Beaumont's Thoughts on Toronto and France

9 hours ago, Dave T said:

Assuming Sky don't care (I agree), the point that has some merit is that if they were happy to pay the £25m for 12 English teams then the £3m per year routed to France could be routed to two more English SL teams. 

I know some people look upon English clubs with disdain, but the clubs are the best tools for promotion, development, attracting players and fans in the game. 

There is an argument that two more English teams would make the game stronger in England with that £3m investment in the UK and not France. 

It's a viewpoint with some merit. It's not one I go with, I think investing in France is worth it, but I can understand why some feel that the English game can't afford to spend £3m in another territory. 

Come on Dave , you're not playing the game here , actually reading and digesting what Dereck has actually said isn't on mate , it's DB from Leigh gobbing off again , no need to read it , just reply with the usual insults like most of the rest , that's how this MB works , reply to the poster , not the post 

• Replies 339
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, Davo5 said:

The fact that he thinks a fat middle aged man can carry off wearing a leopard print shell suit jacket ?

😂 Agree with you there 

But then again I buy most of my clothes from ALDI 😉

5 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

No, because he would have displayed some mega cognitive dissonance if he did.

So you're criticising him for what he did say , and what he didn't , so essentially no matter what he says or doesn't , you'll criticise him , I rest my case , grow up and start reading things no matter who says them before replying to them 

24 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

Yes Ray , they are playing RL with it 

A team of players at a club is not player development in the sense we are discussing here. To suggest that simply gathering a team together to play is the same as nurturing grass roots RL through age group academies etc, then you are being disingenuous. 

My blog: https://rugbyl.blogspot.co.nz/

It takes wisdom to know when a discussion has run its course.

It takes reasonableness to end that discussion. 

5 hours ago, Tommygilf said:

I really don't see how calling the competition European is that controversial to you?

He'll be outraged when he finds out that despite their geographical limitations the RFL calls the national team England (and previously Great Britain) and the ARL calls their's Australia. An argument straight out of the Stephen Jones handbook 

1 minute ago, RayCee said:

A team of players at a club is not player development in the sense we are discussing here. To suggest that simply gathering a team together to play is the same as nurturing grass roots RL through age group academies etc, then you are being disingenuous. 

In the UK the RFL decided who runs academies and who doesn't , not the clubs 

1 minute ago, GUBRATS said:

So you're criticising him for what he did say , and what he didn't , so essentially no matter what he says or doesn't , you'll criticise him , I rest my case , grow up and start reading things no matter who says them before replying to them 

No. I'm saying its very stupid for a chairman of Leigh Centurions to go round saying "what do they offer to the League" about any team and saying they shouldn't be there because he thinks they offer nothing.

Unless you think he actively doesn't want Leigh to be in Super League (which I'd argue is even more stupid than Mr Beaumont's argument), then it is clear Mr Beaumont doesn't apply this same view to his own club.

1 hour ago, ATLANTISMAN said:

Around 70% of TV LED sponsors (According to my wife) are global corporations of which the majority are attracted because of the addition of clubs in France.

She estimates it brings in around 2 million a year to SL clubs (Some more than others) with 4/5 clubs leading the way bottom for revenue would be Wakefield and Castleford as they have no LED systems in their stadiums. Added to this would be many companies attending finals and internationals VIP/tickets etc + 1/2 go on to be major sponsors shirts etc.

One example is Open Exchange which are a USA company who are the shirt sponsor of Wigan this season their CEO attended both Warriors matches recently in France i know as i sat next to him at the VIP at the Dragons and he told me that having the matches in France with French TV was important for them in addition to the UK market.

Paul

Yeah but apart from that they don’t offer anything & whats £2 million when we can have a M62 comp with mega sponsors coming onboard like Uncle Joe’e mint balls,Holland Pies & the Wetherby Whaler.

I signed up to this forum discuss and learn about the game of RL in the UK. I have learned so much in the time I have have been here from those more knowledgeable than myself. I appreciate that. For those who have added to my knowledge with insightful comments and replies, thanks. 

My blog: https://rugbyl.blogspot.co.nz/

It takes wisdom to know when a discussion has run its course.

It takes reasonableness to end that discussion. 

1 hour ago, GUBRATS said:

Come on Dave , you're not playing the game here , actually reading and digesting what Dereck has actually said isn't on mate , it's DB from Leigh gobbing off again , no need to read it , just reply with the usual insults like most of the rest , that's how this MB works , reply to the poster , not the post 

Similar to the Leigh fan who admitted to be backing DB because he was one of his own? A problem is that DB is a controversial and divisive figure and anything he says carries that baggage with it. 

