Good Friday Derby

Joe 90

1 hour ago, jroyales said:

With a decent ref 26 - 12 to the Yeds.

With their own ref 46 - 18 to the Hairnets.

I remember going over to Watersheddings for the derby 30 years ago. Hornets lost by about 30 plus to 2. I think we scored early on to go 2-0 up and that was it. We were dreadful. No effort or desire. We just weren’t at the races at all for the best part of 80 minutes. One of the most one sided derbies I can recall.

As my son and I were going off the ground I was having a moan about our lack of commitment. An Oldham fan must have heard me and he said - “ Did that ref come over on the coach with you ? “

I had to laugh, it was so funny.

• Haha 2

Wow! I mean like absolutely amazing! A sell out in a stadium that is 3/4 empty. I appreciate someone involved will have allowed this set of circumstances to happen.They will think it is sensible and be able to justify it.They will actually get paid for this moronic nonsense.

Keep up the good work.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Anita Bath said:

Stadium company is the football club now. Total control.

You could end up like us. In this event where would you play if it wasn't to be Spotland? Football unfortunately does rule, we just aren't big enough a game to compete with it. 

• Sad 1

18 minutes ago, moorside roughyed said:

Doesn't sound too good for us at the moment.

According to my sister, who got a ticket, we were in it until they got the guy sent off.....

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

Much improved overall performance but a number of unforced errors in possession (whilst attacking) didn’t help. Up until the Rochdale prop got sent off (head but) the game was finely balanced. Rochdale were  consistently attacking down the middle and whilst we weren’t dominating we were containing them. After the sending off they threw the ball around and looked the better for it & scored a few tries.

• Like 1

From what you say it’s not all doom and gloom. Sounds like we’re slowly but surely improving, which given the starting from scratch is encouraging. On paper and on form Rochdale we’re strong favourites, but it sounds as though we gave a good half and are learning. I don’t think the make up of the division helps- going from an effective walkover to a hard, competitive match week to week- for all teams but especially one who need to play to gel like us. 

Nowt worse than losing to the hairnets!

I know we’re a “team in transition” but we’re severely lacking in defence and must find some line speed.

I hope we can keep Astley and give him plenty of game time. Get Andrade and Arnold fit and we could enjoy this season yet!

• Like 1

First half was quite tight and a decent contest. Second half was very poor and the pack in particular were found out. Chase and Penkywicz were superb for Rochdale and completely controlled the second half.

Restall was outstanding again and has been superb all season. Spencer had his best game so far and was much improved from earlier on in the season. Whittel was really good at Loose playing 70 mins straight I think. 

I think the rest of the pack is a massive problem for us. Nelmes has been shocking since his return and the forwards off the bench today were really poor and were a big factor in our poor performance.  Littler made a big mistake not starting Astley after his superb performance last week as Hewitt again was poor .

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, m brooksy said:

First half was quite tight and a decent contest. Second half was very poor and the pack in particular were found out. Chase and Penkywicz were superb for Rochdale and completely controlled the second half.

Restall was outstanding again and has been superb all season. Spencer had his best game so far and was much improved from earlier on in the season. Whittel was really good at Loose playing 70 mins straight I think. 

I think the rest of the pack is a massive problem for us. Nelmes has been shocking since his return and the forwards off the bench today were really poor and were a big factor in our poor performance.  Littler made a big mistake not starting Astley after his superb performance last week as Hewitt again was poor .

47 minutes ago, m brooksy said:

47 minutes ago, m brooksy said:

thank god you have come on brooksy and said it how it is oldham are a very poor team end of.

nothing will change this season quite simple oldham cant compete and never will

• Like 1

I thought it was anybody’s game until the red card on the hour mark. I wouldn’t say Oldham were poor. Oldham managed to make openings for the tries were we didn’t manage to lay a hand on the scorers. That’s good attacking play in my opinion. The sending off fired our guys up and all of a sudden we started running straight. Once that happened our half backs became more influential and started moving the ball around. As in most games the team that made the least mistakes in possession won.
Plenty to play for yet, it’s very early days. See you all over in Oldham  for the return leg later on.

Good to see Chris Hamilton there and looking well. He was getting really excited when Oldham scored.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces
  • Like 6