Kiwis v Tonga - June 25th

https://www.newshub.co.nz/home/sport/2022/04/rugby-league-long-awaited-kiwis-clash-with-tonga-in-june-to-be-officially-announced-next-week.html

Looks like this match will be confirmed next week, to be the first professional RL game held in NZ since the pandemic began and played at Mt Smart with the Warriors returning a week later.

Can't imagine there being anything less than a full house in, couldn't think of a better game to re-engage the RL public in NZ following so long without matches.

• Like 18

It's always great seeing Tonga play, especially in NZ where there is a large Tongan diaspora. This should become an annual fixture!

Hope the other Pacific island sides organise some mid season tests as well.ย 

With the majority of the GB winning PNG side either retired or injured, my Kumuls will need to test their up and coming youngsters soon, if we are ever hoping to stand a chance against the likes of Tonga, the Cook Islands, and England (if we make it to the quarter finals) in the world cup.

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, Waghi Tumbe said:

It's always great seeing Tonga play, especially in NZ where there is a large Tongan diaspora. This should become an annual fixture!

Hope the other Pacific island sides organise some mid season tests as well.ย 

With the majority of the GB winning PNG side either retired or injured, my Kumuls will need to test their up and coming youngsters soon, if we are ever hoping to stand a chance against the likes of Tonga, the Cook Islands, and England (if we make it to the quarter finals) in the world cup.

I believe the intention was for the other Pacific Nations to be playing but I haven't heard anything recently regarding those fixtures.

I guess the other big factor for the Kumuls is who their coach will be with Marum stepping down after it looked like he would lead them into the world cup.

The backline will still be top tier especially hearing MacDonald is impressing over at Leigh at the moment, though I guess there is some question mark over which halves should be selected.ย 

I like some of the forwards that have come through the Hunters recently such as Waine, Yegip, Appo and Kapinias (glad he got picked up by Wynumm-Manly) and I'd back them to step up and fill the void of some of those who have left since the GB game. As you say though with so many new faces and a new coach they'll definitely need to get a few games in between now and the WC to gain some cohesiveness within the side.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, ShropshireBull said:

Think with oceanic cup in non world cup years thats the plan.ย 

Thatโ€™s been the plan for about 20 years, what will happen first. Cas/Wakey grounds or proper international rugby? ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚

• Like 6

1 hour ago, ShropshireBull said:

Well it was happening then this thing called covid showed up.ย 

Southern hemisphere now has an annual international comp.ย  Rfl strat is still 'beg southern hemisphere countries'.ย 

Letโ€™s see if a. It happens b. It happens more than once

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ShropshireBull said:

Its being played in the exact same window as in 2019ย  (SoO weekend so players dont travel to England). Its here to stay.ย ย 

For some reason our international weekend is a weekend no pacific team will be able to play and we have made no effort to grow a european version.ย 

It seems obvious to me that this arranged game is in preperation for the WC, two teams that should test each other to the highest degree and if the other Pacifica teams can get involved how good would that be for them all to be involved, with the best will in the world a European version does nothing for England's WCย  preperation, the All Stars if played with the right attitude is the better option, I say that has an England fan, and nothing at all to do with the expected political response I am expecting re the game in France.ย 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, ShropshireBull said:

Meant wheres are oceanic cup Harry? Point is this game bar covid would have been an annual event.ย 

Do you mean where is our Oceanic Cup type comp Salop? If so do you think that a European version helps Englands prep for the WC?

Bar Covid everything would be different today, England would have welcomed the Kangaroo's and been down under again, playing much better teams in prep for the WC.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Do you mean where is our Oceanic Cup type comp Salop? If so do you think that a European version helps Englands prep for the WC?

Bar Covid everything would be different today, England would have welcomed the Kangaroo's and been down under again, playing much better teams in prep for the WC.

Indeed, France offer some test but there would be little point playing any other European nation as preparation for a WC. To help other European countries (countries with domestic set ups, like Serbia and Greece) then great, but not this year.ย 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, ShropshireBull said:

No I dont because I'm on about us doing an annual tournament like the oceanic cupย in non world cup years like they are going to do in the south. So its a moot point.ย 

We have to grow game in the northern hemisphere and that is up to the rfl.ย 

If growing the game in the northern hemisphere depends on the RFL I daresay we'll be waiting a long time to see it happen.

3 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

It seems obvious to me that this arranged game is in preperation for the WC, two teams that should test each other to the highest degree and if the other Pacifica teams can get involved how good would that be for them all to be involved, with the best will in the world a European version does nothing for England's WCย  preperation, the All Stars if played with the right attitude is the better option, I say that has an England fan, and nothing at all to do with the expected political response I am expecting re the game in France.ย 

I'm going to the All stars game - I went last time and enjoyed it.

Will need good to see the players in action in an England shirt!

ย 

Be interesting to see if super league clubs release their Tongan (or Kiwi) players for the game. You'd hope Kristian Woolf should be OK with getting Konrad Hurrell a release, but it'll be interesting to see if Tui Lolohea and Manu Ma'u get a run. They're both very important players for Tonga so hopefully it's all good!

Are there any kiwis in super league who could realistically get a call up? Dean Whare, if fit, would be one option. Not sure about any others? Shaun Kenny Dowell perhaps? Aside from Joey Manu, the kiwis are a bit short in the centres.

Edited by ghost crayfish

7 hours ago, ghost crayfish said:

Be interesting to see if super league clubs release their Tongan (or Kiwi) players for the game. You'd hope Kristian Woolf should be OK with getting Konrad Hurrell a release, but it'll be interesting to see if Tui Lolohea and Manu Ma'u get a run. They're both very important players for Tonga so hopefully it's all good!

Are there any kiwis in super league who could realistically get a call up? Dean Whare, if fit, would be one option. Not sure about any others? Shaun Kenny Dowell perhaps? Aside from Joey Manu, the kiwis are a bit short in the centres.

Zane Tetevano is a Kiwi International and David Fusituโ€™a a Tongan International. I expect they will both select their squad solely from NRL players, just as England are likely to pick Super League only players for their game, logistically it just doesnโ€™t make sense flying players between England-Australia/New Zealand for a one off game. Perhaps with the exception of Lolohea as half back is a position they lack depth.ย 

1 minute ago, JM2010 said:

Are there any plans for the ANZAC test this year?

There was talk of one as a warm up to the WC last year but it will probably be scheduled in September to give it a good 2-3 weeks to sell tickets.

3 minutes ago, Scubby said:

There was talk of one as a warm up to the WC last year but it will probably be scheduled in September to give it a good 2-3 weeks to sell tickets.

It used to be a regular fixture on ANZAC day

2 minutes ago, JM2010 said:

It used to be a regular fixture on ANZAC day

There isn't even a week for the Kangaroos to play in the regular season anymore. The only reason NZ are playing Tonga is because of the State of Origin being on a weekend.

10 minutes ago, Scubby said:

There isn't even a week for the Kangaroos to play in the regular season anymore. The only reason NZ are playing Tonga is because of the State of Origin being on a weekend.

I wish Australia would see the value in international RL

• Like 2