Guardian drugs article

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2022/apr/18/theres-help-in-place-does-rugby-league-have-a-drugs-problem?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=news_tab

player I’ve hardly heard of claiming drugs is the norm. Guardian trying to stick the boot in  after positives from over 600 tests. Union has 18, 3 times as many so why not start the article with “has union got a drugs problem “ 

34 minutes ago, Live after death said:

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2022/apr/18/theres-help-in-place-does-rugby-league-have-a-drugs-problem?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=news_tab

player I’ve hardly heard of claiming drugs is the norm. Guardian trying to stick the boot in  after positives from over 600 tests. Union has 18, 3 times as many so why not start the article with “has union got a drugs problem “ 

Does anyone still read The Guardian? 

4 minutes ago, Live after death said:

I saw it as a link from another story. 

They did however have a cracking gig review of the band Ghost at Manchester arena though, which I didn’t think would be their demographic.

You hardly know of Jamie Acton? he had many exclusives on this site not all for the right reasons though.

Secondly, who the fish are Ghost, let me guess it is another of those groups who play music specifically for "the hard of thinking"

1 hour ago, Harry Stottle said:

You hardly know of Jamie Acton? he had many exclusives on this site not all for the right reasons though.

Secondly, who the fish are Ghost, let me guess it is another of those groups who play music specifically for "the hard of thinking"

Along the lines of a Modern Day Alice Cooper, Kiss type theatrical hardrock/Metal band, and become quite massive internationally last 4-5 years

7 hours ago, Live after death said:

Jamie Acton spent the majority of his career at Leigh (2014-2018) you’ve got to think this is the club he’s referring to, he can’t comment on what goes on at clubs he’s never played at, how would he know?

I have to say I value and believe Kevin Brown far more than Jamie Acton

“I’m absolutely sure there is the odd person risking their career and doing it because they feel a lack of confidence or they’re not where they want to be physically,” the former England international Kevin Brown says. “But as far as it being widespread, having played in Super League for so long, I’d say that’s not true. We get tested so much, you’d have to spend so much on drugs that escape the system. I’ve played at a lot of clubs. I’ve not seen it. I would have heard a lot more about it.”

Disgusting propaganda.

Acton surely must realise on some level that he's being played and used. Even the image they use of him with what looks like two black eyes is surely selected to project an image of thuggish, yobbish violence.

The same type of article appeared here in France a couple of days ago in the equipe magazine, does rugby have a cocaine problem, big photo of James Maloney half a page and not a word about the union players that have tested positive, 

11 hours ago, The Future is League said:

The Guardian's targeted readership is educated left wingers, not blue collar workers, hence why it prefers Union over Rugby League

So what was the Sun's excuse when they ran the same story three months ago?

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

You've got to laugh he say's 

he had taken drugs throughout his career.

ALL I can say  jamie  lad you got ripped off they did nowt for you 

10 minutes ago, POR said:

You've got to laugh he say's 

he had taken drugs throughout his career.

ALL I can say  jamie  lad you got ripped off they did nowt for you 

Imagine how bad he’d of been without performance enhancing drugs, league one at best. Some athletes clearly get away with it long term (Lance Armstrong for example) but they’re playing Russian roulette on getting caught. I’d be interested to know how many times a player is typically tested throughout their career.

12 hours ago, The Future is League said:

The Guardian's targeted readership is educated left wingers, not blue collar workers, hence why it prefers Union over Rugby League

Nowt to do with the left wing bit, just the educated. For all its faults, the Guardian still carries more league coverage than the Telegraph or the Times these days, substantially more when you include NRL stories from its Australian site. 

21 hours ago, David Shepherd said:

Does anyone still read The Guardian? 

It really is the pits these days 

Any semblance of balanced journalism went long ago. The article about David Cameron's 'priviliged pain' over his young son's death was the moment I refused to ever engage with it again 

It is the left wing equivalent of the Mail, -bias and one eyed provocative horse s***

31 minutes ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

It really is the pits these days 

Any semblance of balanced journalism went long ago. The article about David Cameron's 'priviliged pain' over his young son's death was the moment I refused to ever engage with it again 

It is the left wing equivalent of the Mail, -bias and one eyed provocative horse s***

Sorry couldnt quite work out the answer to the question... do you still read it then or not? :kolobok_ph34r:

2 hours ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

Imagine how bad he’d of been without performance enhancing drugs, league one at best. Some athletes clearly get away with it long term (Lance Armstrong for example) but they’re playing Russian roulette on getting caught. I’d be interested to know how many times a player is typically tested throughout their career.

Its the typical "everyone is on it" line that makes these people sleep ok at night.. its utter tosh. the vast majority do not take it, some do and go "ok" but most dont.. the fact you are only "ok" and are taking it should tell you everything you need to know, especially in a sport where skill level is needed (something the drugs wont give you).

On the substance (geddit) of the article, I thought once you got past the clickbait headline and lead, it was a well reported piece that left you with a pretty clear answer that no, rugby league doesn't have a worse performance enhancing drugs problem than any other sport. Testing works. But recreational drugs are potentially as present as in wider society, and for a sport that's still quite close to its roots that's something to keep an eye on. 

Archived