3 minutes ago, glossop saint said:

Similar to the Leigh fan who admitted to be backing DB because he was one of his own? A problem is that DB is a controversial and divisive figure and anything he says carries that baggage with it. 

So you'd rather people involved at clubs would just trot out the same PC stuff like we see from coaches and players ? 

When I try to convince friends of mine to watch rugby league then I stand more chance when I mention about the presence of Catalan (and recently Toulouse) in the league. It tends to be met with a more open reaction than using Wakefield or Widnes to sell the sport.

Now I won't have convinced more than a few people to become much more than occasional watchers of the sport but that's a few more than I would likely have been able to do without either French or London (or Welsh) presence in the professional leagues. Whether that is right or wrong and probably says more about those people but I would be surprised if mine is the only experience like that.

4 minutes ago, glossop saint said:

I don't agree with Dereck , I think the French clubs do improve the pro leagues we have , but I do see that monetarily they don't bring in anything to the other clubs , and monetarily there are costs to them being in , those are essentially facts , as I've said I tend to read something and think about it no matter who posts it , too many just see a poster's name or a club association and reply accordingly 

I asked for any ' first hand '  experiences of WHL with regards coach parking , I got a couple of informative replies eventually , but had loads of childish ' digs ' first , happens all the time 

3 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

So you'd rather people involved at clubs would just trot out the same PC stuff like we see from coaches and players ? 

I'm not sure how you got that from my post at all?

I would rather that people had sensible discussion instead of the tribal debate that often seems to occur on here. 

1 minute ago, glossop saint said:

I would rather that people had sensible discussion instead of the tribal debate that often seems to occur on here. 

If people read things properly before replying ' tribally ' then we would 

I don't agree with Dereck , I think the French clubs do improve the pro leagues we have , but I do see that monetarily they don't bring in anything to the other clubs , and monetarily there are costs to them being in , those are essentially facts , as I've said I tend to read something and think about it no matter who posts it , too many just see a poster's name or a club association and reply accordingly 

I asked for any ' first hand '  experiences of WHL with regards coach parking , I got a couple of informative replies eventually , but had loads of childish ' digs ' first , happens all the time 

I agree with a lot of this. I was not previously having a go at you at all. I think I was agreeing with you that it can get too 'childish' and people reacting to the poster instead of the post. I probably didn't word it well!

7 minutes ago, glossop saint said:

When I try to convince friends of mine to watch rugby league then I stand more chance when I mention about the presence of Catalan (and recently Toulouse) in the league. It tends to be met with a more open reaction than using Wakefield or Widnes to sell the sport.

Now I won't have convinced more than a few people to become much more than occasional watchers of the sport but that's a few more than I would likely have been able to do without either French or London (or Welsh) presence in the professional leagues. Whether that is right or wrong and probably says more about those people but I would be surprised if mine is the only experience like that.

What was the reply when you mentioned a team in Toronto ? , Mine was generally " why ? , Don't be daft or how stupid is that " 

6 minutes ago, glossop saint said:

You said he was " controversial and divisive " 😉 , I know him personally , he's certainly interesting , but highly driven , confident and passionate ( to a fault IMO ) , he's human like everybody else , has his faults and I probably agree only half the time with him , I do wish we had a lot more like him in the sport 

You said he was " controversial and divisive " 😉 , I know him personally , he's certainly interesting , but highly driven , confident and passionate ( to a fault IMO ) , he's human like everybody else , has his faults and I probably agree only half the time with him , I do wish we had a lot more like him in the sport 

I think a read of this thread will show how controversial and divisive he is. I am not questioning his personality at all. In fact the description of him as highly driven, confident and passionate all suggest controversial and divisive as well. A bit like Eric Perez potentially?

I disagree with a lot of what he reportedly says and his views expressed in interviews but I do admire his passion for the sport and his town. It would be a stronger sport if more people in the country had that passion. 

5 minutes ago, glossop saint said:

I think a read of this thread will show how controversial and divisive he is. I am not questioning his personality at all. In fact the description of him as highly driven, confident and passionate all suggest controversial and divisive as well. A bit like Eric Perez potentially?

I disagree with a lot of what he reportedly says and his views expressed in interviews but I do admire his passion for the sport and his town. It would be a stronger sport if more people in the country had that passion. 

Oh and I forgot , he's got terrible fashion sense 😂

Archived