Ian Watson turning things round at Huddersfield

Hes done a great job so far at the clubs hes coached. Talked to an ex team mate of his and he said he`s always been an RL nut, was always asking questions of the coaches as to why they did certain things in training, tactics etc. He knew he would go on to be a good coach.

33 minutes ago, dkw said:

Hes done a great job so far at the clubs hes coached. Talked to an ex team mate of his and he said he`s always been an RL nut, was always asking questions of the coaches as to why they did certain things in training, tactics etc. He knew he would go on to be a good coach.

He said he doesn't really switch off from the game, he's a real studier of the game, as I said previously, as well as his first team coaching duties, he attended every other game the Giants teams played this week, and he paid in to all of them!

It's not just about getting results week by week for the first team, it's a whole culture and life thing for him.

He's always got time to talk to people too and is a really humble bloke.

Yes, things are starting to look rather good for the Giants. It will be great if he can get Greenwood back to the level he was at when he left Saints for the Gold Coast - I thought he was going to be one of the best. No idea what went wrong for him latterly in Aus, but, like Bateman and others, seemed to come back half the player he was.

Who were the players emptied other that Sezer and Edwards? To be fair, Edwards looks like he's making a decent effort at Cas.

18 minutes ago, Human Punk said:

Yes, things are starting to look rather good for the Giants. It will be great if he can get Greenwood back to the level he was at when he left Saints for the Gold Coast - I thought he was going to be one of the best. No idea what went wrong for him latterly in Aus, but, like Bateman and others, seemed to come back half the player he was.

Greenwood always flattered to deceive. Big lad who looked a world beater coming through the junior ranks but never continued that development at 1st team level. He rarely runs his weight and caught too many times grabbing at players in defence instead of putting his shoulder in. I thought his stint in the NRL might have improved that but it just never got any better.

St.Helens - The Home of record breaking Rugby Champions

On 12/04/2022 at 13:47, The Daddy said:

Done a fantastic job at Salford now you can clearly see his positive impact at Huddersfield. They look a much more resilient outfit. 

It's no accident, this bloke is doing something right. 

Can we expect to see a top club come in for him, maybe Leeds? 

It’s the salary cap at work, after years of real term reductions there are now more clubs than ever spending the full salary cap. Watson is doing a great job btw, he still needs to win the games, the salary cap has just made it possible.

13 hours ago, ATLANTISMAN said:

Great to see Huddersfield doing so well i have always had a soft spot for them after watching Fulham play at Fartown many moons ago.

Just need to get those locals along in greater numbers:)

Paul

Me too, ever since we went to watch an international between Fiji and Australia there (mid 90's?). Game was rubbish as the ref was terrible, gave Australia everything. So we left at half time and ended up in a local pub nearby, a proper local pub where everything stopped as we walked in....then got a few rounds bought for us by the locals, good people..

Scary, but good...

1 hour ago, dkw said:

Me too, ever since we went to watch an international between Fiji and Australia there (mid 90's?). Game was rubbish as the ref was terrible, gave Australia everything. So we left at half time and ended up in a local pub nearby, a proper local pub where everything stopped as we walked in....then got a few rounds bought for us by the locals, good people..

Scary, but good...

A John Wesley quote from 1757 -

"I rode over the mountains to Huddersfield. A wilder people I never saw in England.

"The men, women and children filled the streets and seemed just ready to devour us."

Nowt much changed there then...

Makes me proud to be Huddersfield born and bred. 🙂

20 hours ago, Saint Toppy said:

Greenwood always flattered to deceive. Big lad who looked a world beater coming through the junior ranks but never continued that development at 1st team level. He rarely runs his weight and caught too many times grabbing at players in defence instead of putting his shoulder in. I thought his stint in the NRL might have improved that but it just never got any better.

FWIW, Greenwood has been really good this season - while Hill has been taking the plaudits, Greenwood has been coming on and keeping the momentum going. 

22 hours ago, Human Punk said:

Who were the players emptied other that Sezer and Edwards? To be fair, Edwards looks like he's making a decent effort at Cas.

Gaskell, Cunningham and Mcintosh, although the main ones were Gaskell, Edwards and Sezer, once those 3 were out of the picture our performances and effort picked up noticeably last season, one of Watson's 1st controversial but hugely beneficial acts.

On 13/04/2022 at 16:03, Human Punk said:

As Daz says, Sezer and Gaskell mainly, Edwards manufactured his way out because he didn't want to put the hard work in, although there are no hard feelings and he went to Cas on loan rather than have his contract terminated.

I think Gavet was another one who didn't get Watson's methods.

But Sam Wood is the only one who left who Watson was sad to see leave.

Yes Woody deciding himself to leave but did say it was a really hard and sad decision to make, he also didn't rule out a return as he only signed a 1 year deal with KR, i'd have him back as he always gave 100% and is a highly likeable bloke and a excellent utility value.

Wood wants to play centre and he is 4th in line for that gig currently, which is why I felt sorry for him in his opening games being made to play wing (and having a shocker)

I'd happily see him back with us, not so much the rest.

Macintosh I thought was playing his way into England frame, but not any more from what I've seen 

When you look at The Giants squad it’s chock full of their own Academy graduates complimented by some of Watsons signings. It’s not the Salary Cap that’s made Huddersfield competitive it’s their fantastic youth department

• Innes Senior
  • Louis Senior
  • Jake Wardle
  • Jermaine McGilvery
  • Leroy Cudjoe
  • Nathan Mason
  • Sam Hewitt
  • Jon Luke Kirby
  • Matty English
  • Oliver Russell
  • Will Price
  • Michael Lawrence
  • Owen Trout
  • Oliver Roberts

There’s a number of others but they’re really young lads who haven’t played first team rugby yet

Then you consider that there’s a few notable Giants Academy players now starring with other SL teams

Jake Connor

Kruise Leeming

Sam Wood

Darnell McIntosh

Dom Young at Newcastle Knights

55 minutes ago, OMEGA said:

It’s not the Salary Cap that’s made Huddersfield competitive it’s their fantastic youth department

Don't want this to sound argumentative as I agree with your post that the Giants Academy is producing quality player's.

But specifically on the quote above, is this not a chicken and egg thing.  If it were not for the salary cap the Giants (and others) could be throwing more money at aging Aussies while with the cap in place the youth development is a sensible, long term strategic decision?

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

21 hours ago, OMEGA said:

When you look at The Giants squad it’s chock full of their own Academy graduates complimented by some of Watsons signings. It’s not the Salary Cap that’s made Huddersfield competitive it’s their fantastic youth department

• Innes Senior
  • Louis Senior
  • Jake Wardle
  • Jermaine McGilvery
  • Leroy Cudjoe
  • Nathan Mason
  • Sam Hewitt
  • Jon Luke Kirby
  • Matty English
  • Oliver Russell
  • Will Price
  • Michael Lawrence
  • Owen Trout
  • Oliver Roberts

There’s a number of others but they’re really young lads who haven’t played first team rugby yet

Then you consider that there’s a few notable Giants Academy players now starring with other SL teams

Jake Connor

Kruise Leeming

Sam Wood

Darnell McIntosh

Oliver Wilson 

Ronan Michael 

Dominic Young 

Toby and George King were in our u16s before signing for Warrington.

8 hours ago, meast said:

Oliver Wilson 

Ronan Michael 

Dominic Young 

Toby and George King were in our u16s before singing for Warrington.

Yes I meant to mention Dom at Newcastle

Theres also Ross Whitmore at Doncaster

Ben Tibbs at Hunslet etc..

Archived