"I don't miss playing..."

On 15/04/2022 at 23:04, Robin Evans said:

I'm a fat old bloke of 61 years. I'm playing walking rugby now.... simply because I miss being in my 20's and going at it full tilt.. 

I love the game. I laid here texting cos the game at fev tonight gave me such a buzz I'm as high as a bloody kite. 

I just love rugby... playing, coaching, watching.... just love it 

I started playing Masters Rugby League a couple of seasons ago, had a break because of the covid situation and started again last season. I'm now in Gold shorts (over 60) and don't received big hits but do get to participate in a fabulous social game. Long may it continue.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, clwydianrange said:

About 25 years ago I had a subcontract kerber working for me whose name I think was Vic Doughty. Apparently he used to play for one of the Lancashire clubs. I was having a natter with him on site and he told me how he had to pack in playing in his early thirties as his body couldn’t take the punishment any more. He missed playing rugby so much that he switched to his local amateur union side where he continued to play until he turned forty.

After 35 he could have continued playing Masters Rugby League and probably got as much, if not more enjoyment from it.

• Like 1

We are fans and those like me that played probably trained a couple of times a week and played a game at the weekend because we enjoyed it. I'm late 50s but still fit enough to play Tag Rugby even though some players are now 1/3rd of my age.

A pro player will train most days of the week, gets properly battered about, will have every aspect of their game analysed, is never more than the next tackle away from a possible injury, will play when injured, never more than a game away from getting dropped, might get released, generally treated as a tradeable  piece of meat, they give up a lot in family life and social life, can't take holidays during the season, can't do other sports like skiiing etc..And at the end of their career, they get released and may well have permanent injuries from their playing. 

I remember a clip of Gareth Thomas saying he was "off to work" when he was going to training. For them, it's a job and a fickle, precarious one at that and not many of them will make a lot of money out of it.

Edited by Wakefield Ram
  • Like 4

On 15/04/2022 at 16:10, Maximus Decimus said:

The other is that to many it just became a job and one that they weren't particularly well rewarded for. 

Reminds me of a barbecue I went to, maybe 20 years ago, in a village near Halifax. Amongst the small gathering was a rugby league forward, working his way through a semi-professional career with a clutch of middling standard clubs.

Had a good chat with him. All he talked about was money, money, money. He never gave the slightest inkling he derived any enjoyment from playing rugby league. I found his attitude a bit depressing.

I played to a decent level until my late teens when I got an injury so severe that the club doctor said that my choice was to go back and try to play or walk with a stick when I was 30. So I stopped. Played a bit of social RL in my 20s, then played tag in my 40s (got a few knocks there) and picked another injury playing tag when I was 50 (that still niggles now), and that put the lid on it. Do I miss it? Yes. The buzz of the dressing room, feeling part of a team - and, let's face it, it's an exhilarating game to play. Now 58 and seriously considering walking rugby. Couldn't possibly get injured playing that. Could I?

But take people's point that, as it was never my job, I never got disillusioned by it - so maybe I have a rose-tinted view?

Still obsessed with the game though. Love it.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Billy King's Boots said:

The buzz of the dressing room, feeling part of a team - and, let's face it, it's an exhilarating game to play. Now 58 and seriously considering walking rugby. 

Do it mate. Very low risk and immensely enjoyable.

For silly old bug gers like me, gasping for air on a Saturday lunchtime with a ball in my hands, off loading to a team mate, selling a dummy, putting someone in a gap.... makes me feel in my 20s.

Afterwards, conversation always defaults to 1986 when of course i was international standard!!!!🤣🤣🤣

• Like 1

Funny, I saw a lad the other day who was one that had me thinking this in the past.

Growing up, he was a couple of years older than me and signed on at Wigan and was seen as a real prospect I think. It didn't really happen for him, and I think he dropped out before ever playing first-team.

I noticed him on twitter once a few years back and remember noticing all he posted about was football, not a single RL related tweet. When I lived in Liverpool, lads who'd got close to making it were still mad footy fans.

39 minutes ago, Maximus Decimus said:

Funny, I saw a lad the other day who was one that had me thinking this in the past.

Growing up, he was a couple of years older than me and signed on at Wigan and was seen as a real prospect I think. It didn't really happen for him, and I think he dropped out before ever playing first-team.

I noticed him on twitter once a few years back and remember noticing all he posted about was football, not a single RL related tweet. When I lived in Liverpool, lads who'd got close to making it were still mad footy fans.

This is very common unfortunately.