James Maloney caught doping

3 hours ago, Eddie said:

They’re doing a job, if people want to see them as role models that’s fine but they aren’t contracted to set a good example in their life, just to play rugby league. If they’re using a non-performance enhancing recreational drug (weed for example) then why ban them any more than doing so for having a few pints? If they’re doing something illegal then the law can deal with it. 

That's not how it is. You only need look at club web sites to see how lauded are the players. In any case, their contracts are bound to include disrepute clauses, good behaviour clauses for example.  As for weed, well yes, it might make some people think they are rebelling, it might make some people think they are cleverer than the rest of us but that ain't so.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4104335/

So. Zero tolerance of players  transgressions.

3 minutes ago, JohnM said:

That's not how it is. You only need look at club web sites to see how lauded are the players. In any case, their contracts are bound to include disrepute clauses, good behaviour clauses for example.  As for weed, well yes, it might make some people think they are rebelling, it might make some people think they are cleverer than the rest of us but that ain't so.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4104335/

So. Zero tolerance of players  transgressions.

I’m not saying I’m in favour of players having a smoke now and again, I’m just saying that they’re normal people who shouldn’t be expected to behave any differently to normal people. These aren’t multi millionaires we’re talking about. 

3 hours ago, bigbaldnmad said:

But do you like a pint?

I agree about drugs BTW, it just everyone has a different perspective.

I can out a drink 20 plus pints or drink pop and still enjoy myself, in the last 3 years I've been out 3 times to have a beer, I dont drink at home.either.

Carlsberg don't do Soldiers, but if they did, they would probably be Brits.

http://www.pitchero....hornemarauders/

20 hours ago, Eddie said:

I’m not saying I’m in favour of players having a smoke now and again, I’m just saying that they’re normal people who shouldn’t be expected to behave any differently to normal people. These aren’t multi millionaires we’re talking about. 

My expectation is that normal people shouldn’t take cocaine either.

They should throw the book at Maloney.

On 11/04/2022 at 15:15, Eddie said:

Normal people don't take illegal drugs , ' druggies ' take illegal drugs , Maloney is a ' druggie ' and a dope 

2 hours ago, GUBRATS said:

Normal people don't take illegal drugs , ' druggies ' take illegal drugs , Maloney is a ' druggie ' and a dope 

It may surprise you to know how many younger people use illegal drugs these days tbf, it’s rife in all sections of society and with many of them you’d never have a clue when they’re going about their everyday normal life. 

2 hours ago, Eddie said:

It may surprise you to know how many younger people use illegal drugs these days tbf, it’s rife in all sections of society and with many of them you’d never have a clue when they’re going about their everyday normal life. 

Yes I know , I've seen the results 

They buy some white powder , fully aware that it could contain any number of ' fillers ' , hoping that it does in a safe level or it most likely will kill them , or at best damage their heart severely shortening their life , of course they're ' normal ' 

1 hour ago, GUBRATS said:

Yes I know , I've seen the results 

They buy some white powder , fully aware that it could contain any number of ' fillers ' , hoping that it does in a safe level or it most likely will kill them , or at best damage their heart severely shortening their life , of course they're ' normal ' 

I agree with you, but where do you draw the line. I’d consider cigarette smokers to be normal but much of the above applies to them, as it does to some extent drinkers. 

10 minutes ago, Eddie said:

I agree with you, but where do you draw the line. I’d consider cigarette smokers to be normal but much of the above applies to them, as it does to some extent drinkers. 

Of course cocaine and the other various temptations are carefully controlled to pass standards so as not to damage people's health 

Smokers ? , Normal ? , No stupid 

Yes I drink alcohol , is it a poison ? , Yes , can it kill you ? , Yes , but it is legal , and I've never heard of anybody dying after a single drink 

As I asked earlier , does he have kids ? , Difficult one to explain why Dad can't play rugby 

Maybe the general discussion about the issue of drugs, alcohol, smoking etc belongs on a sub forum.

