Championship & L1 2022 mid-season pickups

15 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

Will he actually get game time at Fev? If so in who's position, seems a strange one this for an initial 2 weeks, but I should think if he does manage to play and does alright won't Cas then want him back.

Nice to see Fev & Leigh giving young English talent a chance ✈️🪃

1 hour ago, Davo5 said:

Nice to see Fev & Leigh giving young English talent a chance ✈️🪃

If years of neglect around the community and amatuer game hadn't taken place there may be enough young English talent to choose from Dav, there would be more player's to populate academies but there ain't many, not enough anyway according to the powers that be for clubs to run academies if they so wish. 

Fev and Leigh are competing for promotion so will find the best they can afford,  no difference whatsoever than Saints and Wigan will do and are doing, tell me Dav would Wigan at this moment in time be registering the wins they are doing without their overseas contingent?

I would sooner no team has to depend on imports if that was so our game woukd be so much stronger and we wouldn't be calling for National Australian's to be representing us in OUR national team.

Edited by Harry Stottle

55 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

If years of neglect around the community and amatuer game hadn't taken place there may be enough young English talent to choose from Dav, there would be more player's to populate academies but there ain't many, not enough anyway according to the powers that be for clubs to run academies if they so wish. 

Fev and Leigh are competing for promotion so will find the best they can afford,  no difference whatsoever than Saints and Wigan will do and are doing, tell me Dav would Wigan at this moment in time be registering the wins they are doing without their overseas contingent?

I would sooner no team has to depend on imports if that was so our game woukd be so much stronger and we wouldn't be calling for National Australian's to be representing us in OUR national team.

Wigan & Saints teams are full of young English talent supplemented by a few quality imports,what Fev & Leigh are doing is embarrassing,it’s just a ###### for tat antipodean arms race that has rendered the Championship pointless.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Davo5 said:

Wigan & Saints teams are full of young English talent supplemented by a few quality imports,what Fev & Leigh are doing is embarrassing,it’s just a ###### for tat antipodean arms race that has rendered the Championship pointless.

Presumably, were your chosen team in the Championship, having seen multiple years with no promotion at all (and when it does exist, it's limited to one team), they would put the integrity of the competition first and play only home grown players that they could pick up that SL clubs don't want.  It would give you the moral high ground, whilst still stuck outside the top flight with no hope of getting there.

What would your solution be?

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Davo5 said:

I wouldn't disagree with you for a moment re Fev and Leigh, what do you expect them to do each club are not allowed to have an academy, but do not delude yourself one bit Dav, if SL did not have a limit on the number of foriegn player's they could have both Saints, Wigan or whoever would be trying to get one over on their rivals with the number off and better player's than each of them can produce in house, the "few quality imports" as you call them would change to a lot of quality imports.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Tubby said:

Presumably, were your chosen team in the Championship, having seen multiple years with no promotion at all (and when it does exist, it's limited to one team), they would put the integrity of the competition first and play only home grown players that they could pick up that SL clubs don't want.  It would give you the moral high ground, whilst still stuck outside the top flight with no hope of getting there.

What would your solution be?

He doesn't need a solution Tubby, Whitehaven is the home town team of Dav whilst he still supports Wigan, nothing wrong in that whatsoever but it does render his argument neutral has having one foot in either camp.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Harry Stottle said:

He doesn't need a solution Tubby, Whitehaven is the home town team of Dav whilst he still supports Wigan, nothing wrong in that whatsoever but it does render his argument neutral has having one foot in either camp.

Did Wigan ever encourage an ' arms race ' that left the RL Championship and the CC virtually meaningless ? , Mmmm let me think ? 🤔

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Davo5 said:

I would assume that this young talent has come through their academy system a luxury which Fev and Leigh are not allowed.

Instead of blaming championship clubs you should be blaming the RFL and SL clubs for rigging the system to ensure they get the pick of the best young players.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Cardypaul said:

I would assume that this young talent has come through their academy system a luxury which Fev and Leigh are not allowed.

Instead of blaming championship clubs you should be blaming the RFL and SL clubs for rigging the system to ensure they get the pick of the best young players.

The rest of the Championship haven’t resorted to filling their teams with Antipodean mercenaries on short term contracts.

13 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

I support both as I do my community club and when in Australia the Roosters,is that not allowed & does that mean I’m not allowed an opinion on this subject,or are only Leigh fans allowed to comment on their recruitment policy ??

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Davo5 said:

The rest of the Championship haven’t resorted to filling their teams with Antipodean mercenaries on short term contracts.

Tell the Championship to cap the level of imports then !

I remember Wigan well in the 80s and early 90’s when being the sole FT club and having to win everything to break even. As good as it was, I honestly think it didn’t do RL any good at all

Just a shame Championship clubs have to retort back to that generation just to get promoted because all the best juniors slush around in other teams academies. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Davo5 said:

Fev and Leigh are putting out the best teams that they can afford, which will give them the best chance to achieve their goals. This is to be applauded, not derided. It's not their fault they can't run Academies. Indeed, Fev have always wanted to run one but are not allowed. How ridiculous is that? The fact other clubs do not have many overseas players is not a matter for Fev or Leigh, only a matter  for those individual clubs. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

"Out of the way,son. Where's my medal?" Alex Murphy's immortal words as David Hobbs scores his 2nd try in the '83 Cup Final!

