Mon 18th Apr: SL: Hull FC v Warrington Wolves KO 17:30 (Sky)

Who will win?  

20 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• Hull FC
    • Warrington Wolves

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 18/04/22 at 17:00

2 minutes ago, dkw said:

What, don't milk a penalty? He has no one to blame but himself. Just get up, play it and their in a great attacking position.  Amazing to see rl fans ok with play acting and cheating.

In this discussion I don't know or care whether he was trying to milk a penalty. 

My point is that by the laws of the game he played the ball correctly and was penalised for playing it incorrectly.... while almost every other play the ball in this game and this season broke the laws of the game.

• Like 4

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

No way. The only reason he has given that is because the Hull player claimed he had got it down.

Edited by Just Browny

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

2 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

In this discussion I don't know or care whether he was trying to milk a penalty. 

My point is that by the laws of the game he played the ball correctly and was penalised for playing it incorrectly.... while almost every other play the ball in this game and this season broke the laws of the game.

But he didn't, it wasnt anything like a controlled play the ball as he launched himself forward. 

• Like 1

Just now, dkw said:

But he didn't, it wasnt anything like a controlled play the ball as he launched himself forward. 

This is my point.  The laws of the game make no mention of control, that is the interpretation that we now use to allow hundreds of incorrect play the balls and penalise this one.

As I say, if you can show me the laws of the game that were broken there and deserved a penalty, I will hold my hands up and say I am wrong.

• Like 3

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

3 minutes ago, dkw said:

Oh come on, that's ridiculous levels of pedantry. 

Sorry, I am genuinely at a loss to understand your point here.  We are talking about the application of the laws of the game and you say that actually mentioning what the laws do or don't say is pedantry?

On the Mau try, the referee awarded a try on the field and then ask the VR to look for conclusive evidence that it WASN'T grounded correctly, the VR couldn't find any evidence to deny that he had grounded the ball, therefore the try had the stand as the on field ref gave it.

We may not like it, because in effect they both guessed as to whether a try is scored.

For me, unless there is absolute conclusive evidence then a try shouldn't be awarded.

Edited by meast

2 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

Sorry, I am genuinely at a loss to understand your point here.  We are talking about the application of the laws of the game and you say that actually mentioning what the laws do or don't say is pedantry?

It also doesn't specifically say don't milk a penalty, so let's just let that happen too.

We've said it before and will again - this system for the video ref is really truly appalling. The on field ref doesn't know so why give them any say in it?

When they brought it in they managed to change something which wasn't broken and which nobody was calling for. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, dkw said:

He didn't though, you can't play it while falling forward trying to milk a penalty. 

Indeed. It is weird to claim that as a good PTB. I understand the point, but this is the problem with the obsession with studs touching leather. 

People who hate the current PTB would rather see that. 

• Like 1

Just now, M j M said:

We've said it before and will again - this system for the video ref is really truly appalling. The on field ref doesn't know so why give them any say in it?

When they brought it in they managed to change something which wasn't broken and which nobody was calling for. 

I'm not gonna moan about the refereeing, not my style, but this VR system is weird and always has been. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, meast said:

On the Mau try, the referee awarded a try on the field and then ask the VR to look for conclusive evidence that it WASN'T grounded correctly, the VR couldn't find any evidence to deny that he had grounded the ball, therefore the try had the stand as the on field ref gave it.

We may not like it, because in effect they both guessed as to whether a try is scored.

For me, unless there is absolute conclusive evidence then a try shouldn't be awarded.

It was absolutely the correct decision by the VR based on the current processes. 

Edited by Dave T
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, M j M said:

It's really odd isn't it, vr was brought in to assist refs who aren't sure if it's a try, but then they changed it to make a ref who doesn't know if its a try make a decision on if its a try.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, dkw said:

It also doesn't specifically say don't milk a penalty, so let's just let that happen too.

As I have said, I don't know if he was trying to milk a penalty or not - my point is not about that at all.

he was penalised for playing the ball incorrectly.

Let me ask you a simple yes or no question.  According to the laws of the game (not this years interpretations, the actual laws) was this an incorrect play the ball?