Workington (H)

Wakefield Ram

3 hours ago, Crown Flatter said:

I listened to the Cumbrian derby last night and it was a tight tussle for most of the game and I think it might be the same come Sunday. 

By the way, Will Tate, at centre, scored a try for Worky. 

I watched the Cumbrian Derby last night, Workington never gave in for 80 minutes, we'll have to be on our best to see this lot off, fans seem to think our relegation battle is with Workington... It's not London is.. For me Workington are dead certs for the drop.. But it's London who we have to top to survive, beating Workington then losing to London a week later doesn't really help our cause, we have to beat Workington, Whitehaven, London all at home and pinch a couple of wins on the road to have any chances of survival, we're 8 games into a 26 game season.. And out of the last 10 games... 7 are away, we need bodies back... And all hands to the pumps... 

Or else 🤔

1 hour ago, coolie said:

I watched the Cumbrian Derby last night, Workington never gave in for 80 minutes, we'll have to be on our best to see this lot off, fans seem to think our relegation battle is with Workington... It's not London is.. For me Workington are dead certs for the drop.. But it's London who we have to top to survive, beating Workington then losing to London a week later doesn't really help our cause, we have to beat Workington, Whitehaven, London all at home and pinch a couple of wins on the road to have any chances of survival, we're 8 games into a 26 game season.. And out of the last 10 games... 7 are away, we need bodies back... And all hands to the pumps... 

Or else 🤔

It's a 27 game season, Summer Bash, you must win your next 2 games, good luck.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I foresee a comfortable victory this weekend for the Rams. It's London who might be the banana skin

• Like 4

Touch Rugby W(h)inger and part-time Super Hero (Thursday mornings by appointment) :superman:

BATLEY BULLDOGS RLFC :bb:

1 hour ago, Piggy's mate said:

I foresee a comfortable victory this weekend for the Rams. It's London who might be the banana skin

Wish I was as optimistic as you PM.

I think you are spot on about London, we need to target the easier teams......oh wait a minute.....

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

"Life's tough.......It's even tougher if you're stupid." - John Wayne

I reckon we will have another one-game DR player from HKR again this week; my guess is a second rower. Will Tate sided with us against Leigh, but I think he will oppose us this week.

A game we must win, but we have only beaten them twice in the previous five clashes. Let’s hope we triumph on this outing.

Dewsbury 25-18 Workington

FTS: Sykes

MoM: Speakman

Att: a disillusioned 644

Legs, Dews, Legs.

As CF points out we have only beaten them twice in the last five. However we haven't played them at home in the league for six years so such form is quite immaterial.

They are struggling, possibly more than we are, and are renowned poor travellers (just like us) so we must expect a victory at the very least, preferably a handsome one with a little bit of classy football thrown in.

Dewsbury 26 - 16 Town

Att: 725

FTS: Ryder

• Haha 1

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

9 hours ago, Blind side johnny said:

As CF points out we have only beaten them twice in the last five. However we haven't played them at home in the league for six years so such form is quite immaterial.

They are struggling, possibly more than we are, and are renowned poor travellers (just like us) so we must expect a victory at the very least, preferably a handsome one with a little bit of classy football thrown in.

Dewsbury 26 - 16 Town

Att: 725

FTS: Ryder

I think we are capable of winning. Without Sykes' sin bin, we played pretty well at Batley.

• Like 1

Head firmly on the guillotine 🤔

We will win as we always do against Workington at home

Between 12 - 16 points difference 

We're due a stand out performance and the fans are due a reward for sticking behind the team. 

Dewsbury 28 Workington 14

FTS a Workington player

MOTM beharrell 

Sinbin Sykes.. 🤔

• Like 2
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 1

18 minutes ago, Evs62 said:

Any links to watch the match just I can't make it today .

Cheers 

Doubt you will be able to watch, other than being at the ground, but you have a choice of listening online:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/live/rugby-league/61058738 

or https://tunein.com/radio/HWD-Hospital-Radio-s225548/

Legs, Dews, Legs.

If we could turn pressure into points we'd have won easily. But Town had a better cutting edge when they had the chance. Short kicks near the line need to improve, Town showed us how it was done. We need to challenge high kicks, they didn't drop one all day and we need to score tries. We need more steadiness near the opposition line, try and force line drop outs, give Ryder a crash ball near the line.

