Kiwis v Tonga - June 25th

21 hours ago, Scubby said:

There was talk of one as a warm up to the WC last year but it will probably be scheduled in September to give it a good 2-3 weeks to sell tickets.

Get real, it would never be scheduled during the NRL playoffs and those are always in September.

2 hours ago, Big Picture said:

Get real, it would never be scheduled during the NRL playoffs and those are always in September.

I meant the fixture won't be scheduled until September (i.e. 3 weeks before the actual game)

4 hours ago, Scubby said:

Great to hear. I wonder if Saints are happy to release Kristian Wolff to coach Tonga too?

They could give him a month off and theyโ€™d still win everything this year.ย 

It would be fantastic for the NZ - Tonga to be a financial success, as that would make NZRL more bullish about standing up the NRLโ€™s preference for no international rugby league at all.ย 

7 hours ago, graveyard johnny said:

anyone any idea of the possible team line ups/players involved?

Love a good hypothetical team as much as the next bloke:

NZ:

1. Joey Manu
2. Jordan Rapana/Ronaldo Mulitalo
3. Reimis Smith
4. Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad
5. Dallin Watene-Zelezniak/Ken Maumalo
6. Jahrome Hughes
7. Shaun Johnson
8. Jesse Bromwich
9. Brandon Smith
10. James Fisher-Harris
11. Kenny Bromwich
12. Isaiah Papali'i
13. Joe Tapine
14. Dylan Brown/Kodi Nikorima
15. Jared Waerea-Hargreaves
16. Nelson Asofa-Solomona
17. Corey Harawira-Naera

Few close options on the wings and the halves will be any 2 out of Hughes/Johnson/Brown.

Tonga:ย 

1. Tesi Niu
2. Daniel Tupou
3. Will Penisini
4. Will Hopoate/Siosifa Talakai
5. Sione Katoa
6. Kotoni Staggs/Ata Hingano
7. Tui Lolohea
8. Addin Fonua-Blake
9. Siliva Havili
10. Siosiua Taukeiaho
11. Keaon Koloamatangi
12. Haumole Olakau'atu
13. Jason Taumalolo
14. Ata Hingano/Taniela Otukolo
15. Taniela Paseka
16. Tevita Pangai Jnr
17. Sitili Tupouniua

Moeaki Fotuiaka would be in the side if he were to opt for Tonga over Origin. I'm unsure what they plan to do with the halves, could be either Hingano (pending release from Leigh) or Staggs as was the case in the win v Australia.
ย 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Exiled Wiganer said:

They could give him a month off and theyโ€™d still win everything this year.ย 

It would be fantastic for the NZ - Tonga to be a financial success, as that would make NZRL more bullish about standing up the NRLโ€™s preference for no international rugby league at all.ย 

Look mate there`s no point being delusional, there will be internationals in the future but they will be at the end of the year in a properly structured format where every game has meaning.

We will enjoy mid-season internationals this year only because Origin will go to a mid-week tournament next year and thus every weekend will have club football.

That`s tough, I know you and a lot of your brethren don`t like it but club/NRL football is where the money is over here otherwise we`d be like the soccer and the union with -loads of internationals and no decent regular season competition - end result we generate comp wide $1b per season, they generate about 10 % of that.ย 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, The Rocket said:

Look mate there`s no point being delusional, there will be internationals in the future but they will be at the end of the year in a properly structured format where every game has meaning.

We will enjoy mid-season internationals this year only because Origin will go to a mid-week tournament next year and thus every weekend will have club football.

