Beaumont's Thoughts on Toronto and France

..when asked on the Rugby League Review podcast about the issue of Toronto Wolfpack – who left Super League in 2020 never to return – as well as the credibility of having two French teams in Super League – Beaumont didn’t hold back.

“I never saw any value in having a team in Toronto in rugby league or Super League,” Beaumont said.

“I will go as far as saying I don’t see the value in France either and I may upset some people here."

https://www.seriousaboutrl.com/derek-beaumont-doesnt-see-any-value-in-having-catalans-dragons-and-toulouse-olympique-in-super-league-51185/

• Replies 339
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Man in glass house throws stones...

*struggles to get a response that starts "Man on sun deck ..."*

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

I'm a firm believer in expansion and at the moment there is benefit to having Toulouse and Catalan in Super League.

However in the future, hopefully on the back of a successful French Word Cup the domestic French may be strong enough for Toulouse and Catalan too join that. I think that's potentially achievable and would show growth and be good for the game.

After that other European domestic leagues need to grow and we can look at have a European club cup. That at the moment is a long way off but should be a goal as it'll show further growth in the game.

IMHO he comes to completely the wrong conclusions, but he raises a very valid concern around France.

What is the reason for French involvement? Because every time someone suggests it is for the international team they get shot down and told that wasn't the reason. As he points out, there is no TV deal, no sponsorship, so from a commercial point of view he is right. As a hard-nosed business person why would you spend £3m a year on two French teams. 

At some stage, the glamour, the nice kits, needs to be monetised and deliver benefits for the game. 

IT's no good starting to nitpick at the likes of Salford or Wakey, which is where these always go, we know the value of 10-12 UK teams in SL - it is £25-£40m per annum. 

Is there any evidence of any money in French RL at a serious level?

But, the above is outlining the problems we face - what have we done to overcome any of them? Nothing. We just leave it all to the French teams individually to negotiate TV and commercial deals - why isn't that done by SLE and their partners? We don't just let Castleford sort out our deals in the UK.

We give the French teams zero coverage really - we never heard French voices on any promos - our website is not translated into French, we haven't embraced them in the slightest. 

My hope is that a true strategic partner wouldn't look at the challenges we face now, which are made worse by our actions, and would look at the opportunity and how we should be monetising it. I'd be stunned if their approach is just to say letting Catalans try and find a TV deal is the best option.

“You’ve got one sixth of central distribution going to France, there’s no TV deal or sponsorship.

“Betfred can’t show their logo out in France so our very own sponsor can’t be seen out there.

I suspect Beaumont thinks he's being more clever than he actually is here - or he's being completely disingenuous. 

The whole "they haven't brought us a TV deal or sponsorship deal" is a bad-faith argument. It's not the Catalans' or Toulouse's responsibility to negotiate a TV and sponsorship deal for SL, any more that it would be Leigh's responsibility to find a new mushy pea sponsor or Leeds' responsibility to get the pizzas in. 

SLE is a commercial entity, one that Beaumont sat around the boardroom table of last year, with the sole purpose of maximising the value of Super League - and that includes selling TV deals and sponsorships overseas. If we're only attracting sponsors that are banned from advertising in two of our twelve stadia, then maybe that's something SLE should have considered when courting sponsors? If we don't have a paying TV deal in France, then what was SLE (including Beaumont last year) doing about it? 

He talks commercial value, and is correct on that score in isolation. French sports teams generally get some money from the local council, is that the case with TO or Cats? If it is should they share it amongst SL clubs?

He is right about the long term, do we want a French or indeed European SL serving the growth of the game ?

I write this as a RL fan shouting for 4 French clubs in a 2 x 10 SL structure, that may well become 6 then 8 in a 2 x 12 structure, at which point we have the strong foundations for a European SL to run alongside ours, dropping ours to a 14/16 team comp. 

£3m is a lot to be taken out of RL income without a plan or a return.

6 minutes ago, sweaty craiq said:

£3m is a lot to be taken out of RL income without a plan or a return.

Regardless of any locational arguments or borderline xenophobia, there’s no plan or plan for a return for almost all the money within Rugby League, which is why the need for a strategic partner is so great. 

7 minutes ago, ShropshireBull said:

I think you are decades away from that. Think realistic aim is to make elite 1 the same level as the pyramid to RFL Champ with both getting a promotion spot to a 14 team SL. That way, we pretty much guarantee that france always has two clubs in SL and no money is wasted on travel for part time clubs. 

By realistic do you mean just as unrealistic and SC’s idea? 

He's free to say what he wants, how he wants etc and we are free to come to our own conclusions. I don't suppose he cares what any of us think. There is no doubt of his passion for Leigh, the time, energy, effort and money he has put into the club. It would be good to see Leigh in SuperLeague as long as they are there on merit and in a sustainable fashion.

I'm not sure, though, that belittling the efforts of the two French clubs, both of whom have fought much harder battles than Leigh have ever done, to get to where they are now, is the right way to go about things.

Still, if you put your head above the parapet, you should know what to expect.

6 minutes ago, Jughead said:

Regardless of any locational arguments or borderline xenophobia, there’s no plan or plan for a return for almost all the money within Rugby League, which is why the need for a strategic partner is so great. 

I mean, it's this.

Happy to have the conversation with Degsy about which areas we should invest in to guarantee a decent ROI for the game but, sadly, I think if we go that way, he'll find that Wigan is already covered in the top tier.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

His thoughts are sadly probably those of half the RL fans out - it’s a local sport for local people and blaming ‘them’ for everything.

They don’t bring a TV deal, they won’t let us show our sponsor logos, they bring no fans over here etc. We should only have English teams - so tough luck to the NW Crusaders too!

The best bit is that we offering up a wider world and giving fans the chance to travel to France when they should only be going to Newcastle or London for big games. 

Good job there isn’t a train station in Leigh or he’d be on platform 1 burning the passports of anyone heading to Manchester Airport. 

Some people seem to think he is loyal to Leigh. He has walked out on them in the past. And half did the same on another occasion. He is such a attention seeker. Wish he would get out of the sport.

Catalans hold the SL attendance record of 32k+

Catalans currently hold the SL league leaders shield

Catalans have the highest turnover of any SL club

Catalans have provided hundreds of thousands of visiting fans the opportunity to travel and watch their team in the South of France.

That is all

Archived