Thur 31st Mar: SL: Wigan Warriors v Hull FC KO 20:00 (Sky)

Who will win?  

44 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• Wigan Warriors
    • Hull FC

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 31/03/22 at 19:30

27 minutes ago, Wiltshire Warrior Dragon said:

If you don't mind my asking, TMT, any ideas about the lottery numbers this weekend?

So close in calling that. Congrats to Wigan, commiserations to Hull. Sounded like a great game. A drop goal won it but it seemed both teams deserved a share of the spoils. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, jacksy said:

Its frustrating because we were on their line. He plays on we are coming off our 10m.

Yet the around the corner ball from Connor that went low looked like it hit Mau(?) legs. But was given has a knock on.

People complain about play acting and imo Powell got away with blatant acting.

He shouldn't be in the line says the ref. Penalty.

Yet on two occasions in 1st half Wigan stop in the line. Bateman does it when they scored.

C'est la vie.

You sound like a Leeds fan.

• Haha 1

I didn't think (or say) the ref had any bearing on the result tonight, despite Futtocks' outpourings. Hull could have won but Wigan had a bit more composure in the last 10 minutes. Hull will also reflect that, for all their good defence, Field scored two tries where he burst a tackle which really should have been made.

• Like 3

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

I think Jake Connor was unlucky at the end. His colleague must have been aware of the move as he ran to the perfect position, but seemed to forget the pass was arriving. 

I can see why he signalled about the drop goal as on some replays it looked under the posts to me 😊

I mentioned after the Catalans game that Field would be totally different on a dry ground so I was pleased he scored 2 excellent tries. Usually I am wrong if I predict things.🙂

Edited by Niels

A lot of players seem to miss tackles on Field. Funny that. I thought Wigan were very good, and like the way we play the game. We were also far more competitive up front than we have been for years, which is an excellent sign. 

Excellent match between 2 good teams. Both look likely to be worth watching and to have good seasons. Haven’t we had a few 19-18s with FC over the last few years (is it 2-1 to us)? Hope OF was proud and gets home safe and sound. 

Edited by Exiled Wiganer

Hull had a chance with that short kick-off late on, which was very close (only a few inches too high) to regaining possession for them. That could have got them upfield in a few tackles for a winning DG of their own.

There was that much and that little in it.

Plus Hull FC seem to have acquired an almost Rochdalian taste for Fijian talent, and that's always good for the spectacle. 

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

5 hours ago, Futtocks said:

I hope this isn't a case of wanting too much too soon from French, and that Peet's prepared to take him off if fatigue or rustiness is evident.

Just his squad number. Looking at him on the wing tonight, he’s not ready for minutes at fullback yet. A really bad injury and 10 months away from the game will take some time to fully come back from but he’ll get there.

As for the game, I felt the better side on the night lost but we’ll take it. Maybe it’s because I was freezing my nuts off but I’m surprised to read so many people saying what a good game it was. I’ll have to watch it again and get a feel for it. It felt a bit error riddled at the game and we lacked control from the halves. We’re going to need to find some sustained intensity from somewhere in time for Good Friday or it could get messy. It’s there in fits and starts but there are too many dips. 

Edited by WN83

2 minutes ago, Snowys Backside said:

Great game and well played both sides.

Shame there had to be a loser, but both sides more than capable of challenging St Helens on that form.

Will be interesting to see how Wigan go at Easter.

I definitely need watch it again. Our group came away from the game discussing how daunting Good Friday looks based on that. 

12 minutes ago, WN83 said:

I definitely need watch it again. Our group came away from the game discussing how daunting Good Friday looks based on that. 

I’d agree with that a good game but both teams were a bit sloppy at times. There’s no doubt both teams have got better performances in them. Hull with a pack to match anyone if they actually start believing it. Wigan once French has his confidence back with the most damaging back line in the league. 

I thought the better team lost.

Gale and Connor were both pretty poor. The Hull forwards and Lovadua went well.

A bit of clinicality in the last 10 was what Hull were missing to put the cherry on top.

Wigan were alright, but I thought they missed the guidance of Leuluai.

• Like 1

Arf one in the morning, only just got home, almost thawed out, disappointed but not disheartened.

Too many errors and poor decision making cost us.

• Like 3
                                                                     Hull FC....The Sons of God...
                                                                     (Well, we are about to be crucified on Good Friday)

6 hours ago, WN83 said:

Still think we are lacking up front,Singleton & Byrne as starting props wouldn’t worry top end championship packs although I thought Partington went well and Havard will get better with more games.

8 hours ago, Exiled Wiganer said:

Hope OF was proud and gets home safe and sound. 

Thanks fella, reasonably pleased but I felt we needed a lot more composure during the entire game but especially the first half. We must have failed to complete over a dozen sets during the game and you struggle to compete with those stats.

Hindsight is great but I would rather have stuck with the recently tried and tested Lovodua at half back as I thought it was an error chucking Gale back in after 5 weeks out. Having said that the Fijian lad looks to be a fantastic signing and is terrific wherever he plays and Gale has been there and done that so should really have been better.

One or two big calls perhaps didn't go our way but I thought we got away with that seemingly bizarre Leeds no try VR decision from Thaler the other week so I just hope over the season it evens out.

Jay Field is a very elusive and speedy player, take him out the Wigan team and we win that game, even with our errors. He wasn't too keen on tackling Chris Satae for his try but I doubt you'll find many who'd blame him for that.

One that got away and shouldn't have really but at least we're competing and if Gale gets back in the swing then hopefully more wins than not coming up.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, corvusxiii said:

No. It's a massive part of the game play. Or else why are they there if not to affect the game.

If the players and coaches don't try and cheat and just play within the laws of the game then the referee doesn't affect the game.

