Championship & L1 2022 mid-season pickups

3 hours ago, sweaty craiq said:

That stand off looks tasty doesn’t he

That's enough about your fetishes on here. 😜

Please view my photos.

http://www.hughesphoto.co.uk/

Little Nook Farm - Caravan Club Certificated Location in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

http://www.facebook.com/LittleNookFarm

Little Nook Cottage - 2-bed self-catering cottage in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

Book now via airbnb

8 hours ago, Angelic Cynic said:

You seem quite unsympathetic, just because Leigh couldn't take advantage when they were #Super League Ready.

Leigh Centurions didn't have other clubs against them - https://www.examinerlive.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/toulouse-olympique-super-league-concern-21827448

Or have to pay the travel costs of the other clubs - https://www.loverugbyleague.com/post/why-toulouse-are-paying-for-away-travel-costs-in-super-league/

Lots of overseas signings for Leigh in The Championship, though.

Thanks for the Response Kev. 

As my good friend and Featherstone Fan Robin would say ‘ It’ll be reet’

Them Aussies love Penny Flash 👌

Leigh confrim signing of Blake Ferguson

https://leighrl.co.uk/wp/v2/blog/2022/04/29/leigh-centurions-sign-international-superstar-winger-blake-ferguson/

DB also confirmed in the article that this is going to be a sustained push for next year if we don't go up this year:

Mr Beaumont added: “Having achieved Super League with the club three times and been relegated on each occasion it’s imperative that when we do get promoted, whether it be this year or in future years, that we arrive in there with a team that is competing in the top eight of the table so we can then build this club to compete at the highest level.

“I have been very impressed with Adrian, Tony (Clubb) and the rest of the performance team and how well the lads have bought in and are growing as a team every week. It is, without doubt, the best group I have witnessed at the club and to get this over the line during our recruitment meeting for next year yesterday was great.

“I have said all along I will support heavily financially this year. There are no guarantees in sport, and I am committed that if we don’t achieve, we will still need the same team the year after. So, Chris has been given the green light yesterday, on my intentions and support irrespective of the outcome so we can move forward now and not when it’s too late to build.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, LeytherRob said:

https://leighrl.co.uk/wp/v2/blog/2022/04/29/leigh-centurions-sign-international-superstar-winger-blake-ferguson/

DB also confirmed in the article that this is going to be a sustained push for next year if we don't go up this year:

Mr Beaumont added: “Having achieved Super League with the club three times and been relegated on each occasion it’s imperative that when we do get promoted, whether it be this year or in future years, that we arrive in there with a team that is competing in the top eight of the table so we can then build this club to compete at the highest level.

“I have been very impressed with Adrian, Tony (Clubb) and the rest of the performance team and how well the lads have bought in and are growing as a team every week. It is, without doubt, the best group I have witnessed at the club and to get this over the line during our recruitment meeting for next year yesterday was great.

“I have said all along I will support heavily financially this year. There are no guarantees in sport, and I am committed that if we don’t achieve, we will still need the same team the year after. So, Chris has been given the green light yesterday, on my intentions and support irrespective of the outcome so we can move forward now and not when it’s too late to build.

Your move Mr Campbell. 😂😂

Here we go again .....

1 minute ago, Jughead said:

Wasn’t aware you could have “significant player sponsorship” which I’m guessing is “someone is paying a large chunk of his wages that Leigh can’t pay”. 

Weird take...sponsorship income is covering outgoing player wages at every club. What else is it for?

5 minutes ago, Jughead said:

Wasn’t aware you could have “significant player sponsorship” which I’m guessing is “someone is paying a large chunk of his wages that Leigh can’t pay”. 

Every player has a sponsor. Whether it's "significant" is probably subjective. 

I wouldn't spend any time trawling the operational rules for how significant a sponsor can be.

10 minutes ago, LeytherRob said:

Weird take...sponsorship income is covering outgoing player wages at every club. What else is it for?

Just a lot of loopholes there that can be exploited, that’s all. All very Bournemouth “magically” going from a small third division club to a Premier League club about it. Most expensive corner flags in the world, a bit like this must be one of the most expensive player sponsorships in Rugby League. 

1 minute ago, Jughead said:

Just a lot of loopholes there that can be exploited, that’s all. All very Bournemouth “magically” going from a small third division club to a Premier League club about it. Most expensive corner flags in the world, a bit like this must be one of the most expensive player sponsorships in Rugby League. 

