CARLA to prevent amateur players from playing rugby league

In a shocking move by the West Cumberland RL Wath Brow have been informed that any player who plays 4 games for their NCL team  won’t be allowed to play for their CARLA division 1 team,which could leave players who have filled in for injury & the player unavailability that comes with summer rugby unable to play the sport,which is criminal given the sports falling participation numbers.

6 hours ago, Davo5 said:

In a shocking move by the West Cumberland RL Wath Brow have been informed that any player who plays 4 games for their NCL team  won’t be allowed to play for their CARLA division 1 team,which could leave players who have filled in for injury & the player unavailability that comes with summer rugby unable to play the sport,which is criminal given the sports falling participation numbers.

Davo this is incorrect mate it’s long been established that any Cumberland League side that has a 1st and 2nd that any player who has played 5 games for the 1st team is classed as a 1st team player. The rule states you cannot play anymore than 4 players who have played the 5 or more games.

i don’t think any u18s player count under the rule but this is not a rule for NCL players at all

11 hours ago, Cumbria1 said:

Davo this is incorrect mate it’s long been established that any Cumberland League side that has a 1st and 2nd that any player who has played 5 games for the 1st team is classed as a 1st team player. The rule states you cannot play anymore than 4 players who have played the 5 or more games.

i don’t think any u18s player count under the rule but this is not a rule for NCL players at all

It isn’t 

9 minutes ago, Davo5 said:

It isn’t 

It is mate I know for a fact that any any Cumbria team that runs a 1st and 2nd have a rule that they can only play 4 players who have played 5 or more games more the 1st team.

I know the lad who runs the Egremont A team and they follow that rule for years, The same lad also plays missed out on playing in a final few years ago as due to this rule he had been in the 1st team for 6 games all off the bench on away and played more A team games than 1st.  it’s not new and it’s not directed at NCL players, The likes of Elbra, & Cockermouth will also fall under the same rule with there A teams and there not NCL.

6 minutes ago, Impartial Observer said:

I thought this was a long standing rule in this league.

Where are the participant numbers published as I would like to see them?

I know that the lad who runs Egremont A team keeps a log of who has played how many games to ensure this rule is followed. 

This rule is obviously in place to protect none NCL teams being cowboyed, I can see why, it also going to highlight the numbers game or lack of numbers playing at a club, what would be the alternative rule or rules taking in a clubs view from both sides of the coin.

Carlsberg don't do Soldiers, but if they did, they would probably be Brits.

http://www.pitchero....hornemarauders/

5 hours ago, Marauder said:

This rule is obviously in place to protect none NCL teams being cowboyed, I can see why, it also going to highlight the numbers game or lack of numbers playing at a club, what would be the alternative rule or rules taking in a clubs view from both sides of the coin.

It’s not a NCL rule it’s a rule that the Cumbria League have had for years. It stops teams as well filling the A Team with 1st teamer a to say win a cup game or say a league game that could win that team the league or get them into day a top playoff 

On 18/04/2022 at 09:18, Cumbria1 said:

The likes of Elbra, & Cockermouth will also fall under the same rule with there A teams and there not NCL.

Was going to say it's not just NCL clubs who do it, CARLA clubs themselves have started doing it so I'm glad they fall under the same ruling.

The ruling is still flawed as early season a teams can play whoever they want until the first teams are well into the season. I would prefer clubs to name a best 20-25 players start of the season and to be only allowed to play so many of those players in an A team game and clubs with no a team and 30-35 players to be allowed to let lads outside of the top 20-25 allowed to dual register to other clubs to get games played wherever possible

On 18/04/2022 at 14:59, Marauder said:

It is an old BARLA rule. ( rule 24 ). It no longer has relevance as effectively  the only competition still playing under their banner - and thereby subject to their rules - is CARLA.

The rest of the game takes the view that if you sign for a club you can play at any level within it as chosen by the club's coaching staff.

Certainly at NCL level the week on week demands assure the first team of the best players available or a stuffing could be on the cards. Sure a club will occasionally tweak their squad for say a big non NCL fixture but the risks are so great on the dates the first team play that such occasions are rare.

And BARLA's rules allow CARLA to abstain from this rule anyway if their members wanted to.....

5 hours ago, del capo said:

It is an old BARLA rule. ( rule 24 ). It no longer has relevance as effectively  the only competition still playing under their banner - and thereby subject to their rules - is CARLA.

The rest of the game takes the view that if you sign for a club you can play at any level within it as chosen by the club's coaching staff.

