Fri 1st-Sun 3rd Apr: The Betfred Championship (Non-TV) Match Thread

10 minutes ago, Derwent said:

Haven’s efforts against Saints catching up with them ?

Possibly and 2 late withdrawals this morning leaving them with a 3 man bench won’t have helped,but it’s still no excuse for a collapse like that,it’s Halifax not the Melbourne Storm.

On 29/03/2022 at 22:05, Barley Mow said:

Leigh Centurions v Dewsbury Rams
Barrow Raiders v Batley Bulldogs
Featherstone Rovers v Sheffield Eagles
Halifax Panthers v Whitehaven
London Broncos v Bradford Bulls
Workington Town v York City Knights 

☝️

• Like 2

Barrow beaten by a clearly better Batley side. A man sent off after 30 mins didn't help, but you could see the difference between a good well gelled side who has played many seasons at this level and a good side still trying to make a mark. 

I'm not going to bash the individual referees but I feel the RFL have promoted a lot of referees with a lack of understanding of the game (haven't played) who combat this with arrogance and bold decisions (to appear in control). The RFL need to look how they train referees. 

4 minutes ago, RSN said:

Barrow beaten by a clearly better Batley side. A man sent off after 30 mins didn't help, but you could see the difference between a good well gelled side who has played many seasons at this level and a good side still trying to make a mark. 

I'm not going to bash the individual referees but I feel the RFL have promoted a lot of referees with a lack of understanding of the game (haven't played) who combat this with arrogance and bold decisions (to appear in control). The RFL need to look how they train referees. 

Maybe appoint all those ex players who apply to be refs ? 😉

• Like 2

Just now, GUBRATS said:

Maybe appoint all those ex players who apply to be refs ? 😉

You can still coach people understanding of the game rather than think they're good refs by being arrogant and bold. 

On 30/03/2022 at 12:40, Jill Halfpenny fan said:

I find it interesting that Leigh are allowing this.

I know York did it for the Widnes game and I believe they kept all the receipts but who paid for the broadcasting?

Anyone know the viewing figures for that game?

Leigh covered the costs and took the receipts - best commentators in RL showed Premier how it should be done.

DB was in favour of Our League as the Broadcaster for the Championship - it potentially adds decent commercial value to the App and most clubs have the capability to Broadcast for peanuts without moving games to the crazy monday night slot

13 minutes ago, RSN said:

I was very pleased with the Batley win.

Barrow looked a very good team last week against Huddersfield and I was cheering them on.

Obviously Barrow had a tough game last week, they were unbeaten and have some very good players so a win for Batley there is excellent. It builds on the draw with Featherstone also.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, dixiedean said:

More than that. They'll have only beaten the two winless teams. It may start to look like a relegation battle.

My post seemed to inspire an instant turnaround.

Am available for other clubs. Cheap rates.

• Haha 3

8 minutes ago, RSN said:

You can still coach people understanding of the game rather than think they're good refs by being arrogant and bold. 

I don’t think that the ref was arrogant at all. Stack carried on far too long having a go at the ref. Not like him, so something may have got to him, but as captain and an experienced player he should know when to stop. Maloudi was still having a go at the touch judge as he went off.  Of course the usual “refreshed” members of the crowd are convinced we was robbed.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, JLandsman said:

I don’t think that the ref was arrogant at all. Stack carried on far too long having a go at the ref. Not like him, so something may have got to him, but as captain and an experienced player he should know when to stop. Maloudi was still having a go at the touch judge as he went off.  Of course the usual “refreshed” members of the crowd are convinced we was robbed.

Batley still win the game easily with a proper referee not arguing that. 

I'm not discussing play by play on a forum but most rugby fans who get the game will have encountered the type of referee we had today and the frustration it caused. In my opinion the route cause is an RFL training issue. 

1 hour ago, sweaty craiq said:

Leigh covered the costs and took the receipts - best commentators in RL showed Premier how it should be done.

DB was in favour of Our League as the Broadcaster for the Championship - it potentially adds decent commercial value to the App and most clubs have the capability to Broadcast for peanuts without moving games to the crazy monday night slot

LOL, the Premier Monday night coverage has been universally acclaimed but Craig's still on message and faithfully towing the party line. Have they had the vote yet?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, RSN said:

I'm not discussing play by play on a forum but most rugby fans who get the game will have encountered the type of referee we had today and the frustration it caused. In my opinion the route cause is an RFL training issue. 

All referees at the level you were watching will have had many years of both experience and training. If players can’t keep their discipline that is their fault

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, RSN said:

I wasn’t inferring that you were one of the “we was robbed” gang and you stated in your first post that Batley were the better team. I think refs need all the help they can get, but like all sports officials are selected from an ever decreasing pool. Back to the game, I think for the first time this season our lack of depth in the props was a factor. Our pack was dominated by Batley’s and it is a tough few weeks ahead. On the whole though I think we are in a good place.

3 hours ago, LeeF said:

All referees at the level you were watching will have had many years of both experience and training. If players can’t keep their discipline that is their fault

All of the training and all of that experience does not mean they are any good though. 

Take Mikalauskas as an example. He was a full time ref until this season, and probably received the very best training the RFL can offer, and he certainly has lots of experience, so what is his excuse for being so dreadful? Pauli Pauli commited 2 sending off offences in the recent York game at the Mount, he picked up suspensions for both incidents at the disciplinary panel, yet didn't get a card for either during the game, at a time when cards were being dished out like confetti.

I'm sure I could train really hard and be coached by some of the finest coaches in RL, it doesn't mean I'll be good enough to be making an appearance in the upcoming world cup does it?

Edited by DOGFATHER