Championship & L1 2022 mid-season pickups

1 hour ago, LeytherRob said:

Leigh confrim signing of Blake Ferguson

https://leighrl.co.uk/wp/v2/blog/2022/04/29/leigh-centurions-sign-international-superstar-winger-blake-ferguson/

DB also confirmed in the article that this is going to be a sustained push for next year if we don't go up this year:

Mr Beaumont added: “Having achieved Super League with the club three times and been relegated on each occasion it’s imperative that when we do get promoted, whether it be this year or in future years, that we arrive in there with a team that is competing in the top eight of the table so we can then build this club to compete at the highest level.

“I have been very impressed with Adrian, Tony (Clubb) and the rest of the performance team and how well the lads have bought in and are growing as a team every week. It is, without doubt, the best group I have witnessed at the club and to get this over the line during our recruitment meeting for next year yesterday was great.

“I have said all along I will support heavily financially this year. There are no guarantees in sport, and I am committed that if we don’t achieve, we will still need the same team the year after. So, Chris has been given the green light yesterday, on my intentions and support irrespective of the outcome so we can move forward now and not when it’s too late to build.

That is a huge signing , even huger for the championship 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, dkw said:

So how many overseas players now is that at Leigh, do they outnumber local players?

Anyway, in much bigger news Town have signed international superstar Twins Connor and Curtis Davies until the end of the season, both have been playing for Villeneuve so are match fit and ready.

I was thinking of giving the Workington game a miss, but seeing that you now have 2 international superstars playing I will probably go, let me know what time you will be getting to Leigh I will stand you a pint.

4 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

I was thinking of giving the Workington game a miss, but seeing that you now have 2 international superstars playing I will probably go, let me know what time you will be getting to Leigh I will stand you a pint.

You’ve heard of the Morris twins right ? Well , they’re you go . These are twins to .

Edited by DavidM
  • Haha 2

I’d rather Leigh have a full time academy but The RFL refused so I can see what Derek is doing, what is really annoying is 4 of the St Helen’s kids that played at Castleford last week are from Leigh East.

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, binosh said:

I’d rather Leigh have a full time academy but The RFL refused so I can see what Derek is doing, what is really annoying is 4 of the St Helen’s kids that played at Castleford last week are from Leigh East.

Can't do that, it would deny Saints, Wigan and Wire the opportunity to sign some Leigh lads.

1 hour ago, Harry Stottle said:

@Sir Kevin Sinfield here you go another NSW country player that Leigh sign.

Unbelievable, Leigh seem to be splashing the cash and going for a World record attempt of the most overseas players. As I’ve said before my concern is Leigh and Featherstone are overspending and playing a game of Super League or bust. It wouldn’t be the first time with Leigh.

Will he get a visa with his recent conviction for drug offences?

1 hour ago, Jughead said:

The fact you don’t actually have to have the money as a club to sign someone and can load their wages through someone else is a bit of a loophole when some will live within their means instead. Just a bit of an unusual way to do it and I daren’t say Leigh are the first or last to do this but it’ll be interesting nonetheless to see what happens. 

I really do not understand what you're on about here. How is finding sponsorship revenue into the club a loophole? Unless the sponsor is directly linked to Beaumont, then it's a valid revenue?

It's not like Beaumont makes a secret of having to pump his own money in anyway.

56 minutes ago, Gav Wilson said:

Yes and no, I think mate.

Obviously it would strengthen the team which would be great, but I would be concerned how sustainable it would be, not just financially but in terms of team disruption and succession planning too.

I'm not too sure I'd have much connection to a team with 9 or 10 overseas players in a starting 17 either.

I know what you mean. I've found myself with less connection to Leigh RL this year, but not so much because of the number of overseas players, just the fact that it's a completely new team again. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

Unbelievable, Leigh seem to be splashing the cash and going for a World record attempt of the most overseas players. As I’ve said before my concern is Leigh and Featherstone are overspending and playing a game of Super League or bust. It wouldn’t be the first time with Leigh.

Will he get a visa with his recent conviction for drug offences?

When was it Leigh last went bust Kev, please remind me?

Regards the Visa, I would be surprised if Leigh have not already confirmed that it will be OK, it must be about a month or so ago that his signing was first mooted plenty of time to dot the i's and cross the t's I would think Kev.

1 hour ago, clogdance said:

Seems a bit odd if true, Hepi signed a new 2 year deal with Cas in September '21.

WE all thought that too C but hey ho

54 minutes ago, clogdance said:

Featherstone  have a squad of only 30 players now.

Tyla makes 31 C but  we've sent six  out on loan  four in championship two in league 1