Fri 1st Apr: SL: Leeds Rhinos v St Helens KO 20:00 (Sky)

Who will win?  

51 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• Leeds Rhinos
    • St Helens

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 01/04/22 at 19:30

• Replies 297
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, RBKnight said:

And that's just at the Play-the Ball 😁

Pity is those yards are not included in Walmsleys stats, 2 yards a tackle minimum of 25 carries a game = 50+mtrs which if added to his legal meters would be quite some total at the end of a season.

Joking apart in all honesty why are player's allowed to do this, Charnley is another glaring example of stealing yard(meter)age, I would welcome a clamp down on this practise, but it is usually quite the reverse, I have seen on many occasions the tackler standing his ground where the tackle as been effected only for the guy in possession to start his "crawl forward" and gain a free kick or a set restart for interference, are the ref's being purposely blind to this action. Robert Hicks told a player to retreat to where he was tackled in a game last week - why, it should be a free kick it has been done with intention - it will be very noticable if Hicks is going to be consistent with this.

29 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Pity is those yards are not included in his stats, 2 yards a tackle minimum of 25 carries a game = 50+mtrs which if added to his legal meters would be quite some total at the end of a season.

Joking apart in all honesty why are player's allowed to do this, Charnley is another glaring example of stealing yard(meter)age, I would welcome a clamp down on this practise, but it is usually quite the reverse, I have seen on many occasions the tackler standing his ground where the tackle as been effected only for the guy in possession to start his "crawl forward" and gain a free kick or a set restart for interference, are the ref's being purposely blind to this action. Robert Hicks told a player to retreat to where he was tackled in a game last week - why, it should be a free kick it has been done with intention - it will be very noticable if Hicks is going to be consistent with this.

Yep, I agree.  I have watched players getting penalised for effectively holding their ground in the correct position.   Even worse the attacking player pushing forcefully the defending player whom is standing correctly... and not being penalised or spoken too...

22 minutes ago, redjonn said:

Yep, I agree.  I have watched players getting penalised for effectively holding their ground in the correct position.   Even worse the attacking player pushing forcefully the defending player whom is standing correctly... and not being penalised or spoken too...

At the risk of going off topic, the current liberal interpretation by referees of where the mark is, and allowing players to make no real attempt to play the ball with the foot, makes the ruck area a bit of a mess at the moment. This is in stark contrast to ensuring that players actually regain their feet before playing the ball, which is still vigorously policed.....

Both teams got reasonably strong 1st choice squad number starters available. Leeds missing 2 (Fusitua), 3 (Newman) & 13 (Tetevano), Saints missing 3 (Hopoate), 5 (Grace), 10 (Lees) & 11 (Mata'utia). 

Walmsley & Knowles are having late fitness tests at the end of the week so both are 50/50 to play.

St.Helens - The Home of record breaking Rugby Champions

1 hour ago, RBKnight said:

At the risk of going off topic, the current liberal interpretation by referees of where the mark is, and allowing players to make no real attempt to play the ball with the foot, makes the ruck area a bit of a mess at the moment. This is in stark contrast to ensuring that players actually regain their feet before playing the ball, which is still vigorously policed.....

I think this is to reduce the number fo players throwing themselves on the floor during/after playing the ball, looking for a penalty for interference.  And I tend to agree with it.  Anything which is designed to reduce 'playing for the penalty' is a good thing, in my book.

27 minutes ago, Saint Toppy said:

Both teams got reasonably strong 1st choice squad number starters available. Leeds missing 2 (Fusitua), 3 (Newman) & 13 (Tetevano), Saints missing 3 (Hopoate), 5 (Grace), 10 (Lees) & 11 (Mata'utia). 

Walmsley & Knowles are having late fitness tests at the end of the week so both are 50/50 to play.

You will miss Walmsley for his constant cheating at the ptb,  Knowles is one of the most overrated players in super league. 

43 minutes ago, Moove said:

Based on what, out of interest?

Leeds produce the best players ever. No player developed by any other club comes anywhere close to the levels of superstardom achieved by every player Leeds produce. I mean just image how many World Cups England would win if the coach just picked his team made up entirely of Leeds home grown players. The Aussies & Kiwi's would be trebling with fear at the thought of having to face such superhuman players. We obviously only pick players from other clubs to keep the Aussies & Kiwi's interested and to give them a chance of winning.

