Beaumont's Thoughts on Toronto and France

• Replies 339
  • Created
  • Last Reply
50 minutes ago, The Future is League said:

Elstone wasted millions in his short time in Rugby League and not a penny for the game to show for it.

To think Leigh could offer more to Rugby League than a team in North America is just total madness

Complete BLX 

39 minutes ago, The Future is League said:

Delberts opinions are similar to Elstones = insular with no vision

Remind me again how much Elstone brought into BRL and  tell me the value of having a suburb of Wigan playing in Super league as they was last season

Dereck is the owner of a club , and wants what's best for that club , he was asked his opinion on French clubs in SL and Toronto , he pointed out several facts about both subjects , other than that you haven't a clue about him and his opinions on other parts of the game , I'll tell you something , given the job Elston had , he'd do a very good job , probably better than any other club owner we have 

Either way , keep on insulting if that's what you want , that tells me plenty about you 

4 hours ago, GUBRATS said:

Dereck is the owner of a club , and wants what's best for that club , he was asked his opinion on French clubs in SL and Toronto , he pointed out several facts about both subjects , other than that you haven't a clue about him and his opinions on other parts of the game , I'll tell you something , given the job Elston had , he'd do a very good job , probably better than any other club owner we have 

Either way , keep on insulting if that's what you want , that tells me plenty about you 

The first line sums this up.

He is not commenting on whats best for the game, he is commenting on what is best for Leigh.

So if you are a leigh fan (or a (current) lower level club fan) you will probably spout the same. Any true fan of the game that can see past their own clubs interests would disagree with his view and welcome the French developments with open arms

13 hours ago, fighting irish said:

Not wishing to go over old ground but Robert Elstone killed Toronto.

He broke the spirit of the owner and their management group, publicly undermining their position from the day he took office.

I also believe he was envious of Eric Perez and couldn't wait to be rid of him.

Someone with such a can-do attitude and huge vision for the game perpetually shone a spotlight on Robert Elstone's shortcomings,.

So whilst Elstone had power he/they (Perez/Toronto) had to go. 

12 hours ago, Kayakman said:

Very well put and thought out...that is exactly what happened.  The saddest part is that a great opportunity was missed....an opportunity to grow and expand.   Many folks went over the angles many times but now the Naysayers reap what they have sown....a slow, steady demise....just like Parky.   You can lead the horse to water but you can't make it drink.

Aside from the fact this is all complete speculation and impossible to be certain of unless one of you happen to be Robert Elstone, i'm pretty sure Eric Perez left his day to day duties at Toronto before Robert Elstone was appointed. 

40 minutes ago, yipyee said:

He is not commenting on whats best for the game, he is commenting on what is best for Leigh.

So if you are a leigh fan (or a (current) lower level club fan) you will probably spout the same. Any true fan of the game that can see past their own clubs interests would disagree with his view and welcome the French developments with open arms

And yet , I don't , I think the French involvement is good for the sport , when you use ' spout ' rather than ' say ' you give yourself away , your mind is/was already made up about him , what he says , the supporters of the club he owns , he stated FACTS , he questioned the worth , just as we should always do , can anybody put a value on their involvement ? No , just like you can't on any individual club , it's an opinion , and just because it's different to yours it wrong , in your eyes 

Feel free to continue your crusade against him ,his opinions ,the opinions of the fans of the club he owns , but nobody will be asking you for yours , and nobody will care , what's your contribution to the sport ? 

13 hours ago, GUBRATS said:

he'd do a very good job , probably better than any other club owner we have .

Indeed. His well-known smooth sophisticated well-argued and diplomatic and persuasive nature and his success in building a sustainable SuperLeague presence for his club put him at the top of the Rugby League Influencers ladder.

1 minute ago, JohnM said:

he'd do a very good job , probably better than any other club owner we have .

Indeed. His well-known smooth sophisticated well-argued and diplomatic and persuasive nature and his success in building a sustainable SuperLeague presence for his club put him at the top of the Rugby League Influencers ladder.

You come to this conclusion how exactly ? 

As somebody who knows him quite well I genuinely believe he could do a good job in Elstons role , it's an opinion based on knowing him , tell me , which other club owner do you believe would be best for the job , and not make sure their club didn't suffer as a consequence ? 

