1 hour ago, DavidM said:

I could make a cheap joke there but I’m better than that 

I assume that was a crack about their intelligence. Can`t speak for the rest of them but Geoff Toovey is a winner; driven, intense and smart. 

Just as a measure of that intelligence, Toovey is a certified practicing accountant, which may not sound impressive, given the stereotype, but is not something you achieve without considerable effort and intelligence. 

8 minutes ago, The Rocket said:

I assume that was a crack about their intelligence. Can`t speak for the rest of them but Geoff Toovey is a winner; driven, intense and smart. 

Just as a measure of that intelligence, Toovey is a certified practicing accountant, which may not sound impressive, given the stereotype, but is not something you achieve without considerable effort and intelligence. 

That’s not going to help win rugby matches and I don’t think that coaching team is particularly impressive with the resources Samoa now have  

1 minute ago, DavidM said:

That’s not going to help win rugby matches and I don’t think that coaching team is particularly impressive with the resources Samoa now have  

No that wasn`t my point, it was more just an indicator of his intelligence, made in response to what I gather what was going to be your aspersions insinuating otherwise. Regardless of all that, Toovey is a winner, if he`s out there on the training paddock with Parish, he`s a pretty smart operator to have on your team.

As an interesting aside, I think he has been an NRL employee for several years now, interesting that he`s in on the Samoan team now. That`s not questioning his loyalties, more whether that role brings anything extra to his new role.

8 minutes ago, The Rocket said:

was more just an indicator of his intelligence, made in response to what I gather what was going to be your aspersions insinuating otherwise.

No , purely rugby intelligence in terms of getting this Samoa team to its undoubted potential . They’ve upgraded their playing personnel but not their coaching unit

12 minutes ago, DavidM said:

No , purely rugby intelligence in terms of getting this Samoa team to its undoubted potential . They’ve upgraded their playing personnel but not their coaching unit

2012 First year as first grade coach, preliminary final, lost to Melbourne the eventual winner.

2013 Second year, Grand finalist. 

2014 Manly led for the majority of the competition. Knocked out semi-finals by eventual winners Canterbury Bankstown.

As I said Toovey is intense, I think he`s a bit like Brian Smith, he can`t stay at a place too long because his intensity probably wears on the playing group. But if you want a winner for a short sharp campaign, they could do a lot worse than Geoff Toovey.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, The Rocket said:

2012 First year as first grade coach, preliminary final, lost to Melbourne the eventual winner.

2013 Second year, Grand finalist. 

2014 Manly led for the majority of the competition. Knocked out semi-finals by eventual winners Canterbury Bankstown.

As I said Toovey is intense, I think he`s a bit like Brian Smith, he can`t stay at a place too long because his intensity probably wears on the playing group. But if you want a winner for a short sharp campaign, they could do a lot worse than Geoff Toovey.

He is an assistant coach, not Head coach.

If they'd have got rid of Parish and appointed Toovey then people would probably be happy enough. Instead they have kept the coach that players did not want to play for and who for a number of years has led the games biggest underpeforming international team. They also appoint Agar who has just been sacked from Leeds.

The issue is not Toovey, it's the coaching setup as a whole.

Edited by Damien

7 hours ago, Damien said:

And Parish now stays. He's more lives than a cat. They've even increased their coaching brains trust with the addition of Richard Agar as an assistant. All good news for England if nothing else:

However, the Toa Samoa board has finalised its coaching staff for this year’s internationals and confirmed Parish will remain in the role. His assistants will be Andrew Webster and Richard Agar, joining Geoff Toovey as members of the brains trust.

NRL 2022: Andrew Johns and Matthew Johns out of Samoa coaching roles, Matt Parish to remain (smh.com.au)

This is great news for England.

• Like 1

Too many cooks and the problem man still at the helm.

Nothing against the coaches individually but this hodge-podge and holding on to Parish won't IMO appeal to several key players who haven't been on board.

Hope I'm proved wrong.

• Like 2

• 5 months later...

The big question now is are Samoa done or was this just an example of an underprepared team that will get better?

I'm in two minds. People were making out like they had a chance to win the thing. However, no matter how undercooked Aus or NZ turned up, they'd never lose in that fashion to us. It wasn't a surprise that they lost, but it was that they collapsed.

That said, I felt there was a spell in the second half of the first half where they started to look very dangerous. Had they got on the front foot it might have been very different.

Will they grow into the tournament to the point where they'll be dangerous in the semi-final or did this expose significant flaws?

2 minutes ago, Maximus Decimus said:

The big question now is are Samoa done or was this just an example of an underprepared team that will get better?

I'm in two minds. People were making out like they had a chance to win the thing. However, no matter how undercooked Aus or NZ turned up, they'd never lose in that fashion to us. It wasn't a surprise that they lost, but it was that they collapsed.

That said, I felt there was a spell in the second half of the first half where they started to look very dangerous. Had they got on the front foot it might have been very different.

Will they grow into the tournament to the point where they'll be dangerous in the semi-final or did this expose significant flaws?

After today, I would be seriously ###### off if we ended up going out to them in the semi-final!

37 minutes ago, Pulga said:

So disappointed. The team is full of some of the best players in the world but just didn't click or really even show up.

Frankly it was calamitous and the blame lies squarely with the coach.

Edited by Sports Prophet
  • Like 1