Thur 31st Mar: SL: Wigan Warriors v Hull FC KO 20:00 (Sky)

Who will win?  

44 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• Wigan Warriors
    • Hull FC

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 31/03/22 at 19:30

4 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

I think that Harry Smith had a lot of the 'next best thing' put on him early doors (as was Morgan Smithies) both have yet to fulfil any semblance that they will be great player's and acheive the level that was expected of them.

Agree with Smith, he’s struggling when he gets given a chance and is getting towards a make or break point. I don’t agree with Smithies tbh. He was given a lot of praise for the huge early promise he showed and in particular breaking that tackling record. He’s had a couple of decent (if not great) seasons since and is playing really well so far this season. He’s still really young but is developing quite nicely and will have a fantastic career at Wigan IMO. 

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply
52 minutes ago, Loiner said:

Wigan by +10, can't say I've ever been impressed with Smith. Maybe the lad needs more game time, Leuleui time is over should play the Young lad more often.

The way Leuluai is playing this season it doesn’t look to be over for him yet, he’s been superb. 

Smith played pretty much every week last season and failed his audition to take Hastings place unfortunately, which meant they recruited Cust. I really want to see the lad make it but every time he gets a chance his game is error strewn, although he does throw in some exceptional skill as well. 

My thoughts on this game are pretty much the same as all Wigan games this year - I’ve still not really got any idea whether they are any good!

Wigan fans themselves set up the Catalans game as an acid test / payback for last year’s drubbing and they were pathetic against half a Catalans pack.

Who knows but I’ll stick with my current feeing that Wigan are weaker than the table currently suggests and Hull will get one over them tomorrow night.

2 hours ago, WN83 said:

The way Leuluai is playing this season it doesn’t look to be over for him yet, he’s been superb. 

Superb? Really?

He defends well for a half but superb? 0 tries, 1 assist, 1 clean break for a scrum half in five games.

29 minutes ago, FearTheVee said:

Superb? Really?

He defends well for a half but superb? 0 tries, 1 assist, 1 clean break for a scrum half in five games.

I was massively critical of Leuluai and his lack of numbers last year in terms of tries and assists and I think it was valid. But his performances this season have shown just why those stats can be misleading. Just because he isn't the one getting over the line or making the final pass doesn't mean he isn't creating tries or playing a key part in our attacking play.

11 minutes ago, EagleEyePie said:

I was massively critical of Leuluai and his lack of numbers last year in terms of tries and assists and I think it was valid. But his performances this season have shown just why those stats can be misleading. Just because he isn't the one getting over the line or making the final pass doesn't mean he isn't creating tries or playing a key part in our attacking play.

Ok I’ll watch a bit closer because I always see him as a part of the problem at Wigan recently.

IMO you need another half that can threaten the line.

10 minutes ago, EagleEyePie said:

X2

He just didn’t get going last year and it looked over for him when he picked up that bad injury. To say our fanbase had mixed reactions when he extended would be extremely kind but he’s played like he’s in his mid twenties again. His defence is better than superb but with the ball he’s been threatening, he’s challenged defences and he really has glued the team together. 

Stats don’t tell the whole story as everyone knows and it’s telling us nothing about Leuluai this year. Dodds has been superb for Saints and he has zero assists (but does have 4 trys), 

Tommy has been far better than I thought, but that’s down in part to the options around him. What is impressive about Peet’s re boot has been how he has made the collective so much more dangerous. Last week’s cup game was something of a watershed performance for me, in that it showed that what worked in defence last year can still work this year. We finished 4th with the worst attack in the league off the back of superb defensive discipline. Combine our 20 plus points attack with last year’s defence and we are a lot further on. 

1 minute ago, FearTheVee said:

Ok I’ll watch a bit closer because I always see him as a part of the problem at Wigan recently.

IMO you need another half that can threaten the line.

He does threaten the line, he just doesn’t get over much😂 In truth though that side of his game has been good. If you said he was part of the problem last year, you’d be right but who wasn’t? the sides going better this year, certainly with the ball and he’s played his part. He’s just so calm and that us helping everyone around him. In comparison Harry Smith is like a cat on a hot tin roof but had he played as many games as Leuluai he’d probably have 5 or 6 assists but a raft of errors, plenty of missed tackles and that would unsettle them who side. 

2 hours ago, WN83 said:

X2

He just didn’t get going last year and it looked over for him when he picked up that bad injury. To say our fanbase had mixed reactions when he extended would be extremely kind but he’s played like he’s in his mid twenties again. His defence is better than superb but with the ball he’s been threatening, he’s challenged defences and he really has glued the team together. 

Stats don’t tell the whole story as everyone knows and it’s telling us nothing about Leuluai this year. Dodds has been superb for Saints and he has zero assists (but does have 4 trys), 

Dodd also kicks way more, busts/breaks more (as evidenced by his tries - he’s a running threat which automatically makes everyone more dangerous). He also seems to make more tackles than Leuluai which I was surprised by (and is a very good defender).

Leuluai hits hard but honestly I see him as a net negative for Wigan. He’s been a wonderful player but I currently see him as a less dangerous Fages. 

13 hours ago, Scubby said:

French Field(s) should be a joy to watch this year!

Absolutely - if Wigan find a way of getting them both involved (assume French/Field/Cust at 1/6/7?) they'll have some serious threat.

French has also been very dangerous indeed from the wing previously, which I assume is where he will start on his return.

On 30/03/2022 at 09:52, Old Frightful said:

If I ignore the advice of locals then probably.

That reminds me of one of the first times I wandered across to Hull from Huddersfield.

Decided to follow a car whose driver was obviously an FC supporter.

Ended up in the middle of some estate (ableit turned out to be reasonably close to the ground) where the guy got out and went into the nearest house.

Think he'd just gone to his Mums for dinner...

It’s about JC - if he plays anything like he has been FC will prevail.

if he doesn’t then we might struggle getting through a staunch Wiggin defence!

Money can't buy you happiness!

It can buy you beer and that's a bit like happiness in a glass!

"I like pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals."

Sir Winston Churchill

Some folks are wise and some are otherwise!

Tobias Smollett

"I distrust camels, and anyone else who can go a week without a drink."

Joe E Lewis

"Look at the ffing state of that"!

My mate on the Avenue last Friday whilst pointing to a scantily clad young lady and spitting a mouthful of beer out!

The bookies strongly favour Wigan but I think that apart from the exploits of Jai Field Wigan haven't been all that much better than last year. Stopping him is easier said than done though.

Hull have won the past 2 games well, and without their hugely expensive half backs. Will be interesting to see how they get on with marquee player Gale back in the team. 

On 30/03/2022 at 08:36, WN83 said:

I can't see French playing at fullback yet.

I hope this isn't a case of wanting too much too soon from French, and that Peet's prepared to take him off if fatigue or rustiness is evident.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

On 30/03/2022 at 08:36, WN83 said:

I can't see French playing at fullback yet.

I hope this isn't a case of wanting too much too soon from French, and that Peet's prepared to take him off if fatigue or rustiness is evident.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

French starts on the bench.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

37 minutes ago, Davo5 said:

Strange selection having French on the bench,if he’s fully fit put him on the wing with Hardaker in the centre instead of Bateman.

Shaun Wane giving Matty P at tap on the shoulder getting Bateman in the centres in time for the World Cup.

Archived