Sun 3rd Apr: SL: Wakefield Trinity v Salford Red Devils KO 15:00

Who will win?  

46 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• Wakefield Trinity
    • Salford Red Devils

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 03/04/22 at 14:30

What a crazy amazing match. I was too shell shocked at the end to fully enjoy it. It was just utter relief to hear the hooter. Only now is it fully sinking in that I was utterly privileged to be there today to see some of those tries and that complete masterclass from the wizard that is Tom Johnstone. I know the two league points could be vital but if we'd succeeded in throwing that away (and we came a lot closer to doing so than the scoreline suggests) I would have been equally disappointed that I had been robbed of the warm glow I will now feel when I watch the game back and remember from the rocking chair in the old people's home (not quite there yet BTW)! 

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, Loiner said:

When he's fit to play.

When he's fit to play.

When he's fit to play.

When he's fit to play.

Could you just repeat that? I missed it.

My blog: https://rugbyl.blogspot.co.nz/

It takes wisdom to know when a discussion has run its course.

It takes reasonableness to end that discussion. 

18 minutes ago, DG70 said:

Doesn't bode well for Salford looking at their next 4 fixtures, could well be bottom by the end of the month.

Not gonna happen - they'll still be ahead of Leeds 😁

St.Helens - The Home of record breaking Rugby Champions

Some of the tries were pretty spectacular but there wasn't half some soft defence on show. And the pass TJ received for his second, well...

Hull FC....The Sons of God...
                                                                     (Well, we are about to be crucified on Good Friday)

5 minutes ago, Old Frightful said:

And the pass TJ received for his second, well...

I can see why you say that but I think it was OK. It was close but I think if Miller had kept moving forward after he'd passed it instead of running into the Salford man it wouldn't have looked controversial.

1 hour ago, Old Frightful said:

And the pass TJ received for his second, well...

Interesting one that. A real tester of people's understanding of a forward pass.

The ball itself clearly goes forward as it crosses a line on the pitch, but that doesn't make it a forward pass. It's relative to the passer, not the pitch (unlike knock-ons).

However, Hood gets stopped by the Salford defender at the exact moment he releases the ball. How did it come out of his hands? If he'd continued, where would he have got to?

Difficult to judge from the reverse angle. The touch judge was in the best position to see it. 50/50 at worst. Flat is OK.

1 hour ago, north yorks trinity said:

I can see why you say that but I think it was OK. It was close but I think if Miller had kept moving forward after he'd passed it instead of running into the Salford man it wouldn't have looked controversial.

9 minutes ago, Wholly Trinity said:

Interesting one that. A real tester of people's understanding of a forward pass.

The ball itself clearly goes forward as it crosses a line on the pitch, but that doesn't make it a forward pass. It's relative to the passer, not the pitch (unlike knock-ons).

However, Hood gets stopped by the Salford defender at the exact moment he releases the ball. How did it come out of his hands? If he'd continued, where would he have got to?

Difficult to judge from the reverse angle. The touch judge was in the best position to see it. 50/50 at worst. Flat is OK.

Sorry, but I just went back and watched it again.

Miller throws it forward, simple as that.

I'm fully aware of how a ball can travel forward without it being a forward pass but when Miller passes the ball his hand movements have to be backwards in relation to his body as he's running forward, so if he's running fast enough the ball may well still travel forward.

But he throws it forward.

Hull FC....The Sons of God...
                                                                     (Well, we are about to be crucified on Good Friday)

16 minutes ago, Old Frightful said:

Sorry, but I just went back and watched it again.

Miller throws it forward, simple as that.

I'm fully aware of how a ball can travel forward without it being a forward pass but when Miller passes the ball his hand movements have to be backwards in relation to the lines on the pitch, so if he's running fast enough the ball may well still travel forward.

But he throws it forward.

I'm not sure you can clearly see his passing action from there. At the moment of release TJ is behind him and running at a similar pace and he doesn't accelerate onto the ball. He doesn't have to pass backwards only not forwards. You end up with the optical illusion like 6 min plus on the training video below.

3 hours ago, north yorks trinity said:

Looked ok to me too.

Ugh arg eh! 

Johnstone really rolled us over first half. Seems each team we play, a previous dormant volcano explodes into sparkling form. Yes you Mr Connor.

Fair do, I mean aside from curiously non forward forward passes, it is said that the reds' defending first half had alot not to praise. The edges were erm, yeah. 

But I feel I am repeating myself by saying clearly this team is fit, judging by the now numerous 2nd half punishments it inflicts. 20-4 in the last 40 was all that be taken for SRD from this. But lets be honest it was lost in the 1st half and Wakey were deserved winners.

Seems Greenwood, Wright and maybe Sarginson are out for the season. Escare is probably on his way. Livett, Burgess and Watkins are likely to be back soon though.

Reminding myself of the chaos of the Dick Marshall era and the way he seemingly unpicked all the good work of Watson and Rowley, I think the re-build is about where we should be.

Anymore will be a bonus and as I keep saying, at the moment avoiding relegation remains the priority whilst we stay at the AJ Bell of Risible Income Generation. 

Ever forward kids. Next up Wires away and the Catalans home. Keep smiling.

20 minutes ago, OMEGA said:

Let’s not ignore the absolutely quality pass that Young Cory Hall delivered to TJ for the first try. That’s a subtle Centres skill that is unfortunately all too rare in todays Centres.

Corey Hall hardly gets a mentioned but he has been absolute class and not put a foot wrong.

His awareness and decision making are excellent.

Bill Tupou will have to be at his all time best to displace him.

On 04/04/2022 at 09:47, Kirmonds pouch said:

You felt the need to make that pointless comment for times, wow.

Don't take that as a disrespectful comment might have worded it wrong. 

Archived