Rugby League Heroes - John Cogger

Bedford Roughyed

(Quote)   "It was a freezing cold day and there was about six inches of snow. There was an altercation just before half-time. I was fighting with a Batley player. I was up against a fence, and someone grabbed me by the hair. I got out of the fight, turned around and a woman was laughing, still grabbing my hair. I can’t remember what I said" (Unquote)

Crown Flat. I was there. It all happened in the covered stand about 10 feet directly in front of me. What he said isn't repeatable here. The players got involved and the crowd rushed forwards to the barrier and got involved. All slapping and shouting. It was a complete 'melee'. Nobody seemed to have a clue what was going on. Or why. It all happened really quickly. Bottom line is, he got sent off.  To make matters worse, Batley played down the slope in the second half and we lost. 

John Cogger was a great player in a team that was always a 100% pleasure to watch.  Thanks for the memories, John.

We were so near, yet so far, from Wembley. I still 'dislike' Holdsworth. With a passion !

• Like 4

16 hours ago, ArthurO said:

(Quote)   "It was a freezing cold day and there was about six inches of snow. There was an altercation just before half-time. I was fighting with a Batley player. I was up against a fence, and someone grabbed me by the hair. I got out of the fight, turned around and a woman was laughing, still grabbing my hair. I can’t remember what I said" (Unquote)

Crown Flat. I was there. It all happened in the covered stand about 10 feet directly in front of me. What he said isn't repeatable here. The players got involved and the crowd rushed forwards to the barrier and got involved. All slapping and shouting. It was a complete 'melee'. Nobody seemed to have a clue what was going on. Or why. It all happened really quickly. Bottom line is, he got sent off.  To make matters worse, Batley played down the slope in the second half and we lost. 

John Cogger was a great player in a team that was always a 100% pleasure to watch.  Thanks for the memories, John.

We were so near, yet so far, from Wembley. I still 'dislike' Holdsworth. With a passion !

Crown Flatt was Dewsbury’s ground Arthur.

Batley played at Mt. Pleasant.

Great memories of John Cogger. Could start a fight in an empty house but skilful as well. 

7 hours ago, john in oz said:

Crown Flatt was Dewsbury’s ground Arthur.

John.

Yes. You're correct. My apologies. I meant to say Mt. Pleasant, not Crown Flatt.

8 hours ago, ArthurO said:

John.

Yes. You're correct. My apologies. I meant to say Mt. Pleasant, not Crown Flatt.

No worries Arthur.

Enjoy the game against Hornets.

Wish I could be there.

I think you and I may be of a similar vintage. I can recall when we used to play Swinton every Christmas Day at Watersheddings and Station Road on Good Friday, more often than not snowing on each day !

• Like 1

John Cogger -- legend, a player who always punched above his weight, fans' favourite, great club man, a fella who didn't know the meaning of 'coasting' through a game -- and truly typical of him that he still keeps in touch with Roughyeds and says he is still a supporter. Oh for more John Coggers ! The LE headline says it all: 'The Aussie who loves Oldham'. Coming with the letter from the new fan in Staffordshire who said how wonderfully well he and his step-daughter had been looked after at the West Wales game (see Roughyeds website) it perhaps indicates that our club is doing something right after all. Well done to all concerned. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Roger and Out said:

John Cogger -- legend, a player who always punched above his weight, fans' favourite, great club man, a fella who didn't know the meaning of 'coasting' through a game -- and truly typical of him that he still keeps in touch with Roughyeds and says he is still a supporter. Oh for more John Coggers ! The LE headline says it all: 'The Aussie who loves Oldham'. Coming with the letter from the new fan in Staffordshire who said how wonderfully well he and his step-daughter had been looked after at the West Wales game (see Roughyeds website) it perhaps indicates that our club is doing something right after all. Well done to all concerned. 

He punched above his weight that day at Hornets ! I don’t think he left anybody out.

• Haha 1

On 13/04/2022 at 21:31, ArthurO said:

I was there, with my Sister, that day. We were making our way through the Stand when it all kicked off near us. Think Roundy was involved in the Fracas too and got sent off for his troubles. Isn't Mount Pleasant the name of Batleys Ground and Crown Flatt is or was Dewsburys? 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Curlywurly2 said:

Isn't Mount Pleasant the name of Batleys Ground and Crown Flatt is or was Dewsburys? 

Curly.

Yes. You're correct. My apologies. I meant to say Mount Peasant, NOT Crown Flatt.