That`s tough, I know you and a lot of your brethren don`t like it but club/NRL football is where the money is over here otherwise we`d be like the soccer and the union with -loads of internationals and no decent regular season competition - end result we generate comp wide $1b per season, they generate about 10 % of that.ย 

I am not sure what you mean by delusional. Maybe the word means something different over there. The NRLโ€™s preferred position is zero internationals. So as an internationalists that want the best for the game, we are reliant on players and governing bodies to fight tooth and nail to get any internationals at all. Given the NRL financial might, and their wish to cherry pick players from anywhere and everywhere, the game of rugby league has to fight against them. From NZRLโ€™s perspective, to consider that they need to know the games make money.ย 
ย 

Successful men internationals make the women and wheelchair games more likely to take place. For developing nations, the all too rare opportunity to grow the game by playing internationals is essential. If your vision of the world is NRL first, second and third with the NH game static at best, but in gradual decline because of too few internationals, cherry picked players and non menโ€™s rugby and developing nations starved of funds then the way we are going is going to allow that โ€œvisionโ€ to win. The game deserves better.ย 

Edited by Exiled Wiganer
  • Like 2

Just now, Exiled Wiganer said:

I am not sure what you mean by delusional. Maybe the word means something different over there. The NRLโ€™s preferred position is zero internationals. So if we are internationalists who want the best for the game, we are reliant on players and governing bodies to fight tooth and nail to get any internationals at all. Given their financial might, and their wish to cherry pick players from anywhere and everywhere the game of rugby league has to fight against them. From NZRLโ€™s perspective, they need to know the games make money.ย 
ย 

Successful men internationals make the women and wheelchair games more likely to take place. For developing nations, the all too rare opportunity to grow the game by playing internationals is essential. If your vision of the world is NRL first, second and third with the NH game static at best, but in gradual decline because of too few internationals, cherry picked players and non menโ€™s rugby and developing nations starved of funds then the way we are going is going to allow that โ€œvisionโ€ to win. The game deserves better.ย 

ย 

21 hours ago, UTK said:

Love a good hypothetical team as much as the next bloke:

NZ:

1. Joey Manu
2. Jordan Rapana/Ronaldo Mulitalo
3. Reimis Smith
4. Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad
5. Dallin Watene-Zelezniak/Ken Maumalo
6. Jahrome Hughes
7. Shaun Johnson
8. Jesse Bromwich
9. Brandon Smith
10. James Fisher-Harris
11. Kenny Bromwich
12. Isaiah Papali'i
13. Joe Tapine
14. Dylan Brown/Kodi Nikorima
15. Jared Waerea-Hargreaves
16. Nelson Asofa-Solomona
17. Corey Harawira-Naera

Few close options on the wings and the halves will be any 2 out of Hughes/Johnson/Brown.

1. Tesi Niu
2. Daniel Tupou
3. Will Penisini
4. Will Hopoate/Siosifa Talakai
5. Sione Katoa
6. Kotoni Staggs/Ata Hingano
7. Tui Lolohea
8. Addin Fonua-Blake
9. Siliva Havili
10. Siosiua Taukeiaho
11. Keaon Koloamatangi
12. Haumole Olakau'atu
13. Jason Taumalolo
14. Ata Hingano/Taniela Otukolo
15. Taniela Paseka
16. Tevita Pangai Jnr
17. Sitili Tupouniua

Moeaki Fotuiaka would be in the side if he were to opt for Tonga over Origin. I'm unsure what they plan to do with the halves, could be either Hingano (pending release from Leigh) or Staggs as was the case in the win v Australia.
ย 

Wouldnโ€™t be surprised to see Junior Amone in the 6, 7 or 14 jersey.ย 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, welshmagpie said:

Wouldnโ€™t be surprised to see Junior Amone in the 6, 7 or 14 jersey.ย 

That would certainly make a lot of sense and would strengthen the halves immensely, had seen a few conflicting reports over his eligibility so left him out but I'm guessing you've had it confirmed through your endeavours.ย 

Love your work mate, look forward to looking at some more player lists next month.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, UTK said:

That would certainly make a lot of sense and would strengthen the halves immensely, had seen a few conflicting reports over his eligibility so left him out but I'm guessing you've had it confirmed through your endeavours.ย 

Love your work mate, look forward to looking at some more player lists next month.

