Mon 18th Apr: SL: Hull FC v Warrington Wolves KO 17:30 (Sky)

Who will win?  

20 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• Hull FC
    • Warrington Wolves

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 18/04/22 at 17:00

1 hour ago, Harry Stottle said:

Tell me Dave, and I know it is slipping back but what did you think when they purposefully 'Tidied' up the PTB down under I thought - my opinion - that it made for a much better spectacle and was nowhere near as contentious, 2nd part of the question do you think the differing interpretations of the hemispheres will cause problems for both the refs and player's in the WC?

I don't have too much concern about the PTB tbh. But I accept its a major bugbear for some. It's a little like some hate modern scrums, I have no issue with them. 

It could have an impact, but I think that's always the case with a whole range of things. 

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, MZH said:

I think on balance it probably did get held up, but I don't think anyone can say that with any certainty. The ball wasn't too far away from the ground in the bits where we could see it, it's not like it was up on a defenders chest where grounding it would have been impossible. Then the pile moved and you couldn't see it. Maybe it was down, we will never know for sure. I agree that the system is flawed though. I don't mind the on field decision per se. But there should also be an option for the ref to just say I honestly have no idea, just have a look for me please.

Yep, it feels unnecessary, but I expect even in the old system it'd have been given as benefit of the doubt. 

4 hours ago, Old Frightful said:

A fairly entertaining game and a win that was much needed for Hull FC. Too many errors for it to be regarded as a great game but enough twists and turns to keep the viewer interested. Sadly, even with a win, the knives are well and truly out for the coach and certain players on social media.

As for the VR decision that went in our favour, I thought we probably just about deserved it after James Child's imaginary knock on that went against us in the Derby. I know that's scant consolation for the Wire lot but hopefully it's another example of things evening themselves out over a season. Perhaps they'll get the benefit in coming matches.

Looked a pretty poor crowd to me, around 8k if they were lucky, a fair sprinkling of Wire fans, maybe 3 hundred or so, that made a noise all game, credit to them.

Seriously? Glad I don't bother with that ####.

As for the Ma'u try, I've seen it again on the telly since and I think the decision not to overrule the on-field call was the correct one. The defender holds Ma'u up initially but Ma'u drives over the top of him. When you look at where and how his upper body ends up there's pretty much nowhere else the ball could be other than on the ground. Of course, we can never be 100% certain about the grounding but for me the ref was right to send it up as a try and there was insufficient evidence to reverse his call.

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.

20 minutes ago, Ullman said:

Seriously? Glad I don't bother with that ####.

As for the Ma'u try, I've seen it again on the telly since and I think the decision not to overrule the on-field call was the correct one. The defender holds Ma'u up initially but Ma'u drives over the top of him. When you look at where and how his upper body ends up there's pretty much nowhere else the ball could be other than on the ground. Of course, we can never be 100% certain about the grounding but for me the ref was right to send it up as a try and there was insufficient evidence to reverse his call.

i mean you say that, but the first replay they show before it goes to the video ref showed up up off the ground between the two players, and they never used that angle during deliberation process.

2 hours ago, Barry Badrinath said:

i mean you say that, but the first replay they show before it goes to the video ref showed up up off the ground between the two players, and they never used that angle during deliberation process.

I've noticed that seems to happen sometimes. The decision will be made one way or the other after a series of inconclusive replays then they'll show an angle that was much clearer than the ones they used.

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.

11 hours ago, MZH said:

I think on balance it probably did get held up, but I don't think anyone can say that with any certainty. The ball wasn't too far away from the ground in the bits where we could see it, it's not like it was up on a defenders chest where grounding it would have been impossible. Then the pile moved and you couldn't see it. Maybe it was down, we will never know for sure. I agree that the system is flawed though. I don't mind the on field decision per se. But there should also be an option for the ref to just say I honestly have no idea, just have a look for me please.

Agree totally with this.

Archived