just wondering what the 70000 people who turned up at Aintree last sat to cheer horses to their painful deaths are doing for "a bit of fun " this weekend?

• Like 1

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

On 14/04/2022 at 17:19, graveyard johnny said:

just wondering what the 70000 people who turned up at Aintree last sat to cheer horses to their painful deaths are doing for "a bit of fun " this weekend?

Possibly going horse racing again or having Bar-B-Q's in their gardens if the weather stays dry

13 minutes ago, The Future is League said:

Possibly going horse racing again or having Bar-B-Q's in their gardens if the weather stays dry

a bbq is one thing i have never done

13 minutes ago, The Future is League said:

Invite some friends around and supply lots of beef, Pork and Chicken and ask them to bring some beers and supply some beers and spirts yourself and a good time will be had by all

the beers and spirits sounds ok but will give the rest a miss thanks 

36 minutes ago, The Future is League said:

Invite some friends around and supply lots of beef, Pork and Chicken and ask them to bring some beers and supply some beers and spirts yourself and a good time will be had by all

Don't forget to bring some horse, too 

• Haha 1

Hire v dog racing? Pah! Kids stuff 

Man V. Horse (South Loch Ness) Sunday 17th April 2022 After several very successful Man V Horse competitions since 2013 the South Loch Ness Access Group have decided to pick up and run the event again in 2022. The start time will be 11. a.m. with a massed start for all runners and staggered starts for horses and riders 10 minutes later.

my grandad used to bring horse steak home for us  on a friday night when i were a nipper 1960s,he worked on railway and one a lads butchered for the whole workforce, looked kinda greenish when cooked but sure packed some flavour for sure,

Not that long ago, I sold my bus timetable collection (all c 1960 to 1970)

One, from about 1964, was for Leigh Corporation Transport.  It had adverts in it, including one for a pet shop that said it had fresh horsemeat in stock daily.  I cannot see the likes of Pets at Home doing that nowadays!

That reminiscence aside, I do share GYJ's distaste of the Aintree meeting which includes the Grand National, which seems to put an undue stress on the horses.

• Like 2

Got a big bet on today to celebrate the running of the Irish Grand National:

Kempton - 2.55pm: Saga 10/11

Fairyhouse - 3.15pm: Folcano 7/1

Kempton - 3.30pm: Diamond Bay 9/2

Fairyhouse - 3.50pm: Whiskey Sour 6/1

Kempton - 4.05pm: Roman Mist 10/3

Fairyhouse - 4.20pm: Janadil 1/1 

Fairyhouse - 5.00pm: Max Flamingo 10/1

35 x £1.32 trebles (stake £46.20) max return £7,262.84

Basically any combination of three winners returns some money.

My own view on the Grand National is that it’s much safer for the horses now than it was in the past with the changes made to the course.

I think the focus is on having a fatality free event and there was a run of Grand Nationals in recent years where this was achieved.

With so many entries though there is more potential for a jumping mistake that can lead to a fatal injury for a horse - although it must be kept in mind that a horse can suffer a terrible leg injury along a flat section too.

Edited by Gerrumonside ref
  • Like 2

46 minutes ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

although it must be kept in mind that a horse can suffer a terrible leg injury along a flat section too.

Indeed , i had a share in a horse that suffered a fatal injury in a 6 furlong sprint . Racehorses get the best care and treatment bar the very odd aberration , the medical back up on racedays is second to none and theyre bred to run - and jump , and still do without a jockey . Racing is a fantastic sport , even better having even a tiny vested interest in it , massively popular spectator wise and just the best day out 

• Like 6

On 18/04/2022 at 13:46, Gerrumonside ref said:

although it must be kept in mind that a horse can suffer a terrible leg injury along a flat section too.

oh that makes it perfectly ok then 

Just now, graveyard johnny said:

oh that makes it perfectly ok then 

What do you want horses to do ? 

I don't watch much horse racing , only been to one live meeting (which I enjoyed )

From what I've seen they seem to enjoy taking on the race/other horses .

Beverley was the race course I've been to . Sound and vibration from the horses was something I wasn't expecting . 

Seeing them at at full speed was fantastic . 

Maybe not for the horses !  

