The biggest local derby

With some sell out games over easter and hull winger adam swift saying the hull derby was the biggest, i wonder what other fans think. 

For me a local derby also has to have national and even international appeal, and so my votes for the biggest UK/ Europe derby would be

1 Wigan V St helens- no doubt about it 

I did used to love the leeds v bradford bulls derbys and it will be interesting to see Catalan V toulouse

Hull and hull kr is getting there but still not in the same league as Wigan V Saints

• Like 1

Leeds v Bradford is a massive miss to the sport IMO.  Massive crowds and massive games - loved them.

I also love the Hull derby and it has every drop of the passion the Saints v Wigan game dows - the only real difference is the Saints v Wigan derby has often taken place at the very top of the game between the best teams which has not been the case for the Hull derby in recent memory.

• Like 4

Both huge games for various reasons, I’d probably pick Saints v Wigan but maybe because I’m from the North West and not Hull. Can’t wait to see both tomorrow. 

I wouldn’t describe Catalans v Toulouse as a derby though, I don’t think they’ve ever played eachother (as the Dragons) and they’re 130 miles apart. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Eddie said:

I wouldn’t describe Catalans v Toulouse as a derby though, I don’t think they’ve ever played eachother (as the Dragons) and they’re 130 miles apart. 

Definitely a derby in the current context without a doubt, in the same way Leeds v Bradford was a derby (closer I know).

Wouldn't it be fabulous if these two sides could build up a long-lasting domestic rivalry at the top table - fingers crossed Catalans do the right thing and give up some points like Saints did 😉

Edited by FearTheVee
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, FearTheVee said:

Definitely a derby in the current context without a doubt, in the same way Leeds v Bradford was a derby (closer I know).

Wouldn't it be fabulous if these two sides could build up a long-lasting domestic rivalry at the top table - fingers crossed Catalans do the right thing and give up some points like Saints did 😉

Yeah it would be superb 👍.

Leeds and Bradford were not only close geographically but had a long-standing rivalry on the pitch, I can’t see the similarity but fair enough. 

2 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Yeah it would be superb 👍.

Leeds and Bradford were not only close geographically but had a long-standing rivalry on the pitch, I can’t see the similarity but fair enough. 

Was the Leeds-Bradford derby big before the advent of SL? Just curious, for some reason I remember thinking Bradford weren't much of a force pre-SL. My old Widnes programmes back this up a bit.

Because of their histories, it has to be Wigan-Saints. 

8 minutes ago, Maximus Decimus said:

Was the Leeds-Bradford derby big before the advent of SL? Just curious, for some reason I remember thinking Bradford weren't much of a force pre-SL. My old Widnes programmes back this up a bit.

Because of their histories, it has to be Wigan-Saints. 

I don’t know but there were at least two big teams in big cities right next to eachother, who’d played eachother countless times. Catalans and Toulouse have never played eachother and are 124 miles apart, which is a massive difference. 

Wigan v Saints has consistently been the biggest over many years. The Hull derby has had moments but doesnt now seem to get the crowds it did a few years ago and Leeds v Bradford was only really big for a decade or so.

Edited by Damien

Everyone at both Hull clubs will obviously big up that game as its a game between two close rivals who's fans will be rubbing shoulders with each other all week (and next week) and will want bragging rights.

It is however not a Derby but a match between 2 close rivals.

I have a Dyson hoover, but in reality I don't I have a Dyson vacuum cleaner as Hoover is a separate company but was that successful all vacuum cleaners are now called hoovers! 

Anyway got to go I need to go and Dyson up! 

16 minutes ago, Eddie said:

I don’t know but there were at least two big teams in big cities right next to eachother, who’d played eachother countless times. Catalans and Toulouse have never played eachother and are 124 miles apart, which is a massive difference. 

I've been having a little look on local French websites and there doesn't seem to be that much interest tbh. L'independent is usually very good for Catalans but even its RL coverage isn't based much on the derby.

I do like how they call it the first Franco-Francaise match though, sounds better than derby 😅.

• Like 1

St Helens v Wigan for me, unsurprisingly! Simply because these teams play in the big games. Fixtures between the two decide championships, cup finalists, league leaders etc. No other derby in the sport does that.

Saying that, Leeds v Bradford is a huge miss to the league.

18 minutes ago, Quinskolar said:

In terms of population it has to be Broncos  versus Skolars. Not wrong am I?

What about local population who are aware the clubs exist? Leigh Miners v Leigh East is probably bigger than Broncos v Skolars. 

• Like 1

Getting bored with this subject getting dragged up every so often. Even so, when it comes down to it, only the Hull Derby can produce such bitterness displayed so regularly on this forum by the odd poster.

Hull FC....The Sons of God...
                                                                     (Well, we are about to be crucified on Good Friday)

54 minutes ago, Quinskolar said:

In terms of population it has to be Broncos  versus Skolars. Not wrong am I?

Have the two clubs ever met in a competitive league or cup fixture?

2 hours ago, Maximus Decimus said:

I've been having a little look on local French websites and there doesn't seem to be that much interest tbh. L'independent is usually very good for Catalans but even its RL coverage isn't based much on the derby.

Shhhhhh, that's totally against the consensus of opinion on these pages.

Off with yer head. 

• Sad 1

Adam Swift on the Hull derby :

“The fans are absolutely mental, I don’t know what it is. I’ve been to the gym today and I spoke to some fellas there and I asked if they were going to the game and they said, ‘we don’t want to give the opposition any money’"

Sounds about right...

Hull FC....The Sons of God...
                                                                     (Well, we are about to be crucified on Good Friday)

Everybody seems to be calling today's clash of Les Dracs and TOXIII a derby - even the Catalan club's website - and I understand why.  It's interesting to note, however, that the distance by road between the two is about twelve miles more than the journey for the away team when the Wire play Hull KR.

Can factors other than distance be taken into account when defining a 'derby'?  In a French context, I think of something like Carcassonne -v- Limoux as a derby.  I think I am right in saying they are about fifteen miles apart.