On 30/03/2022 at 12:11, Jughead said:

He’s actually said what a lot of chairmen are probably thinking, which sums up the state of the game. 

23 hours ago, fighting irish said:

Not wishing to go over old ground but Robert Elstone killed Toronto.

He broke the spirit of the owner and their management group, publicly undermining their position from the day he took office.

I also believe he was envious of Eric Perez and couldn't wait to be rid of him.

Someone with such a can-do attitude and huge vision for the game perpetually shone a spotlight on Robert Elstone's shortcomings,.

So whilst Elstone had power he/they (Perez/Toronto) had to go. 

These two posts are inextricably linked.

Robert Elstone was the mannequin who had his strings pulled by the silent puppet masters of SL who payed his wages, I don't believe for one moment that  he could make/take any decisions before firstly going through Leneghan, McManus & Co. He was hired as the scapegoat, anyone who believes differently has not been listening to these Chairmen the last few years.

9 hours ago, yipyee said:

And how many will put the game before their own club?

I would wager their are few thousand Leeds Rhino's fans at the moment that would prefer the goal posts shifted if they suffered relegation.

9 hours ago, LeytherRob said:

Aside from the fact this is all complete speculation and impossible to be certain of unless one of you happen to be Robert Elstone, i'm pretty sure Eric Perez left his day to day duties at Toronto before Robert Elstone was appointed. 

All of Robert Elstone's comments on Toronto are a matter of public record. No speculation.

The fact that Eric Perez moved on to Ottawa just increased Elstone's envious resentment of him.

26 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

These two posts are inextricably linked.

Robert Elstone was the mannequin who had his strings pulled by the silent puppet masters of SL who payed his wages, I don't believe for one moment that  he could make/take any decisions before firstly going through Leneghan, McManus & Co. He was hired as the scapegoat, anyone who believes differently has not been listening to these Chairmen the last few years.

I've no doubt that Elstone was overshadowed by those men but his hatred of Toronto was apparent/evident from the start of his tenure.

15 minutes ago, fighting irish said:

I've no doubt that Elstone was overshadowed by those men but his hatred of Toronto was apparent/evident from the start of his tenure.

C'mon Irish, just consider for one moment if the SL hierarchy didn't want Toronto to vanish do you think they would have allowed Elstone to issue such a verdict? 

As I said he was the scapegoat, a well paid scapegoat nonetheless but he had to do his master's bidding, Anyone who can't see that need to give their head a wobble.

41 minutes ago, Wigan Riversider said:

If Leigh achieve promotion this year and return to SL how long will it be before their owner withdraws his financial support?

He has previous when his club have been basement whipping boys.

His views on French SL clubs are laughably irrelevant.

Go on then you made the statement, give me dates he withdrew his financial support?

1 hour ago, Harry Stottle said:

C'mon Irish, just consider for one moment if the SL hierarchy didn't want Toronto to vanish do you think they would have allowed Elstone to issue such a verdict? 

As I said he was the scapegoat, a well paid scapegoat nonetheless but he had to do his master's bidding, Anyone who can't see that need to give their head a wobble.

Ha ha I'm not disagreeing with your first paragraph Harry.

I'm just saying that I believe Elstone persuaded them (the owners group) that they should be rid of them (Toronto) and that they may have been undecided as a group, (or at least unable to come to a unanimous agreement about them) before he took office.

You know as well as I do that unanimity is a very rare occurrence in the history of the SL owners group.

All of Elstone's comments on Toronto were negative from the first time he was asked about them, whereas there were at least some supporters (of Toronto) in the SL owners group. The ''verdict'' I suggest, came later on, when he had had plenty of time to persuade the dissenters and to undermine (poison) Argyle's enthusiasm for the task ahead. 

As a matter of interest, I routinely give my head a wobble every morning before breakfast, in readiness for the day ahead.

11 hours ago, LeytherRob said:

Correct...Ottawa was a GO and Elstone could not stand that...he could not stand the fact that someone else was actually doing his job for him and making progress....it made him appear the buffoon....and he began planning his cruel revenge....just like King Henry VIII....its a true tragedy for Rugby League.

Archived