Massively appreciated mate. Thank you

• Like 2

On 07/04/2022 at 19:28, JM2010 said:

I'd like to see Samoa Vs Fiji on that weekend too

Why not 2 of Greece, Italy and Lebanon just like Tonga, Fiji and Samoa they are made up of Aussies? By that I mean no one needs to travel overseas.

Edited by Harry Stottle
  • Like 1

On 12/04/2022 at 08:12, Harry Stottle said:

Why not 2 of Greece, Italy and Lebanon just like Tonga, Fiji and Samoa they are made up of Aussies? By that I mean no one needs to travel overseas.

Outside of the old big 3 of England, Australia and New Zealand. Tonga and Samoa will be the sides that attract RLfans Harry, followed by Fiji and PNG.

On 10/04/2022 at 02:11, The Rocket said:

Soccer in Germany, Spain, Italy, UK etc. prove that both can be done...a strong league, valuable international tournaments, you could add (ice) hockey in all European countries....

good managers achieve two goals simultanueosly...mediocre managers only one

• 1 month later...

https://kiwisvstonga2022.com/

New Zealand Rugby League has confirmed the Kiwis will play Tonga at Mt Smart Stadium on June 25.

The Kiwis Ferns will also play against Tonga in the first fixture of a double header that sees a return to international footy in New Zealand for the first time in almost three years.

Edited by Elias Tyler

• 3 weeks later...

Both teams have now named their squads for this match - Tonga have named a 1-17 while Kiwis just have a squad.ย 

NZ:ย 

Nelson Asofa-Solomona (Storm),ย Jesse Bromwich (Storm),ย Kenneath Bromwich (Storm),ย Dylan Brown (Eels),ย Erin Clark (Titans),ย James, Fisher-Harris (Panthers),ย Kieran Foran (Sea Eagles),ย Peta Hiku (Cowboys),ย Jahrome Hughes (Storm),ย Moses Leota (Panthers),ย Isaac Liu (Titans),ย Joseph Manu (Roosters),ย Te Maire Martin (Broncos),ย Ken Maumalo (Wests Tigers),ย Ronaldo Mulitalo (Sharks),ย Griffin Neame (Cowboys),ย Briton Nikora (Sharks),ย Marata Niukore (Eels),ย Isaiah Papaliโ€™i (Eels),ย Jordan Rapana (Raiders),ย Jordan Riki (Broncos),ย Brandon Smith (Storm),ย Scott Sorensen (Panthers),ย Joseph Tapine (Raiders),ย Dallin Watene-Zelezniak (Warriors)

1. Tolotau Koula (Sea Eagles)
  2. ย Daniel Tupou (Roosters)
  3. Siosifa Talakai (Sharks)
  4. Mosese Suli (Dragons)
  5. Sione Katoa (Sharks)
  6. Kotoni Staggs (Broncos)
  7. Talatau Amone (Dragons)
  8. Siosiua Taukieaho (Roosters)
  9. Siliva Havili (Rabbitohs)
  10. Addin Fonua-Blake (Warriors)
  11. Sitiliย Tupouniua (Roosters)
  12. Keaon Koloamatangi (Rabbitohs)
  13. Jason Taumalolo (Cowboys)
  14. Soni Luke (Panthers)
  15. Haumole Olakauโ€™atu (Sea Eagles)
  16. Tevita Pangai jnr (Bulldogs)
  17. Tevita Tatola (Rabbitohs)
  18. Moeaki Fotuaika (Titans)
  19. Will Penisini (Eels)
  20. Isaiya Katoa (Panthers)
  21. Andrew Fifita (Sharks)
  22. Joe Ofahengaue (Wests Tigers)
  23. Starford Toโ€™a (Wests Tigers)
  24. Christian Tuipulotu (Sea Eagles)
  25. Eliesa Katoa (Warriors)

52 minutes ago, UTK said:

Both teams have now named their squads for this match - Tonga have named a 1-17 while Kiwis just have a squad.ย 

