Lewis Dodd out for the season

Terrible news for him, but he's young enough to bounce back. And if it takes longer than expected, I'm sure Jonny Lomax can have a word with him about how a run of injuries doesn't necessarily mean the end.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Made a marked difference to the way Saints played when he came into the team for Fages last season and hasn't disappointed. Absolutely gutted for the lad, even more so with it being a World Cup year and him playing so well.

Seems to have a good head on him and with Lomax, as Futtocks mentions, he's got a perfect role model in how to come back strong from serious injury.

23 minutes ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

It’s a real shame for him, but there’s no way he’d of played for England this year. Hopefully he makes a full recovery. 

Really,who are the quality in form halves in front of him ?

Terrible news for him but if I remember correctly he made his own way off the field... I am holding on to that as something positive when a lot of other achilles injuries see a player leave on a stretcher or in huge pain.

That's not to suggest that it isn't serious of course and I hope he has a full and speedy recovery. 

As for England.  Yes, he would have been right in the mix... the form half in Super League no doubt.  But he has a decade to excel for England touch wood.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

32 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

Terrible news for him but if I remember correctly he made his own way off the field... I am holding on to that as something positive when a lot of other achilles injuries see a player leave on a stretcher or in huge pain.

That's not to suggest that it isn't serious of course and I hope he has a full and speedy recovery. 

As for England.  Yes, he would have been right in the mix... the form half in Super League no doubt.  But he has a decade to excel for England touch wood.

Even though it’s tough for him getting such a long term injury at his age. The good news is it wasn’t a complete tear and a very small part of his Achilles is still attached. Which is why his recovery is down to 6/7 months. A complete tear would’ve added another 5-6 months on top. 

Dodd came in after Fages' injury last year and not only did a job but arguably improved us. He was incredibly composed in the Grand Final for a 19 year old.

Gutted for him, he's become such a key figure in our team so quickly.

The choice now is whether to move Welsby or Roby to cover as there is no academy prospect ready.

5 minutes ago, Chris22 said:

Dodd came in after Fages' injury last year and not only did a job but arguably improved us. He was incredibly composed in the Grand Final for a 19 year old.

Gutted for him, he's become such a key figure in our team so quickly.

The choice now is whether to move Welsby or Roby to cover as there is no academy prospect ready.

In the article, Woolf pointed out that Will Hopoate has won a test against Australia at 1 and played 150 games in the NRL at fullback. I think he will go with Welsby in the halves and Hopoate at the back... but he may experiment with a few combinations and see what works.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

Big shame. Never like hearing about such a serious injury. The lad looks set on being first choice England HB. He will be back stronger - certainly hope he is. 

8 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

In the article, Woolf pointed out that Will Hopoate has won a test against Australia at 1 and played 150 games in the NRL at fullback. I think he will go with Welsby in the halves and Hopoate at the back... but he may experiment with a few combinations and see what works.

I agree. Hopoate is accomplished at full back as long as we can get him on the field regularly.

As we've given Welsby the #1 jersey, I'd rather not move him to half back but it seems the best option.

Heartbreaking news. He's been going so well and making Saints even more threatening. I was hoping he'd make it into the England team for the end of the year. Such horrible luck for an in-form talent who's started his career so brightly.

Wishing him well in his recovery and long road back.

Archived