Certainly at NCL level the week on week demands assure the first team of the best players available or a stuffing could be on the cards. Sure a club will occasionally tweak their squad for say a big non NCL fixture but the risks are so great on the dates the first team play that such occasions are rare.

And BARLA's rules allow CARLA to abstain from this rule anyway if their members wanted to.....

I know, and as I said, it's to protect none NCL clubs who may have a NCL A team in their division.

11 hours ago, Marauder said:

I know, and as I said, it's to protect none NCL clubs who may have a NCL A team in their division.

They are the only playing league left in the whole country that still sticks to this.

Your own division has 3 NCL reserve sides in it - are you being cowboyed as  the season is being progressed or is everything working fairly ok?

Would you prefer instead all reserves sides to be in a  totally separate competition ?

1 hour ago, del capo said:

They are the only playing league left in the whole country that still sticks to this.

Your own division has 3 NCL reserve sides in it - are you being cowboyed as  the season is being progressed or is everything working fairly ok?

Would you prefer instead all reserves sides to be in a  totally separate competition ?

Because the others are controlled by the RFL and the safety valve has been taken away, you can notice when a clubs NCL team do not have a game and their `A` team does, the results were the NCL stack their `A` with NCL players become a blow out, all within the rules but is it in the nature of the game as it could and does stop none NCL clubs from climbing the ladder.

Are we getting cowboyed, at the moment we have not played any of the `A` teams, the first one was going to be this weekend away at Stanningley, for some reason they couldn't raise a team but offered to play us tonight (22/04/2022) under their floodlights, however we have a good 50% of our team working away (Including myself this week in Kent) for us to have got to their ground for a 7.30pm or 8pm kick off we would have had to set off from Moorends around 4.30pm, we offered to play the game the following week but they are in the divisional cup semi-final.

The difference in standards between NCL `A` teams just wouldn't make for a level and healthy competition and IMO could see `A` teams not fulfilling fixtures, so no I don't want to see NCL `A` teams in one division, they need to be able to climb the ladder like everyone else but as I have said, there has to be protection of some kind for the none NCL clubs.

I know a lot of the NCL clubs don't do the dastardly but some have and do so hindsight should be in place to protect.

2 hours ago, Marauder said:

Because the others are controlled by the RFL and the safety valve has been taken away, you can notice when a clubs NCL team do not have a game and their `A` team does, the results were the NCL stack their `A` with NCL players become a blow out, all within the rules but is it in the nature of the game as it could and does stop none NCL clubs from climbing the ladder.

Are we getting cowboyed, at the moment we have not played any of the `A` teams, the first one was going to be this weekend away at Stanningley, for some reason they couldn't raise a team but offered to play us tonight (22/04/2022) under their floodlights, however we have a good 50% of our team working away (Including myself this week in Kent) for us to have got to their ground for a 7.30pm or 8pm kick off we would have had to set off from Moorends around 4.30pm, we offered to play the game the following week but they are in the divisional cup semi-final.

The difference in standards between NCL `A` teams just wouldn't make for a level and healthy competition and IMO could see `A` teams not fulfilling fixtures, so no I don't want to see NCL `A` teams in one division, they need to be able to climb the ladder like everyone else but as I have said, there has to be protection of some kind for the none NCL clubs.

I know a lot of the NCL clubs don't do the dastardly but some have and do so hindsight should be in place to protect.

When are all these occasions when the NCL teams don’t have matches ?

1 hour ago, Davo5 said:

When are all these occasions when the NCL teams don’t have matches ?

Mid-week, bank holidays an example given to us the other week was Kirkburton 18 v 44 Dewsbury Moor a completely different team to what Kirkburton beat earlier in the season 40 v 12.

When did the NCL games finish last season?

28 minutes ago, Marauder said:

Mid-week, bank holidays an example given to us the other week was Kirkburton 18 v 44 Dewsbury Moor a completely different team to what Kirkburton beat earlier in the season 40 v 12.

The same day as the Cumberland League did.

On 17/04/2022 at 21:36, Cumbria1 said:

Cumbria1, The Cumberland League have fetch a new rule in this season to replace the established one you are talking about, but unsure of what it is in full, 

31 minutes ago, Marauder said:

You should discount last years covid season - it was a one off hopefully never to be repeated.

NCL regular season finishes this year on 3/9 for all divisions and then it's playoffs. Regional Leagues are scheduled to finish 10/9. No gaps for NCL apart from Bank Holidays and 2 or so back up dates.

If NCL ( or other ) clubs offer midweek or holiday fixtures its going to be in an effort to play their reserve players with first team benchwarmers  or Under 18's likely to make up numbers rather the other way round......

Archived