France vs Wales 19th June Albi

Initial Squads for both sides.

France: 27-Man Squad

Vincent Albert (Carcassonne), Ilias Bergal, Mathieu Jussaume, Paul Marcon, Anthony Marion, Romain Navarrete, Eloi Pelissier, Maxime Puech, Justin Sangare, Gadwin Springer, Maxime Stefani (all Toulouse), Julian Bousquet, Alrix Da Coasta, Jordan Dezaria, Ben Garcia, Mickael Goudemand, Benjamin Jullien, Mathieu Laguerre, Corentin Le Cam, Arthur Mourgue, Arthur Romano, Cesar Rouge, Paul Seguier, Fouad Yaha (all Catalans Dragons), Morgan Escare (Salford), Baptiste Fabre (Albi) and Louis Jouffret (Halifax)

Notable omission here would be Fages due to injury. Kheirallah also isn't there which suggests he may have burned his bridges with French RL in general, not that he was likely to make the final WC 17 anyway.

Wales: 30-Man Squad -> * denotes uncapped

Caleb Aekins* (Leigh Centurions), Bailey Antrobus* (York City Knights), Gavin Bennion (Rochdale Hornets), Joe Burke (West Wales Raiders), Chester Butler (Huddersfield Giants), Michael Butt (Swinton Lions), Curtis Davies (Workington Town), Connor Davies (Workington Town), Rhys Evans (Bradford Bulls)
Ben Evans (Bradford Bulls), William Evans* (Whitehaven), Jude Ferreira* (London Broncos), Dan Fleming (Bradford Bulls), Matty Fozard (Widnes Vikings), Dalton Grant (London Broncos), Cobi Green* (Rochdale Hornets), Tom Hopkins* (Barrow Raiders), Kyle Huish* (Wigan Warriors), Lewis Hulme* (Widnes Vikings), Paddy Jones* (Swinton Lions), Elliot Kear (c) (Bradford Bulls), Kieran Lewis* (West Wales Raiders), Rhodri Lloyd (Swinton Lions), Lewis Pinder* (Wigan Warriors), Owen Restall* (Oldham Roughyeds), Luis Roberts* (Leigh Centurions), Anthony Walker (Bradford Bulls), David Weetman* (Workington Town), Calvin Wellington* (Oldham Roughyeds), Rhys Williams (Salford Red Devils).

Omissions: Grace cited as unavailable due to recent return from injury, Dudson just "unavailable". Dudson probably unsurprising as he hasn't repped Wales for some years now. 

For the World Cup if all fit France could be looking at

1. Morgue
  2. Marcon
  3. Laguerre
  4. Romano
  5. Yaha
  6. Gigot
  7. Fages
  8. Bousquet
  9. De Costa
  10. Goudemande
  11. Sangare
  12. Julien
  13. Garcia
  14. Pellisier
  15. Dezaria
  16. Springer
  17. Navarette

That's the strongest 17 I can remember for a long time. That would also see players like Jussaume, Le Cam, Stefani, Puech, Escare, Albert, Bergal etc. miss out which shows things are going in the right direction.

• Like 7

Kheirallah was eligible due to residency rule. For him to still have the right to wear the French jersey, he should reside in France for 210 days (7 months) in the year preceding the selection. This will not be the case at the end of the year.

I repeat it often, but the latest changes in the eligibility rules were not favorable to France but were intended to promote the emergence of heritage nations with the aim of artificially raising the international level to also increase TV rights in the pacific zone. France is therefore condemned to fight to try to beat nations like Lebanon, Greece, the USA, Italy etc.

Edited by fcl
  • Sad 1

www.fcl13.fr FCL XIII - Lezignan Corbieres Rugby League

39 minutes ago, fcl said:

Kheirallah was eligible due to residency rule. For him to still have the right to wear the French jersey, he should reside in France for 210 days (7 months) in the year preceding the selection. This will not be the case at the end of the year.

I repeat it often, but the latest changes in the eligibility rules were not favorable to France but were intended to promote the emergence of heritage nations with the aim of artificially raising the international level to also increase TV rights in the pacific zone. France is therefore condemned to fight to try to beat nations like Lebanon, Greece, the USA, Italy etc.

Ah ok I didn't realise that was the case, was just assuming once capped eligibility is confirmed from then onwards.

