Batley Home

HP Beans

Think this game will give an insight into who gets in the top 6

Touch Rugby W(h)inger and part-time Super Hero (Thursday mornings by appointment) :superman:

BATLEY BULLDOGS RLFC :bb:

18 minutes ago, Piggy's mate said:

Think this game will give an insight into who gets in the top 6

With you lads making the playoff semi last season,will be a good yardstick for how much we have improved.

Looking forward to it👍🏻

50 minutes ago, pennington said:

Yes like you have said it’s a hard game this, but I think with having Langtree back and Shaw it should be a win for us today. It’s important to start this month in the right way with 3 very hard away games upcoming.

Nice to have some fresh bodies coming in after last weeks game👍🏻

So Langtree broke down during warm ups & Shaw rushed back a week early & our indiscipline let us down here & the red & yellow don’t help, Sounds like Batley’s errr gamesmanship ruffled our feathers too much, Can we claw something back here & as I write this more indiscipline just cost us another try & now the game 😞

We picked a good week to play you I think, but a valiant effort to comeback at us in that manner being a man down

Touch Rugby W(h)inger and part-time Super Hero (Thursday mornings by appointment) :superman:

BATLEY BULLDOGS RLFC :bb:

Don't think there was any secret as to how Batley won today. Good, strong well organised pack, strong running three quarters and two creative half backs to link them together. No criticism here, just admiration.

Most of our lads tried hard and put in a shift but we are asking a lot for 12 men to take on a good team, someone needs to have a good look at themselves and then look at the lads he let down

Shipbuilider01.png

I think batley gave us a wake up call today . A big pack and well organised playmakers showed us the kind of team we are going to have to beat if we want to be top half of the league come the end of the season. 
For me we still gave away too many silly penalties and tried too hard to release the ball in tackles early in sets , which led to them getting back possession and gaining easy ground. When we were good , we looked very good and if we didn’t go 20-0 down then could have been a different story .

Just now, Travelling Barrovian said:

I think batley gave us a wake up call today . A big pack and well organised playmakers showed us the kind of team we are going to have to beat if we want to be top half of the league come the end of the season. 
For me we still gave away too many silly penalties and tried too hard to release the ball in tackles early in sets , which led to them getting back possession and gaining easy ground. When we were good , we looked very good and if we didn’t go 20-0 down then could have been a different story .

Absolutely spot on. Batley a very big, very powerful and very well organised side. They came out of the blocks like a train with loads of aggression and just steam rollered our game but considerably smaller pack. We ended up playing catch up rugby early doors and made a ton of mistakes which just compounded our problems. Massive respect to our boys who despite the adversity ( thanks Hakim)  managed to rise to the occasion 2nd half and give them a real game.there is no shortage if team spirit in this side but I think today showed we are at least a couple of big aggressive props short if we want to compete week in week out with teams the caliber of Batley. P S. Escare was absolutely a class above as you would expect and if there was any way his signing could be made possible.... count me in

1 hour ago, HP Beans said:

Yeah,the sending off spoilt the game for me to be honest.

In my opinion Batley played better rugby before the sending off...

What cost Barrow today was you very poor indiscipline, and will need to be addressed, as you have got a very good team.

I was very impressed by the new Barrow community set up. See you all later in the season.

After today’s performance god help us against Bradford/featherstone etc, not good enough, amateur side today, need some forwards that is what we are lacking, miloudis show was embarrassing what has he done this year? I’d seriously have a look at the team and get rid of a few of them and send them back to Sunday league

3 hours ago, BarraFan said:

After today’s performance god help us against Bradford/featherstone etc, not good enough, amateur side today, need some forwards that is what we are lacking, miloudis show was embarrassing what has he done this year? I’d seriously have a look at the team and get rid of a few of them and send them back to Sunday league

I think you are being unfair. This is massive step up to the Championsip and to dismiss players as  " Sunday League" is to do a lot of honest players a disservice.

A lot of people on here will know that I am a Cov Bears/ Midlands Hurricanes supporter too and I would love your " Sunday League" players to play for us.

But,  Barrow are now in the Championship.Now we must aspire to the likes of Batley, Bradford, Fev, Leigh and Widnes et al.

Patience is what is now needed. Build the foundation's and sustain the impetus.

We were never going to win promotion in year 1. But we can make a springboard for the future.

What Barrow do have is a great Coach, a great Chairman who is being supported by his board who are finding ways to generate funds,, a raft of volunteers who are bringing in much needed money AND a dedicated fan base. What is not to like?

