The long drawn out saga of leeds new head coach

So hetherington had a nice trip down under. 

Nice work if you can get it. 

It all seems so long and drawn out with very little direction or leadership. 

We do tend to suffer from this in rugby league

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, The storm said:

So hetherington had a nice trip down under. 

Nice work if you can get it. 

It all seems so long and drawn out with very little direction or leadership. 

We do tend to suffer from this in rugby league

I think this is a big appointment for Leeds, with the greatest of respect I don’t think the last couple of appointments have been the right person for the club at that time. Surely better for Leeds to take their time and get the right person.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Cardypaul said:

I think this is a big appointment for Leeds, with the greatest of respect I don’t think the last couple of appointments have been the right person for the club at that time. Surely better for Leeds to take their time and get the right person.

you are right of course but fans always complain whomever is put in place.  Even McDermott had many distractors when first appointed and he didn't do too badly.  Some fans often just like to moan at any transaction or appointment...

I'd like to see the OP recruit someone for any very senior role, potentially from the other side of the world and probably under contract, in less than a month.

Edited by M j M

22 minutes ago, redjonn said:

you are right of course but fans always complain whomever is put in place.  Even McDermott had many distractors when first appointed and he didn't do too badly.  Some fans often just like to moan at any transaction or appointment...

Yeah I’m not a Leeds fan so it doesn’t really matter to me but shame to see them struggling 

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, M j M said:

I'd like to see the OP recruit someone for any very senior role, potentially from the other side of the world and probably under contract, in less than a month.

For a comparison which paints RL in a good light, have a look at the England (and Wales) Cricket Board's search for a leader for their men's structure for which they searched near and nearer and have simply ended up hiring the loudest voice from Sky.

It'd be like Leeds appointing Barrie McDermott.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

6 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

For a comparison which paints RL in a good light, have a look at the England (and Wales) Cricket Board's search for a leader for their men's structure for which they searched near and nearer and have simply ended up hiring the loudest voice from Sky.

It'd be like Leeds appointing Barrie McDermott.

Or even Jamie Jones-Buchanan. McDermott would be good news for youngJack Walker's prospects though.

Joking aside, who are the names in the frame? I wouldn't have thought it was the time to panic quite yet; as mentioned above it is a big decision they will have to live with for a few years.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

Seen somewhere that Hetherington was at the York game on Saturday night. Don't think York or Leeds fans would be happy if Ford was appointed. Can't see it personally but given he was there can't rule anything out.

The new coach for Leeds will give a statement of what they want to be. 

Bizarre thread.

a Month isn't really long or drawn out to appoint someone at this level.

People are also forgetting Agar wasn't sacked which makes a difference.

One thing I can guarantee though is whoever is appointed, there are a section of Leeds fans who will write them off before a game is played under them.

There was a thread running on RLfans calling for Mcdermotts head literally from the first month he joined until the last month.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Just Browny said:

Or even Jamie Jones-Buchanan. McDermott would be good news for youngJack Walker's prospects though.

Joking aside, who are the names in the frame? I wouldn't have thought it was the time to panic quite yet; as mentioned above it is a big decision they will have to live with for a few years.

I think it will be Ryan Carr.

2 hours ago, Cardypaul said:

get the right person.

Oh, go on then. If they must, they must.🙂🙂

17 minutes ago, Cardypaul said:

That would be an excellent appointment did really well the season he was at Fev.

With no disrespect to Fev the Leeds job is a large step up and with the issues they are facing an even larger step. Ideally they need someone who is very experienced but still enthusiastic and prepared for the long haul 

• Like 1

Whoever gets appointed and the rumour mill has been very quiet since Hetherington’s trip it is likely to be the rest of this season and probably at least the next two afterwards to fully turnaround the club due to the quality of the current squad compared to the top ones in SL

1 hour ago, LeeF said:

With no disrespect to Fev the Leeds job is a large step up and with the issues they are facing an even larger step. Ideally they need someone who is very experienced but still enthusiastic and prepared for the long haul 

Agreed SL is a big step up from the championship but when he came to Fev there wasn’t enough players for a team, he quickly assembled one which got to the grand final. Most impressive was the way he got them playing with a lot of people saying they played same style as NRL teams. Since he went back to Australia he has been on the coaching staff with NRL club so to be honest I think he has what’s needed. But as I said don’t make any difference to me.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Cardypaul said:

Agreed SL is a big step up from the championship but when he came to Fev there wasn’t enough players for a team, he quickly assembled one which got to the grand final. Most impressive was the way he got them playing with a lot of people saying they played same style as NRL teams. Since he went back to Australia he has been on the coaching staff with NRL club so to be honest I think he has what’s needed. But as I said don’t make any difference to me.

Ryan Carr is who i want us to get. 

latest rumour is Paul Green - that would be a top appointment imo!

Stuart Pyke reeled some names off. One was Rohan Smith, Brian's lad. He coached at the bulls and think left after another financial meltdown at the bulls, with us employing Lowe's I think.

He brought Keiron Moss, Chisholm and Keyes to us amongst others. I'd have him back at Bradford.

• Like 1

Like poor jokes? Thejoketeller@mullymessiah

1 minute ago, Mumby Magic said:

Stuart Pyke reeled some names off. One was Rohan Smith, Brian's lad. He coached at the bulls and think left after another financial meltdown at the bulls, with us employing Lowe's I think.

He brought Keiron Moss, Chisholm and Keyes to us amongst others. I'd have him back at Bradford.

I've seen Rohan mentioned today too. Matt Shaw said he was informed Rohan was going to Leeds mere minutes before his Uncle announced he himself would be leaving KR at the end of the season.