I'm really struggling to see who's fault it is at the Leeds club why they're not currently top of the league and thrashing their opponents by 100 points every week. I mean according to the likes of Loiner & SKS the Leeds youngsters are so good everybody else just may as well not turn up and Leeds should just be given every trophy every year 🤣

Meanwhile back in the real world, the only reason Loiner thinks he's over-rated is he is a Saints youngster and not a Leeds home grown one.

47 minutes ago, Loiner said:

You will miss Walmsley for his constant cheating at the ptb,  Knowles is one of the most overrated players in super league. 

It really irks you that Leeds haven't produced a decent home grown player for years doesn't it !! (cue to response of Harry "sick note" Newman is the greatest centre ever 😉 )

1 hour ago, Saint Toppy said:

It really irks you that Leeds haven't produced a decent home grown player for years doesn't it !! (cue to response of Harry "sick note" Newman is the greatest centre ever 😉 )

Not nearly as much as those GF losses seem to irk some saints fans 😉

fwiw Knowles isn’t over rated. He’s also from Barrow.

3 hours ago, Saint Toppy said:

There you go making up quotes and passing them off as others.

Leeds produce the best players ever. No player developed by any other club comes anywhere close to the levels of superstardom achieved by every player Leeds produce. I mean just image how many World Cups England would win if the coach just picked his team made up entirely of Leeds home grown players. The Aussies & Kiwi's would be trebling with fear at the thought of having to face such superhuman players. We obviously only pick players from other clubs to keep the Aussies & Kiwi's interested and to give them a chance of winning.

I'm really struggling to see who's fault it is at the Leeds club why they're not currently top of the league and thrashing their opponents by 100 points every week. I mean according to the likes of Loiner & SKS the Leeds youngsters are so good everybody else just may as well not turn up and Leeds should just be given every trophy every year 🤣

Meanwhile back in the real world, the only reason Loiner thinks he's over-rated is he is a Saints youngster and not a Leeds home grown one.

Where have I ever stated Leeds juniors are the best ever ? Nowhere. There are many players at other clubs I admire,Saints & Wigan well renowned for producing juniors. As for Knowles can't put my finger on the reason. It's certainly not out of any petty jealousy of St Helens like toppy has of Leeds. Anyway Saints by +30 on Friday.

Again where have I stated he's the best, you will find the holy grail faster than any statement by me regarding that.

31 minutes ago, Loiner said:

Where have I ever stated Leeds juniors are the best ever ? Nowhere. There are many players at other clubs I admire,Saints & Wigan well renowned for producing juniors. As for Knowles can't put my finger on the reason. It's certainly not out of any petty jealousy of St Helens like toppy has of Leeds. Anyway Saints by +30 on Friday.

Take no notice he's got Chronic leeds phobia 

Soon we will be dancing the fandango
FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB HAS DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESSTHEN i DONT KNOW WHAT IS.

JAMIE PEACOCK

14 hours ago, Saint Toppy said:

Walmsley gets all the plaudits, and rightly so, but now he isn't playing its noticeable how the middle defence suffers without Lees. Not the greatest metre maker but he does a lot of the unglamorous stuff, chasing kicks, leading the defensive line up the middle, getting out from market to pressure the lead runner.

The likes of Walmsley & Paasi catch the eye with their strong runs but in terms of defence the 3 mainstays of the Saints pack are Roby, Lees & Knowles. With Lees & Knowles looking likely to miss this game their middle defence just isn't as strong.

Lees’s tackling has improved so much over the last few years, especially in 20&21. i always remember him & Peyroux being near the top of the missed tackle list. Like you say he doesn’t make many yards which is a worry for me, we can’t rely on AW all the time. I don’t know if we have any up and coming young props coming through the Academy. If not we are going to have to look in the Championship & League 1, there are some decent players down in those leagues and hopefully we would have to pay a transfer fee. That in turn would help the that club. 

it could be Roby’s 500th game for saints on Friday, what a fantastic player he has been. He still looks in good shape but he must be feeling it a lot more now. I had a chance too talk to him a couple of years ago and he really is a polite humble man. Id class him as a better hooker then KC. I just hope he never becomes the saints coach

Archived