Cornwall's first visit to Oldham

Roger and Out

5 hours ago, clifford said:

I went. Was I disappointed slightly. Especially when a couple of waterhead dads said their first team would beat both teams. 

I think that sums where we are in the rugby landscape of oldham.

Good to see Martin Murphy yesterday so that's a plus.

I look at where we are and where I think we should be and that's depressing 

Well if the Waterhead dads said it, who are we to argue ?????????????????

Pleased to hear you were there Cliff, last week you had fallen out of love with the game, that's good to see. 

Edited by Jimmy DoNut
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Times are tough in Oldham on the pro sport front. We all know that. As far as Latics are concerned, it happened at Stockport and something similar happened at Bury. Then there's Derby County, Macclesfield and no doubt lots of others whom I don't know about. It's not just an Oldham thing and it's certainly not just a rugby league thing. You've only to look at the number of former Football League clubs who have been relegated to what we used to call non-league football and you'll see what I mean.

Clifford, as far as Roughyeds are concerned, we would all like to be further up the pecking order, but we are where we are and we either give up the ghost or we strive to get better. CH and his helpers/volunteers etc, not to mention all the diehard fans like yourself who turn up to support us at matches, are working like hell for the club, first of all to keep us going (something, with all due respect, we didn't manage in 1997) and if possible to see us advance and get stronger.

I don 't want to get involved with "the town is knackered" argument or whether Waterhead would beat Oldham or Oldham would beat Waterhead. We'll never know and in any event it's irrelevant. As Oldham-area rugby league fans we surely want all the amateur teams in town to be the best they can be just like we want Roughyeds to be the best we can be.

The world is changing. Society is changing. Sport is changing too -- and so is the amount of disposable income individuals have in their pockets, to say nothing of how all business is feeling the pinch. It's tough for everyone, but that's all the more reason why we've to fight and scrap like hell for what we believe in. In our case that's Oldham RLFC. 

Let's ALL stand up for Rugby League and, more closely to home, for the Oldham club. We lost it in '97 and we've now seen Latics slip out of the Football League. Enough evidence there, surely, to show that if you don't use it you lose it. None of us wants to see that happen again. 

• Like 7

There is more to it than use it or lose it though.

Oldham Athletic have traditionally had reasonable crowds, certainly more than Rochdale and that lot that makes black puddings.

In Oldham Athletic’s case its more to do with failed ownership and that is common to some of the other failures mentioned (the black puddings for example).

In Rochdale Hornets case you currently have the problem that fans cannot ‘use it’ because of unexplained capacity restrictions.  Another example of ownership problems maybe?

• Like 3

Stats-

Restall-3 tackles. one miss. 8 tackle busts. 2 clean breaks. one try assist. 15 carries=114m

Copland-3 tackles. one offload. one tackle bust. 2 clean breaks. 9 carries=77m

Carr-14 tackles. one miss. one offload. 3 tackle busts. 11 carries=69m

Morgan-10 tackles. one offload. 3 tackle busts. one clean break. one try assist. 15 carries=114m

Cooke-6 tackles. 3 tackle busts. one clean break. 13 carries=124m

Ridyard-22 tackles. 2 misses. 4 tackle busts. one clean break. 2 try assists. 9 carries=101m

Astley-7 tackles. one miss. 12 tackle busts. 3 clean breaks. 2 try assists. 12 carries=96m

Nelmes-21 tackles. one clean break. 17 carries=105m

Forber-25 tackles. one miss. 2 tackle busts. 2 clean breaks. one try assist. 4 carries=33m

Spencer-20 tackles. 2 misses. one offload. 2 tackle busts. 15 carries=79m

Windrow-24 tackles. 2 misses.5 carries=37m

Ferry-15 tackles. 2 misses. 2 tackle busts. 5 carries=21m

Whittel-20 tackles. one tackle bust. 13 carries=117m

subs

Hewitt-2 tackles. 2 misses. one tackle bust. 3 carries=14m

Jinks-15 tackles. one offload. one tackle bust. 57m

Andrade-21 tackles. one miss. 6 tackle busts. 15 carries=113m

Thornton-14 tackles. one miss. one offload. 5 tackle busts. 11 carries=78m

Will catch up with the other games over the next week or so

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1