2 hours ago, Davo5 said:

So your answer to a rigged academy system is to criticise the top 2 clubs in the championship for getting in the best players they can find because they are not British, no wonder the game is in the state it’s in.

• Like 1

It was only a few years ago,the supporters of Featherstone and Leigh Centurions, and some head coaches,criticised ' expansion ' clubs for using players from overseas - how times change;quickly.

As for Academies,while 'elite' clubs are allowed to take youngsters from far and wide,it may only be a matter of time before those positions are filled with players from overseas - as per Association Football. 

They should abandon club run Academies,now. 

• Like 2

No reserves,but resilience,persistence and determination are omnipotent.                       

1 hour ago, Cardypaul said:

So your answer to a rigged academy system is to criticise the top 2 clubs in the championship for getting in the best players they can find because they are not British, no wonder the game is in the state it’s in.

Barrow are getting the benefits of having an academy in partnership with the local college.

The game is in the state it is because the likes of your club are signing plane loads of reserve grade imports at the expense of British players in a desperate move to outdo Leigh for promotion,it remains to be seen if it’s affordable.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Snowys Backside said:

Tell the Championship to cap the level of imports then !

I remember Wigan well in the 80s and early 90’s when being the sole FT club and having to win everything to break even. As good as it was, I honestly think it didn’t do RL any good at all

Just a shame Championship clubs have to retort back to that generation just to get promoted because all the best juniors slush around in other teams academies. 

Ahh the old Wigan were the only full time club urban myth again.

4 hours ago, Davo5 said:

I support both as I do my community club and when in Australia the Roosters,is that not allowed & does that mean I’m not allowed an opinion on this subject,or are only Leigh fans allowed to comment on their recruitment policy ??

Didn't I say "nothing wrong in that whatsoever" 

15 minutes ago, Davo5 said:

Barrow are getting the benefits of having an academy in partnership with the local college.

The game is in the state it is because the likes of your club are signing plane loads of reserve grade imports at the expense of British players in a desperate move to outdo Leigh for promotion,it remains to be seen if it’s affordable.

Not to long ago people were deriding a rugby league system that was a bottom up approach instead of a top down, it seems you want a competitive Championship were the best of mediocre teams gains the top spot, and to hell with clubs who have ambition.

The directive of the RFL is Championship clubs are not goverened by the number of overseas players they can sign in their quest for promotion, you are correct in that Leigh and Fev are both striving to outdo each other to get the promotion spot, but please tell me what are they supposed to do, there are not enough quality players to go round or is it that they both have to say this is not right, what about poor York or poor Newcastle or anyone else for that matter Leigh and Fev each have their own agenda, not unlike SL teams striving for winning the GF or Workington trying to avoid the drop they will do what is needed within the rules to acheive their objective.

Please tell me Dav, how would you do things differently?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Davo5 said:

Fev have had one of those for some time. 

All clubs play within the rules of their respective division. The real issue here isn't the individual clubs, it's the rules they are allowed to work within. 

• Like 1

Please view my photos.

http://www.hughesphoto.co.uk/

Little Nook Farm - Caravan Club Certificated Location in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

http://www.facebook.com/LittleNookFarm

Little Nook Cottage - 2-bed self-catering cottage in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

Book now via airbnb

6 hours ago, Davo5 said:

Last year's Whitehaven squad included Dion Aiye (PNG), Jesse Joe Parker (PNG), Louis Jouffret (France), Lachlan Walmsley (Australia), Ryan King (Australia), Nikau Williams (NZ), and Dean Zammit (Australia/Malta). It's hard to argue that their success last year wasn't heavily dependent on these overseas signings..

So were you quite as scatheing about Whitehaven signing these players, or is it somehow different when it's your own club?

• Like 5
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

Last year's Whitehaven squad included Dion Aiye (PNG), Jesse Joe Parker (PNG), Louis Jouffret (France), Lachlan Walmsley (Australia), Ryan King (Australia), Nikau Williams (NZ), and Dean Zammit (Australia/Malta). It's hard to argue that their success last year wasn't heavily dependent on these overseas signings..

So were you quite as scatheing about Whitehaven signing these players, or is it somehow different when it's your own club?

That’s really not comparable. Aiye and JJP have basically been up there for 10 years. Not really short term contracts to win promotion. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, dealwithit said:

That’s really not comparable. Aiye and JJP have basically been up there for 10 years. Not really short term contracts to win promotion. 

Sure. They had two, then they signed another 5. He was complaining about blocking spots to young English talent. I was just asking if he was so vociferous when his own club did the same thing in their own pursuit of success?

• Like 5