Match thread: Championship Rd 7. Featherstone Rovers v Sheffield. Sunday 3rd April 2022.

marklaspalmas

Agree with most of the comments made about the game. A significant contribution from Jacks scoring one try, creating two more almost by himself and having a hand in another. Kheirallah looked like the Kheirallah we used to see at Toulouse which was encouraging given how long it is since he's played.

We did look vulnerable on our goal line and it was also a bit disappointing how easy Sheffield found it to gain yardage in the second half, especially in that first 15 minutes. Still, they have been racking up the points lately and they're not a bad side at all this year.

Understandably Koppy didn't play big minutes but those first three carries up the hill when he came on were tremendous. In pre-season I thought he was carrying the ball like he'd shed a year rather than gained one and it was great to see him charging at his opponents.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There were some encouraging performances, with our overseas players showing a gradual week on week improvement and Morgan Smith getting better and better, but we seem to have a second row crisis.Bussey wasn't the answer and while Hardcastle was outstanding he's injured again. Hopefully Gaz Gale will be back for Barrow so Hellewell can move there, and if no Davies or Ferres it will have to be Moors because Bussey is best at 13 while Junior is just as good in either position.

First half was as good as I've seen us since the Leigh game. Jacks seems to be growing in confidence and his willingness to take on the line caused questions throughout. The 20 minutes after half time was woeful, aided by some equally baffling decisions from Mr Thaler. Apparently if you pass the ball to the opposition and they score, you get a scrum, who knew?

Lots of positives, Jacks' performance, Leilua's best game so far, Briscoe actually being passed to, Kopczak's return. Hopefully JSL is nearing a return as we're looking a little short in the second row.

21 minutes ago, Steve Slater said:

There were some encouraging performances, with our overseas players showing a gradual week on week improvement and Morgan Smith getting better and better, but we seem to have a second row crisis.Bussey wasn't the answer and while Hardcastle was outstanding he's injured again. Hopefully Gaz Gale will be back for Barrow so Hellewell can move there, and if no Davies or Ferres it will have to be Moors because Bussey is best at 13 while Junior is just as good in either position.

I'd move Moors back to the back row and play Bussey in the middle again. Junior has played well in both positions but as you say although Bussey did help create that Leilua try in France he's more effective playing more centrally.

8 minutes ago, Michael Bates said:

The 20 minutes after half time was woeful, aided by some equally baffling decisions from Mr Thaler. Apparently if you pass the ball to the opposition and they score, you get a scrum, who knew?

He ruled that Moors had reefed the ball out and it went forward before the Sheffield player batted it backwards and into Leilua's hands (if that's the incident you mean), FWIW I thought he probably got it right though it was a tight call.

16 minutes ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

He ruled that Moors had reefed the ball out and it went forward before the Sheffield player batted it backwards and into Leilua's hands (if that's the incident you mean), FWIW I thought he probably got it right though it was a tight call.

On watching that back, I came to the same conclusion.

And where he gave them the scrum when it didn't appear that Kheirallah played the ball, the linesman gave that... so I'm not sure I would blame Thaler.

Archived