• Like 1

Its always really disappointing the attitude of some Welsh players who should have been mainstays of the Welsh team and should have been the ones looking to improve it. The likes of Flower over the years and Dudson should have been leading this Welsh team but they think they are too good for it. They can't complain about not playing the better nations when they don't want to do the hard yards to progress to that level. Full respect to the likes of Elliot Kear who hold their hands up time and again.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Scubby said:

For the World Cup if all fit France could be looking at

1. Morgue
  2. Marcon
  3. Laguerre
  4. Romano Langi
  5. Yaha
  6. Gigot
  7. Fages
  8. Bousquet
  9. De Costa
  10. Goudemande
  11. Sangare
  12. Julien
  13. Garcia
  14. Pellisier
  15. Dezaria
  16. Springer
  17. Navarette

That's the strongest 17 I can remember for a long time. That would also see players like Jussaume, Le Cam, Stefani, Puech, Escare, Albert, Bergal etc. miss out which shows things are going in the right direction.

Add Catalans' Langi to the centres there too as he qualifies for France in October

13 minutes ago, Scubby said:

Add Catalans' Langi to the centres there too as he qualifies for France in October

Wonder if any of the French posters have any further clarity over whether Joe Chan will opt in for the WC once he's eligible as well, would be handy to have another proper edge backrower to add to that side. Otherwise a Stefani/Seguier/Le Cam might be left to start on the edge.

43 minutes ago, UTK said:

Wonder if any of the French posters have any further clarity over whether Joe Chan will opt in for the WC once he's eligible as well, would be handy to have another proper edge backrower to add to that side. Otherwise a Stefani/Seguier/Le Cam might be left to start on the edge.

I think the fact that Chan isn't in this initial squad is quite telling - as is the fact he is off to the NRL next year.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, welshmagpie said:

Are they available online if I wanted to watch in the UK mate?

Bein Sport are presently covering NRL Cowboys - St George as they do every Friday. Tomorrow they cover Dragons- Hull FC here and in  the UK too. Would Sky pick it up - don't know

• Like 1

"It involves matters much greater than drafting the new rules...the original and existing games have their own powerful appeal to their players and public and have the sentiments which history inspires"  - Harold 'Jersey' Flegg 1933

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."  - Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

Si tu( Remi Casty) devais envoyer un fax au Président Guasch? " Un grand bravo pour ce que vous avez fait,et merci de m 'avoir embarqué dans cette aventure"

gallery_02-am31503_5b827265940b7_.jpg

I hope Sky pick up the international.

I really like the look of Le Cam and Seguier. Think I'd have one or both of them in the second-row, with Jullien coming off the bench. Sangaré and Dezaria as prop interchanges as well...

A bit ridiculous if that residency requirement is true for Kheirallah. It doesn't seem right that someone who has represented the country should be excluded on those grounds.

Strong looking French side. The should put a bit of a score on the Welsh. 

Snap it up, Sky Sports!

• Like 1

Can’t wait for this one. This time next week we’ll be on our way via Carcassonne and Toulouse. Handy looking French squad. Not particularly bothered about the scoreline, just hoping Wales put in a good performance. Just happy that I can go and watch an international fixture. 👍🏻

• Like 6

On 10/06/2022 at 13:59, StandOffHalf said:

I hope Sky pick up the international.

I really like the look of Le Cam and Seguier. Think I'd have one or both of them in the second-row, with Jullien coming off the bench. Sangaré and Dezaria as prop interchanges as well...

A bit ridiculous if that residency requirement is true for Kheirallah. It doesn't seem right that someone who has represented the country should be excluded on those grounds.

Strong looking French side. The should put a bit of a score on the Welsh. 

Snap it up, Sky Sports!

Looks like that’s not happening - they are showing the wheelchair international at 3pm on Sunday.

• Sad 1

31 minutes ago, Pen-Y-Bont Crusader said:

Looks like that’s not happening - they are showing the wheelchair international at 3pm on Sunday.

The Sportsman might pick it up?

He says, hopefully.

• Like 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

1 hour ago, Pen-Y-Bont Crusader said:

Nothing against the wheelchair international, but it doesn't appeal quite as much as France vs Wales. Pity they clash, although I suspect Sky wouldn't have aired the Albi game anyway.

Understandable I suppose that Sky want to highlight all three England games...

13 hours ago, Pen-Y-Bont Crusader said:

Bein sports if you can access it. 

Live on Twitch? How's anyone's French?

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)