3 minutes ago, henage said:

From what I've seen they seem to enjoy taking on the race/other horses .

horses and dogs have no conception or understanding that they are racing each other for sport 

On 18/04/2022 at 13:46, Gerrumonside ref said:

Got a big bet on today to celebrate the running of the Irish Grand National:

Kempton - 2.55pm: Saga 10/11

Fairyhouse - 3.15pm: Folcano 7/1

Kempton - 3.30pm: Diamond Bay 9/2

Fairyhouse - 3.50pm: Whiskey Sour 6/1

Kempton - 4.05pm: Roman Mist 10/3

Fairyhouse - 4.20pm: Janadil 1/1 

Fairyhouse - 5.00pm: Max Flamingo 10/1

35 x £1.32 trebles (stake £46.20) max return £7,262.84

Basically any combination of three winners returns some money.

My own view on the Grand National is that it’s much safer for the horses now than it was in the past with the changes made to the course.

I think the focus is on having a fatality free event and there was a run of Grand Nationals in recent years where this was achieved.

With so many entries though there is more potential for a jumping mistake that can lead to a fatal injury for a horse - although it must be kept in mind that a horse can suffer a terrible leg injury along a flat section too.

How did you do?

I had an e/w bet on the favourite at 6/1 for the Irish National. It came third and I had 6 places. A very small profit.

53 minutes ago, Niels said:

How did you do?

I had an e/w bet on the favourite at 6/1 for the Irish National. It came third and I had 6 places. A very small profit.

No return on the big trebles bet.  Only Roman Mist won and Janadil fell when leading in the race prior to the Irish Grand National.  A couple more placed.

As a result it meant that my selection in the Irish Grand National (Max Flamingo) was essentially null and void.

So I took a separate £5 each way punt on Max Flamingo and on a whim a £5 each way on Lord Lariat (66/1 at time I placed bet who was tipped in Sporting Life’s site as a potential each way option) just to maintain interest for the race.

Pretty amazed at the result: £406 for Lord Lariat and £19 for Max Flamingo!

Talk about luck!

• Like 2

1. Racehorses like to run. That's why loose horses keep running after their jockeys have fallen.

2. Point-To-Point courses can offer more dangerous fences than racecourses by the presence of inexperienced riders.

3. Most "pedigree" / thoroughbred animals were bred for a purpose. Try pulling a lovely-pet  Kerry Blue Terrier off a rat or a hedgehog.

4. I once worked in a lab where a rabbit pup was born with hydrocephalus. Rabbits are vegetarian but, overnight, the mother killed it and ate it.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

1 hour ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

No return on the big trebles bet.  Only Roman Mist won and Janadil fell when leading in the race prior to the Irish Grand National.  A couple more placed.

As a result it meant that my selection in the Irish Grand National (Max Flamingo) was essentially null and void.

So I took a separate £5 each way punt on Max Flamingo and on a whim a £5 each way on Lord Lariat (66/1 at time I placed bet who was tipped in Sporting Life’s site as a potential each way option) just to maintain interest for the race.

Talk about luck!

Talk about luck … I backed Run Wild Fred in the National and it fell , and stuck with it at Fairyhouse … and it fell . Well Fred , you can run wild coz you cant jump !

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

Talk about luck!

Well done, I am pleased for you.

I read the Sporting Life too, though sometimes I am not sure which tipster to follow. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Wolford6 said:

1. Racehorses like to run. That's why loose horses keep running after their jockeys have fallen.

2. Point-To-Point courses can offer more dangerous fences than racecourses by the presence of inexperienced riders.

3. Most "pedigree" / thoroughbred animals were bred for a purpose. Try pulling a lovely-pet  Kerry Blue Terrier off a rat or a hedgehog.

4. I once worked in a lab where a rabbit pup was born with hydrocephalus. Rabbits are vegetarian but, overnight, the mother killed it and ate it.

When was the last time a terrier was put down for chasing a rat or a hedgehog.

9 hours ago, gittinsfan said:

When was the last time a terrier was put down for chasing a rat or a hedgehog.

Farmers can, and do, shoot dogs chasing flocks of sheep.

Horses are put down when they are geldings break a leg. It would happen to a pit pony as well as a racehorse. I'd venture that the racehorse had a better life.

Most male sheep have a lifespan of about eighteen months to two years. a captive bolt is not much different to being shot.

Edited by Wolford6

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police