What loopholes? The only thing Leigh have to be concerned about will be the salary cap, which they will still be well under. There aren't any limits on how big sponsorship can be as far as i'm aware, it would be pretty counter intuitive for a sport struggling for income.

• Like 1

Just now, LeytherRob said:

What loopholes? The only thing Leigh have to be concerned about will be the salary cap, which they will still be well under. There aren't any limits on how big sponsorship can be as far as i'm aware, it would be pretty counter intuitive for a sport struggling for income.

The fact you don’t actually have to have the money as a club to sign someone and can load their wages through someone else is a bit of a loophole when some will live within their means instead. Just a bit of an unusual way to do it and I daren’t say Leigh are the first or last to do this but it’ll be interesting nonetheless to see what happens. 

2 minutes ago, Jughead said:

The fact you don’t actually have to have the money as a club to sign someone and can load their wages through someone else is a bit of a loophole when some will live within their means instead. Just a bit of an unusual way to do it and I daren’t say Leigh are the first or last to do this but it’ll be interesting nonetheless to see what happens. 

A fact is a verifiable thing, you've just taken one sentence of the release and applied your own narrative to it. You or I have no idea what BF is being paid and how much sponsorship is covering, or even how much money DB had that can cover it. Only in RL can we spin a club getting a new sponsor into a negative...

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, LeytherRob said:

A fact is a verifiable thing, you've just taken one sentence of the release and applied your own narrative to it. You or I have no idea what BF is being paid and how much sponsorship is covering, or even how much money DB had that can cover it. Only in RL can we spin a club getting a new sponsor into a negative...

Touchy. 

You’re creating your own narrative too. Homes Together are not a new sponsor. They’re an existing Leigh sponsor, footing a portion of the bill for the player. At least it’s not Degsy’s money this time, I suppose.

All players at all clubs have sponsors, usually the cost is based around how many times the player scores so that the company sponsoring gets more coverage. Other things include corporate events fr the sponsors and a social media push by the player the company.

At leigh previously they used to range from £2000 for a prop for example who doesn’t score much upto £10,000 for a goal kicking winger who scores a load.

There is a hell of a lot of income generated for a club this way.

One day,perhaps,there will be a statement released by Leigh Centurions, that we will have to read because,well,that seems to be the way it is,where in that statement,Derek Beaumont will NOT inform the weary reader,that he invests money.

He MUSTbe the only owner of a rugby league club to do this.

Sooo good of him,when the mushroom syndrome is the usual treatment meted out to the underclass rugby league follower.  

• Haha 1

No reserves,but resilience,persistence and determination are omnipotent.                       

5 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Honest question Gav, would you be upset if York had signed all those NSW Cup player's?

Yes and no, I think mate.

Obviously it would strengthen the team which would be great, but I would be concerned how sustainable it would be, not just financially but in terms of team disruption and succession planning too.

I'm not too sure I'd have much connection to a team with 9 or 10 overseas players in a starting 17 either.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Angelic Cynic said:

One day,perhaps,there will be a statement released by Leigh Centurions, that we will have to read because,well,that seems to be the way it is,where in that statement,Derek Beaumont will NOT inform the weary reader,that he invests money.

He MUSTbe the only owner of a rugby league club to do this.

Sooo good of him,when the mushroom syndrome is the usual treatment meted out to the underclass rugby league follower.  

I would answer that if I understood what it all meant, but for the bit I can decipher being a "weary reader" must say I had a smile on my face when I read it😀

2 hours ago, LeytherRob said:

He certainly knows how to get his nose over the white line

Edited by Davo5

So how many overseas players now is that at Leigh, do they outnumber local players?

Anyway, in much bigger news Town have signed international superstar Twins Connor and Curtis Davies until the end of the season, both have been playing for Villeneuve so are match fit and ready.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Gav Wilson said:

Yes and no, I think mate.

Obviously it would strengthen the team which would be great, but I would be concerned how sustainable it would be, not just financially but in terms of team disruption and succession planning too.

I'm not too sure I'd have much connection to a team with 9 or 10 overseas players in a starting 17 either.

Given the choice Gav, I would sooner have team full of home grown players, but even a Saints, Wigan or Warrington or any other SL team or even Fev can acheive that, and be successful without their overseas stars, Catalan would probably not exist now but for a near squad full of overseas players in the past, the sad thing is that Leigh are reliant on breaching these shores in search of the required talent, unless you can tell me where else they should look?

• Like 1