NZ:ย 

Nelson Asofa-Solomona (Storm),ย Jesse Bromwich (Storm),ย Kenneath Bromwich (Storm),ย Dylan Brown (Eels),ย Erin Clark (Titans),ย James, Fisher-Harris (Panthers),ย Kieran Foran (Sea Eagles),ย Peta Hiku (Cowboys),ย Jahrome Hughes (Storm),ย Moses Leota (Panthers),ย Isaac Liu (Titans),ย Joseph Manu (Roosters),ย Te Maire Martin (Broncos),ย Ken Maumalo (Wests Tigers),ย Ronaldo Mulitalo (Sharks),ย Griffin Neame (Cowboys),ย Briton Nikora (Sharks),ย Marata Niukore (Eels),ย Isaiah Papaliโ€™i (Eels),ย Jordan Rapana (Raiders),ย Jordan Riki (Broncos),ย Brandon Smith (Storm),ย Scott Sorensen (Panthers),ย Joseph Tapine (Raiders),ย Dallin Watene-Zelezniak (Warriors)

1. Tolotau Koula (Sea Eagles)
  2. ย Daniel Tupou (Roosters)
  3. Siosifa Talakai (Sharks)
  4. Mosese Suli (Dragons)
  5. Sione Katoa (Sharks)
  6. Kotoni Staggs (Broncos)
  7. Talatau Amone (Dragons)
  8. Siosiua Taukieaho (Roosters)
  9. Siliva Havili (Rabbitohs)
  10. Addin Fonua-Blake (Warriors)
  11. Sitiliย Tupouniua (Roosters)
  12. Keaon Koloamatangi (Rabbitohs)
  13. Jason Taumalolo (Cowboys)
  14. Soni Luke (Panthers)
  15. Haumole Olakauโ€™atu (Sea Eagles)
  16. Tevita Pangai jnr (Bulldogs)
  17. Tevita Tatola (Rabbitohs)
  18. Moeaki Fotuaika (Titans)
  19. Will Penisini (Eels)
  20. Isaiya Katoa (Panthers)
  21. Andrew Fifita (Sharks)
  22. Joe Ofahengaue (Wests Tigers)
  23. Starford Toโ€™a (Wests Tigers)
  24. Christian Tuipulotu (Sea Eagles)
  25. Eliesa Katoa (Warriors)

Bloody hell !!

13 minutes ago, Pulga said:

Compare either of these two teams to the English one just announced. I'm scared for England tbh.ย 

That's a fair comment but there's not likely to be a massive correlation between that side and the WC final 17. Add NRL players + the key SL players that are injured and we've got a different story.ย 

In saying that, the wider response to these side across social media has been very positive - everyone is starting to realise just how strong these teams are at the moment. Samoa will be the same once they name theirs.

ย 

53 minutes ago, Pulga said:

Compare either of these two teams to the English one just announced. I'm scared for England tbh.ย 

It'll be interesting to see how they go, Sky have picked up the NZ v Tonga game which is great news.ย 

I know the All Stars team is not popular over here, but I do think it's a recognition that the likes of Samoa and Tonga are gunning for us and will be tough competition, and they wanted to play against a team with players from nations like that. We did the same last year and lost to them, but it was noticeable how big a team they were and far more physical than anything that France or Wales could put out (as we saw when we then went on to play France, and the weak Wales squad we now see).ย 

That England v Samoa game at Newcastle should be an absolutely brilliant game to start the World Cup off.ย 

The middle forwards for both those teams are absolutely immense.ย  As are the edge forwards and the strike power in the centre/wing.

The only real weaknesses I can see is a genuine World Class full back for the Kiwis and perhaps the same for Tonga plus a game management half.

If they had these, I don't see a massive difference to the level of the Kangaroos.ย 

International League feels stronger and more competitive than I have ever seen it... we just don't get enough of it.

• Like 4

"Theย history of the world is the history of the triumphย of the heartlessย overย the mindless." โ€” Sirย Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic,ย what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?"ย โ€” Sam Harris