well though and went into half-time still very much in the game.

7 minutes ago, Yorks Tim said:

Not sure we get many Lions fans here but I hope the supporter who needed medical attention late in the second half is okay. Was the rubber ring a factor?

Seconded… really hope they’re ok. The 10-minute stoppage was rather eerie. Here’s hoping they’re ok. 

46 minutes ago, Hopping Mad said:

Don't know how it came across on The Sportsman, but it didn't do a great deal for me. I know it's early in the season, but the play, the odd flash aside, felt mundane.

The only time the crowd - 863 (announced) - really got excited was when Cougars wing Mo Agoro got the ball. His four or five barnstorming runs were enough to secure the official man of the match award.

Really disappointed with Doncaster. I thought they were very poor. Typified, I would say, by Connor Robinson failing to find touch with a second half penalty.

Five tries to one. Keighley held up in goal four times, Doncaster once. 26-6 FT (12-6 HT).

Agreed It wasn't a classic. However watching the game as a Cougar fan i can't complain.

I thought the Cougars defence was excellent (for the second week) and in attack always looked dangerous.

Not getting ahead of myself yet, but so far so good.

1 hour ago, Yorks Tim said:

Nice update. Did they announce the attendance?

Also,.if this is their temporary home, where will their permanent home be and when do they move there?

5 minutes ago, langpark said:

Nice update. Did they announce the attendance?

Also,.if this is their temporary home, where will their permanent home be and when do they move there?

You couldn't hear the PA announcements but I'd say 5/600 with maybe 2/3rds coming with the visiting team.

Not sure if the next permanent home is public domain yet but will be a prestigious stadium in Birmingham itself.

1 hour ago, Hopping Mad said:

The only time the crowd - 863 (announced) - really got excited was when Cougars wing Mo Agoro got the ball. His four or five barnstorming runs were enough to secure the official man of the match award.

Really disappointed with Doncaster. I thought they were very poor. Typified, I would say, by Connor Robinson failing to find touch with a second half penalty.

Five tries to one. Keighley held up in goal four times, Doncaster once. 26-6 FT (12-6 HT).

Admission was £15 and a very decent 48-page programme (produced by Footie Print & Design) cost £2.50.

Had a chat, before kick-off, with a Dons supporter, attending with his son. He said, five years ago, he decided to give up on football. Seeking a rugby alternative, he emailed both Doncaster RLFC and Doncaster Knights RUFC, asking each about ticket prices, family offers, attendance levels and so on. He said the RL club replied within the hour. He is still waiting for a response from the kick-and-clap bods! Well done, the Dons! Two new fans you managed to attract and retain.

1 hour ago, Jeff Stein said:

I watched it on The Sportsman and have to say found it pretty dull as well.

While I agree it,perhaps,wasn't the most expansive of games,it should be noted that Keighley have only conceded one try in each of their two opening games.

There was a cold,strong wind throughout the game so throwing the ball around wasn't going to be the best option for what appears to be the new,disciplined,professional,AND winning Keighley Cougars.

We did keep Doncaster to nil in the 1st half.Last time we played;we lost and conceded in the last minute.

The next home game for Keighley Cougars is against Swinton Lions.

Better weather and a better game for the neutral;guaranteed.

No reserves,but resilience,persistence and determination are omnipotent.                       

Over 400 at Portway today with a pretty big Swinton contingent. 

As a ground its not as good as the Butts arena but the match day experience was better with great food and beer. Commercially it was a success and I'm sure the club will build on it with community events etc for other games. The club will also use this year to refine the experience before heading to Birmingham next year. 

In terms of the match the scoreline flattered Swinton a little but they looked very very good. So clinical and used the ball extremely well. Think they will punish a lot of teams this year. Good tries from the Hurricanes so we'll cause teams problems going forward for sure. 

It sounds like they got some great things going on, I noticed this as well....

Will they be able to take the bar with them to their eventual permanent home?  Or have a similar arrangement with the bar at that ground?  I do hope so.

47 minutes ago, langpark said:

It sounds like they got some great things going on, I noticed this as well....

Will they be able to take the bar with them to their eventual permanent home?  Or have a similar arrangement with the bar at that ground?  I do hope so.

Yes it's a converted haulage crate. The plan at the new stadium is to be able sell beer and food. Something Coventry/Hurricanes have not been able to do before 

Archived