Challenge Cup Final 2022 - train issues

1 minute ago, Death to the Rah Rah's said:

looks like there will be very few trains to take northern based supporters home on Sunday 29 May.

just tried to book a return from Carlisle and can’t get a return train until Monday

If you can get a train to Leigh, Gubrats is organising a coach to the final?

of #### didn't think that through

• Haha 8

29 minutes ago, Death to the Rah Rah's said:

looks like there will be very few trains to take northern based supporters home on Sunday 29 May.

just tried to book a return from Carlisle and can’t get a return train until Monday

Have you tried looking at Kings Cross - Newcastle - Carlisle?

100% League 0% Union

Just because I don't know doesn't mean I don't understand

29 minutes ago, Scubby said:

If you can get a train to Leigh, Gubrats is organising a coach to the final?

of #### didn't think that through

I am a Leigh resident. I’m getting the train, albeit the issues have meant our planned two nights have instead become a (long) all dayer. It’s almost as if it’s possible to do these things without actually living next door to a main line station. Who knew?!

48 minutes ago, Cumbrian Fanatic said:

Have you tried looking at Kings Cross - Newcastle - Carlisle?

I’ve just contacted national rail and they’ve said some routes will be announced once they know their maintenance schedule so hopefully trains will be announced shortly.

that’s the downside to playing the final in London on a bank holiday weekend I suppose 

1 hour ago, Death to the Rah Rah's said:

I’ve just contacted national rail and they’ve said some routes will be announced once they know their maintenance schedule so hopefully trains will be announced shortly.

that’s the downside to playing the final in London on a bank holiday weekend I suppose 

The irony being that it isn’t even a Bank Holiday weekend this year.

38 minutes ago, neil m said:

Ive had to book from west Cumbria via Newcastle both ways . Going Friday and coming back Sunday . Gone to pot since Avanti took over . 

Blame the Department for Transport as they’ve effectively been running the show on all fronts ever since Covid first broke out. 

Update: can’t get return train tickets further north than Birmingham on the Sunday after the challenge cup final, so had to get return flights from Newcastle to Heathrow instead.

shame, as it’s bound to affect the attendance for what should be a great day at Spurs new stadium

The rail transport in the UK really is a disgrace (and very expensive) - it’s actually not much more to fly !

Edited by Death to the Rah Rah's

1 hour ago, Death to the Rah Rah's said:

Update: can’t get return train tickets further north than Birmingham on the Sunday after the challenge cup final, so had to get return flights from Newcastle to Heathrow instead.

shame, as it’s bound to affect the attendance for what should be a great day at Spurs new stadium

The rail transport in the UK really is a disgrace (and very expensive) - it’s actually not much more to fly !

If you're going to Newcastle why not just continue on the train from there, it's under a 3 hour journey? Traipsing out to Newcastle airport and then into London from Heathrow seems a bit of a long-winded way of doing it. As far as I can see the East Coast Main Line is operating as normal, it's the West Coast line which has the issues.

Some of the Leythers we were chatting to on Friday are looking at flying down ,cheaper than the train , but a bit longer with checking in , security and then getting to and from Leyth to Manchester Airport , and then Gatwick to WHL 

Spoke to the RFL last week , parking now is available for booking ( they said it had been for 3 weeks , but that's not what WHL said , somebody telling ' porkies ' ) , they are using a goods yard on White Hart Lane , so all depends on if we can beat Sheffield 

On 10/04/2022 at 14:23, Death to the Rah Rah's said:

Who needs a f****king train station , not much point if there's no trains 👍

• Haha 6

On 10/04/2022 at 15:44, Death to the Rah Rah's said:

It’s not bank holiday, the bank holiday is the following weekend. 

9 minutes ago, Death to the Rah Rah's said:

There for the weekend mate, as are a lot of supporters who go for the occasion regardless of whose playing.

Yep definitely, I’ll be there whether or not Saints make it, and it’ll be my 7 year old lad’s first rugby league match. 

14 hours ago, Jughead said:

Carlisle to Glasgow, Glasgow to Stansted on a plane, Stansted Express into London either on the Friday or Saturday depending on where you want to stay and then do all of that in reverse on the Sunday. 

Flew the Glasgow - London route many times and the best option if times suite is the Glasgow to London City airport route, straight off the plane and on to the Docklands light rail, in a pub in Kings Cross not much more that 30 minutes after landing

• Like 2

100% League 0% Union

Just because I don't know doesn't mean I don't understand

• 2 weeks later...

Email from Avanti this morning as had set up a ticket alert - timetables now confirmed and trains now available to book for the Saturday and Sunday. Our public transport is so bad, operators struggle to offer tickets just over 2 weeks in advance (13th/14th May only just confirmed today as well) 

Hotel prices in London seem to have increased significantly- £200 for a Travelodge 

12 hours ago, shaun mc said:

Email from Avanti this morning as had set up a ticket alert - timetables now confirmed and trains now available to book for the Saturday and Sunday. Our public transport is so bad, operators struggle to offer tickets just over 2 weeks in advance (13th/14th May only just confirmed today as well) 

Hotel prices in London seem to have increased significantly- £200 for a Travelodge 

They aren't offering Advance tickets for the Sunday services (or at least they weren't earlier this morning) so I still wouldn't take it as guaranteed.

49 minutes ago, Leyther_Matt said:

They aren't offering Advance tickets for the Sunday services (or at least they weren't earlier this morning) so I still wouldn't take it as guaranteed.

By Advance tickets do you mean cheaper than Standard?

I've been on Avanti 3 times since they sent the email yesterday and each time I was able to book a standard return ticket - out Sat return Sun. I wasn't able to prior to Weds morning

My mate booked a standard return from Preston sat/Sun last night without issues 

1 hour ago, shaun mc said:

By Advance tickets do you mean cheaper than Standard?

I've been on Avanti 3 times since they sent the email yesterday and each time I was able to book a standard return ticket - out Sat return Sun. I wasn't able to prior to Weds morning

My mate booked a standard return from Preston sat/Sun last night without issues 

An advance ticket is specifically for that particular service whereas standard returns cover all manner of services which makes it easier for companies not to run said service and effectively argue that you hadn't booked for that specific train (even if you had a seat reservation). Again, it's just from my experience but I've seen it happen dozens of times over the years when travelling by rail for football games.