Come on, we aren't going to win a place in Superleague this year... BUT we can in the near future cement our place in the list of likely candidate's to be a threat.

Ron Banks

Midlands Hurricanes and Barrow

10 hours ago, BirstallDog said:

In my opinion Batley played better rugby before the sending off...

What cost Barrow today was you very poor indiscipline, and will need to be addressed, as you have got a very good team.

I was very impressed by the new Barrow community set up. See you all later in the season.

Yes I agree,you blew us away in the first 25mins,and our discipline helped you along the way to the win.

I have no complaints about the result as Batley were the better side,however if Hakim stays on the field and looking at how the game panned out Raiders still could have sneaked it at the end😁

All if’s and buts though,we’ll done on your win.

We were outplayed especially in the 1st half by a very good Batley side who will be top 4 I think. We looked jaded from the off to be honest (hangover from last weeks efforts). I thought we did really well to get anywhere close during the 2nd half and shows that the fight is still there especially when down to 12 men.

Its the 1st time this season our forwards have been bossed by another side and their halfbacks ran the show for the most part on the back of this. Danny Langtree breaking down in the warm up didn't help either and Ryan Shaw didnt look over his injury either?

Playing our 2nd rows as props doesn't work ... same as playing them at centre..

Gledhill was brilliant for Batley yesterday and we could do with someone (or two) like him to replace Adam Walne. Forster is the only experienced prop we have at the moment.

One thing I thought was Sam Brookes had his best game for us yet yesterday and looked a handfull for Batley in that 2nd half !!

Onward and upwards and on to Odsall next week..COYR

Lee Morton

Raiders have risen from the ashes

I agree with all the above comments apart from the Sunday League players bit. If we said before the season started we would be as we are now with 9 points and had a good cup run we all would have taken it. However, from the off Batley were far superior yesterday. We looked flat and tired. Carrying a few knocks I think as some were not themselves.  We do need a couple of props which would enable Gillam to move outside a give us more options. 

A difficult few weeks ahead but the main thing is not to get relegated and finish in a comfortable position so we can build further next season. 

17 hours ago, BarraFan said:

Wasn’t great especially the majority of the 1st half but showed good spirit when down to 11 men and carried it on throughout the 2nd half. Few points there that are frankly nonsense and not worthy of further comment.

Safe to say a lot of supporters have gotten ahead of themselves after the strong start to the season. Quite simply Barrow aren’t ready yet to compete week in week out with the top teams in the Championship. The aim this year is to stay up and you’d like to think another 3 - 4 points will see them safe. Definitely need another quality prop to come in as when Forster is off the pitch we aren’t strong enough down the middle. 

I really like the fact that a least some of you guys respect batley and consider batley to be one of top championship sides, when all the pundits and analyst knock us, and never rate us no matter what we do, 1 game off the grand final last year and the pundits put us down for 9th this year too many teams rated on past glory in this division, top 6 is what we aim for and not beyond reach, good luck to you  for the rest of the season. 

19 hours ago, RLDB said:

Safe to say a lot of supporters have gotten ahead of themselves after the strong start to the season. Quite simply Barrow aren’t ready yet to compete week in week out with the top teams in the Championship. The aim this year is to stay up and you’d like to think another 3 - 4 points will see them safe. Definitely need another quality prop to come in as when Forster is off the pitch we aren’t strong enough down the middle. 

I think apart from Fev and leigh most games are winnable for any of the other teams. Look what we did against fev the other wk, and we were probably the better side on the day. Barrow should finish top 8 this season without any problems. I think its more satisfying when your team punches above their weight, than when you support a team who you know are going to win like fev who are expected to win with the squad they have assembled, but  it doesn't  guarantee promotion to SL.

12 minutes ago, Dog forever said:

I think its more satisfying when your team punches above their weight, than when you support a team who you know are going to win like fev who are expected to win with the squad they have assembled, but  it doesn't  guarantee promotion to SL.

I don't disagree with what you're saying at all, but as a Fev fan I'm finding it immensely satisfying that our 15,000 population town is still turning out a team that is consistently one of the best in the division and knocking on the door of SL.

25 minutes ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

I don't disagree with what you're saying at all, but as a Fev fan I'm finding it immensely satisfying that our 15,000 population town is still turning out a team that is consistently one of the best in the division and knocking on the door of SL.

I agree with you there TPH. If I want any club to have a shot at SL then it's fev. They do deserve it after all the hard work they have done on and off the pitch. Not the sentiments of all fev fans should I say. Some I was talking to at ours were saying they would rather stay in the Championship its a better league . Each to their own and all that.

Archived