Whatever, rugby league players are in the public eye: locally, nationally, internationally, globally depending on their position in the game. Youngsters in particularly look up to them, imitate them, even wear their replica shirts complete with names and numbers. 

These players must not only stick to the law, but do what is morally right considering their positions. They must be SEEN to be doing right, too. 

If we want our code to be respected,we must earn that respect, so the media can celebrate our code. Being clean, law abiding, setting a good example and by coming down hard on miscreants is one way of distinguishing us from other fields of endeavour. 

It's old research now. Other more up to date studies are available. But Baldwin's research, university of Essex 1994, suggests that almost 80% of kids will have tried an illegal drug of some form by the end of Y13. That's 28 years ago. I would hypothesise that availability and access to illegal drugs are much easier now and that attitudinal approach to drugs is much more liberal now than ever.

I've never used drugs. I have a bacon addiction.... its hard....

5 hours ago, Robin Evans said:

It's old research now. Other more up to date studies are available. But Baldwin's research, university of Essex 1994, suggests that almost 80% of kids will have tried an illegal drug of some form by the end of Y13. That's 28 years ago. I would hypothesise that availability and access to illegal drugs are much easier now and that attitudinal approach to drugs is much more liberal now than ever.

I have a bacon addiction.... its hard....

Try turning the gas down and reduce the frying  time .

Brad Takairangi was given a suspended jail sentence for crashing into a police car as he drove the wrong way on a dual carriageway while drunk. That’s far worse than what Maloney has done, he was lucky not to kill or badly hurt someone, yet Takairangi is free to continue playing. I’m not saying what Maloney has done isn’t wrong, but a 1 or 2 year ban is completely disproportionate imo.

7 hours ago, Robin Evans said:

He's 35/6 years old , and even though he's an Aussie , he's not that stupid 

35 minutes ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

Brad Takairangi was given a suspended jail sentence for crashing into a police car as he drove the wrong way on a dual carriageway while drunk. That’s far worse than what Maloney has done, he was lucky not to kill or badly hurt someone, yet Takairangi is free to continue playing. I’m not saying what Maloney has done isn’t wrong, but a 1 or 2 year ban is completely disproportionate imo.

Neither of those decisions is really in the hands of the RFL. The courts will decide on appropriate punishment for drink driving. UKAD and WADA decide what the appropriate punishment is for in-season use of an illegal performance enhancing drug is and the RFL follows their guidelines. If we don't, the RFL may lose government funding, not to mention the adverse publicity. The CPS decide whether or not to bring an additional charges for possession of class A drugs - again nothing to do with the RFL.

Anybody who thinks using cocaine is a victimless crime seriously needs their head examining. Cocaine users are directly responsible for the civil wars in Colombia, Mexico, Peru and elsewhere, involving many tens of thousands of deaths, millions of lives damaged. That's before you start on the people trafficking, slavery, exploitation of children, gang deaths etc.

4 minutes ago, JonM said:

Neither of those decisions is really in the hands of the RFL. The courts will decide on appropriate punishment for drink driving. UKAD and WADA decide what the appropriate punishment is for in-season use of an illegal performance enhancing drug is and the RFL follows their guidelines. If we don't, the RFL may lose government funding, not to mention the adverse publicity. The CPS decide whether or not to bring an additional charges for possession of class A drugs - again nothing to do with the RFL.

Anybody who thinks using cocaine is a victimless crime seriously needs their head examining. Cocaine users are directly responsible for the civil wars in Colombia, Mexico, Peru and elsewhere, involving many tens of thousands of deaths, millions of lives damaged. That's before you start on the people trafficking, slavery, exploitation of children, gang deaths etc.

Or, in this specific case, the French equivalent of the organisations I've emboldened above.

2 minutes ago, Barley Mow said:

Or, in this specific case, the French equivalent of the organisations I've emboldened above.

Yep. And, of course, there's still the B sample to be tested.

Archived