Hats off Speakman for dropping into half back and for taking hit ups as well and to Butterworth for 80mins.

Reluctant to criticise refs but the PTBs were so slow for both teams, which made it hard for both teams to score tries.

Couple of comedy moments. When Town fans in South Stand chanted "you fat b******" at Matty Beharrel. throwing stones in glasshouses sprang to mind. But credit to them for travelling and singing for 80 mins.

And when one of the "larger" Town forwards dropped a ball, someone in front said "Bet he doesn't drop a burger". 

Edited by Wakefield Ram
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

So, after having a while to digest and reflect upon the game, did we do well?

Maybe I can say that we did better, but in reality that was against a side who allowed us to do so. In the first 20 minutes we were making more ground against them in possession than we had against most other teams. There were gaps in their defence continuously and a couple of our forwards were constantly getting their noses through - perfect for a ball to be laid off to a supporting half back or full back; sadly there was never anyone really supporting. The possession that we did have wasn't used well - our kicking near their line was really woeful and nobody was making a gap; plenty of effort but no finesse.

On the basis of our first half possession and field position we really should have been a score in front at half time.

The second half began much better and when we went 18-6 ahead that was the time to really capitalise. Unfortunately our intensity fell away and our line speed slowed down. It was beginning to look as if that fairly simple kick that Sykes missed in the first half would come back to haunt us, and it nearly did. Full credit however to the spirit and determination in the side and the move for that final score. More relief than elation though, I felt. Two pretty poor sides who, without any significant improvements, will be facing each other next season.

The injury to Beharell was a real blow and it looks like he may well be out for some time. A chance for a youngster to step up to the mark or a real need to conjure up a magical recruitment from out of the blue?

On a final note I felt that the referee had a good game - he didn't nitpick and allowed the players to get on with it without needless whistling.

• Like 2

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

5 minutes ago, Blind side johnny said:

So, after having a while to digest and reflect upon the game, did we do well?

Maybe I can say that we did better, but in reality that was against a side who allowed us to do so. In the first 20 minutes we were making more ground against them in possession than we had against most other teams. There were gaps in their defence continuously and a couple of our forwards were constantly getting their noses through - perfect for a ball to be laid off to a supporting half back or full back; sadly there was never anyone really supporting. The possession that we did have wasn't used well - our kicking near their line was really woeful and nobody was making a gap; plenty of effort but no finesse.

On the basis of our first half possession and field position we really should have been a score in front at half time.

The second half began much better and when we went 18-6 ahead that was the time to really capitalise. Unfortunately our intensity fell away and our line speed slowed down. It was beginning to look as if that fairly simple kick that Sykes missed in the first half would come back to haunt us, and it nearly did. Full credit however to the spirit and determination in the side and the move for that final score. More relief than elation though, I felt. Two pretty poor sides who, without any significant improvements, will be facing each other next season.

The injury to Beharell was a real blow and it looks like he may well be out for some time. A chance for a youngster to step up to the mark or a real need to conjure up a magical recruitment from out of the blue?

On a final note I felt that the referee had a good game - he didn't nitpick and allowed the players to get on with it without needless whistling.

Well chisholm's 2 week loan is up at London... We need to get in quick🤔

5 minutes ago, coolie said:

Well chisholm's 2 week loan is up at London... We need to get in quick🤔

Completely agree .. this is not a game for experimentation!! ... I say get Milnes from HKR for the London game ... a little bit pf creativity will swing this  game in our favour!   Start the experimentation with Sweeting the week after!

3 hours ago, graham fisher said:

Think that's a bit unfair on the player. Leigh did to London what they'll do to the majority of clubs in the championship. 

maybe , but short term loans are not your answer

• Like 1

Just watched highlights.  Hard to work out if Sykes decided in an instant to pass the ball to Knowles for that drop kick or whether it’s a training ground move.   Either way it was class 

we’ve talked about our discipline on here before but Workington must be lamenting theirs.  Two points to us for a daft off the ball push when their guy was heading under the sticks and then the high tackle in the last minute that put us in a position to be able to think about a drop goal🤪

• Like 1