Instead of calling the officials you should be calling out the people who are forcing the officials to make decisions that people moan about.

• Like 2

Really enjoyable game - thought Gale was dire and Hull win the game with a better 7.

Field really is explosive and great to watch.

I’ve spent some time wondering how on earth Willie isa is still playing for Wigan and last night didn’t do much to change my mind.

9 minutes ago, FearTheVee said:

Gale was dire and Hull win the game with a better 7.

As I've already stated, I think it was an error starting him after five weeks out but then, I'm not the coach and I'm sure over the season Hodgson will make better selections than I ever could.

I thought it was a really good game to watch and both sides can take a lot of positives from it. We've been pretty strong at home this year so I can't see Hull being too disappointed coming away with just a one point loss. It was a bit of a 'you score, we score, sort of game but Wigan were probably just on top at the end when it mattered.

I was worried about the Hull pack before the game but I thought our forwards coped with them well and were the better of the two packs. The only problem was with the size and power of some of those Hull forwards it took a lot out of us to keep them at bay. It was Hull's backs that caused us the most trouble with some strong carries. Their backs supported their pack well whereas I think Wigan are still lacking something in that department. Bibby only really got involved having moved to the wing, and Hardaker and Marshall weren't quite as strong with their carries.

Singleton had his best game of the season so far and we looked stronger with him on the field. Also huge credit to Havard and Smithies who were probably our two best middles overall. Wigan haven't had a middle that makes over 100m on a regular basis since Havard in 2020, and our props often only make around 60m on average, so the numbers for this game were very encouraging:

Singleton 99m

Mago 91m

Smithies 89m

Partington 59m

Havard 114m

Byrne 58m

Mago is still a little frustrating. He looks absolutely out on his feet after a few carries. Even when he takes the ball in on a half hearted run he makes good ground and is difficult to bring down, but often he doesn't run with intent and defensively his movement is shocking. However, he's not really been caught out and he's our best in terms of purely making metres so I suppose it will do for now.

Huge credit also has to go to Farrell. Once again he probably won't get a lot of the plaudits because there were plenty of strong displays from Wigan, particularly Field catching the eye, but if we don't have Farrell we don't win that game. It's not just the sheer number of carries he makes, it's how effective they are, how much they lift the team when we're pinned in our own half. Also, it's how strong those carries are at the end of a game. He made 177m from 18 carries last night and carries 15-18 probably made more ground than carries 1-4. His fitness levels are unbelievable.

Smith and Cust had decent games too. I thought Smith kicked well given the strong pack of forwards we were facing and created the first try well. A few passes didn't stick but I thought some probably should have been taken, particularly Isa's in the first half. Kept his composure at the end even if the drop goal was sloppy. Cust perhaps struggled a little in the first half but second half he kept it simple. If there wasn't space out wide he just ran the ball as hard as he could.

I'd say the only negative is we don't really have much threat in the backs aside from Field and it's still a bit of a mystery what our best backline is. Hardaker is pretty much anonymous on the wing, not a big threat at centre but defends well there. Bibby isn't much of a threat either unless he's close to the line. There's no strike player at centre and only one real threat on the wing in Marshall. I don't think those players trouble teams enough.

Maybe French can start on the wing next week and give us a bit more to worry teams, though I'd worry if he was up against Tom Johnstone as French is clearly not quite up to speed yet and that's a big ask.

I was most impressed with Ligi Sao, Josh Griffin and Joe Lovodua for Hull. Griffin's work rate in attack is very impressive. Jake Connor had a disappointing game but still caused a threat at times. In general though he throwing some wild long passes and just seemed to be trying to force things at times. I also thought he could have done better to stop Field's second try.

Very good game to watch though, just a shame about the low crowd.

• Like 1

Something else I'd forgotten, was Connor Wynne really an unused substitute? It was mentioned by someone to me on text and I couldn't remember seeing him on the pitch at any time last night. If he wasn't used I hope there was a very good reason why as SL is a 17 man game these days and you can't afford to limit your rotations.

• Like 1

Good game and I am pleased with where Hull are performance wise at the moment.

Improve our discipline in the early periods of both halves and we probably win. Lots to like about how we defended at times and scored a couple of really nice tries. If we ever get Taylor and Evans rotating with Soa and Satae we will be a real handful up front. That said both Brown and Fash are very good in their own right.

Ref had a good game I thought and the game flowed well.

One thing I cant understand is not using Connor Wynne off the bench. Fatigue is a huge part of the game near the end and his energy in the centre pushing Griffin to the second row would have added a bit of extra punch. Odd.

• Like 1

One thing I took from last night’s game was how watchable the teams were, and how exciting the game was. I am really enjoying the style of play we are seeing across the competition this year. Maybe it’s just post COVID relief, or maybe it’s the 6 again rule bedding in, but the emphasis now seems to be far more on throwing it everywhere. Long may it last. 

• Like 3

Entertaining game in stark contrast to what these 2 served up last season. So that's a positive for both teams.

Hull scored some great tries but their defence for Wigan's second half scores was very poor. The attempt to tackle Field by Lovodua was feeble taking the shine off a little from his excellent play on attack.

Connor had a terrible game taking a host of wrong options and how he got away with the high boot into the Wigan players neck is a mystery. He might be in trouble at the disciplinary and I reckon Swift will be too.  Watching the replay back he really didn't need to collide with the referee he ran another few paces after grounding the ball.

Luke Gale was very poor there is no other way of putting it and had Sneyd been playing instead I reckon he would have shown the composure needed to get his team over the line.

Overall Hull were pretty good and looked likely winners at 12-18. Credit to Wigan for their tenacity and over the whole game I think they deserved it. People go on about Hull's forwards but I thought the Wigan pack were the better of the two sets. 

• Like 1