The forum and posting attitudes

• ckn pinned this topic

1 hour ago, RoyBoy295 said:

Great in principle, cant really encourage harmony here or on the other RL site if the trolls, and multiple accounts are still free to roam on these sites.

We don't tolerate trolling or people who try to use multiple accounts, and both those things are and always have been against the terms & conditions of use on here.

But we do rely on forum members actively reporting problems when they find them, so we can look into them and deal with them as necessary at the time.

If you spot a problem, or suspect an account may not be genuine, report it.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Mumby Magic said:

I don't get it. I know it's a discussion forum and a majority of that is based on opinions but some don't know when to stop.

I think alcohol may play a role in many posts.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

It boils down to whether it is opinion or abuse. Abuse should not be tolerated and should be dealt with accordingly. Now opinion on the other hand! I leave you with that son of Oldham and all round egg head Prof Brian Cox. " The problem with today's world is that everyone believes they have the right to express their opinion AND have others listen to it.

The correct statement of individual rights is that everyone has a right to an opinion, but crucially, that opinion can be roundly ignored and even made fun of, particularly if it is demonstrably nonsense". 

And to be honest there is a lot of "demonstrable nonsense" on some of these forums.

Edited by The Art of Hand and Foot
  • Like 4

59 minutes ago, The Art of Hand and Foot said:

It boils down to whether it is opinion or abuse. Abuse should not be tolerated and should be dealt with accordingly. Now opinion on the other hand! I leave you with that son of Oldham and all round egg head Prof Brian Cox. " The problem with today's world is that everyone believes they have the right to express their opinion AND have others listen to it.

The correct statement of individual rights is that everyone has a right to an opinion, but crucially, that opinion can be roundly ignored and even made fun of, particularly if it is demonstrably nonsense". 

And to be honest there is a lot of "demonstrable nonsense" on some of these forums.

That's why I use the pub lounge analogy. You don't mind the people whose drunken opinions are about as one eyed as a Wigan fan watching their team's passes. That's fine, people get along and the bar steward has no tolerance really for those who turn it from harmless opinion to abuse.

The forum's quite big, if people want to post harmless one-eyed on-topic bilge then that's fine. People can "ignore" them at their ease. No-one forces folk to read all the posts or threads.

When people start getting abusive though then I'll happily boot them. Some very long-standing forum members no longer post as they thought they were immune from moderation because of their "seniority".

Some folk who were formerly banned came back, sorted their attitude and operate under an intolerant amnesty. Those folk... some are pushing the line again and may find themselves booted again.

• Sad 1

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

8 hours ago, The Art of Hand and Foot said:

As this post ably demonstrates 😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

12 hours ago, ckn said:

You don't mind the people whose drunken opinions are about as one eyed as a Wigan fan watching their team's passes.

Don't you go upsetting the WDL.

Hull FC....The Sons of God...
                                                                     (Well, we are about to be crucified on Good Friday)

1 hour ago, Old Frightful said:

Don't you go upsetting the WDL.

Here's one then ... it was not a voluntary tackle.

• Haha 2

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

Give a little whistle,
Give a little whistle!
And always let your conscience be your guide!
And always let your conscience be your guide!.

My posting advice? Write your post, leave it for 30 seconds, reflect on it and then edit it. Then and only then, post it.

Who knows? One day I might even take my own advice. 😀

Edited by JohnM
  • Like 1

Loads of very good pieces of advice on  here.

I don't post loads to be fair as I prefer to read posters  and  their opinions. 

Some posts I agree with some not.I think that is the joy of having a site that a person can express their views in a relaxing and natural way.

When this pan boils over into personal attacks for marginalising a person/ persons, then sanctions should be swift.

I am a regular on a Springsteen site ,and thank god the moderators do not tolerate abusive or marginalising views. Anyone who wishes to become a bad apple ìs blocked.

I love this site as there are so many posters from so many clubs.

As a Leigh fan I nearly always agree with comments posted on here .I think that's called listening to other people's views. It's brilliant to read a posters views through opionion and sometimes rationale.

As a retired Police officer, I know when keyboard warriors post without reading or editing..Court usually follows not long after..

Yes,some comments can raise an eyebrow and the moderators have a duty of care to ALL who post and in my view do a blooming grest job.

Brian...

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 22/04/2022 at 00:19, ckn said:

Here's one then ... it was not a voluntary tackle.

Of course it was, you ****.

I rarely come on here, these days, having been a daily visitor and poster for years and years.

Part of this is about slowly falling out of love with the sport - I'm still bitter about what happened to Bradford (from various owners and the RFL) and there's been minimal international football to supplement my interest.

So, when I do come back here, it's full of angry strangers. The posters from my day have mostly moved on - with a few very honourable exceptions.

It just seems to have reduced to the same few people having the same few petty arguments.

Perhaps it was always the same and it was just more fun when you were inside the tent.

I feel like a newbie, these days, and it doesn't feel very welcoming.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

People called Romans they go the house

27 minutes ago, MrPosh said:

So, when I do come back here, it's full of angry strangers.

The world is an angry place right now, opinions, when different, mean the anger comes to the fore. The idea is that a bit like driving, it's everyone else's fault and problem. That is at the heart of it all.

Some roles in this are well disguised and seemingly avoid sounding angry or horrible but they are just as full of vitriol.

Edited by Oxford
  • Like 1

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

26 minutes ago, MrPosh said:

Sord orf then! 😜

• Haha 1
                                                                     Hull FC....The Sons of God...
                                                                     (Well, we are about to be crucified on Good Friday)

1 hour ago, MrPosh said:

It just seems to have reduced to the same few people having the same few petty arguments.

Perhaps it was always the same and it was just more fun when you were inside the tent.

It was always like this years ago, me and a mate stopped using this forum for ages as the clique on it was ridiculous, there were 4 or 5 posters who "policed" it and piled in on anyone not in their gang. 

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, MrPosh said:

Of course it was, you ****.

I rarely come on here, these days, having been a daily visitor and poster for years and years.

Part of this is about slowly falling out of love with the sport - I'm still bitter about what happened to Bradford (from various owners and the RFL) and there's been minimal international football to supplement my interest.

So, when I do come back here, it's full of angry strangers. The posters from my day have mostly moved on - with a few very honourable exceptions.

To be honest, but for the people I know from here, I’m not sure I’d come back as often as I do. Too many idiot decisions in the rugby league world that make it all about a few narrow interests rather than the sport as a whole.

Rugby league is a hard sport to love at times. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

TGG is the girlfriend you're in and out of love with

"When I think of all the times I tried so hard to leave her,

She would turn to me and start to cry ...."

My favourite verse of this song.

As an aging population we are always in danger of being certain about everyting and losing interest in everything. Being old and tired can be a bit of a b*gger. So I'm told!

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Oxford said:

TGG is the girlfriend you're in and out of love with

"When I think of all the times I tried so hard to leave her,

She would turn to me and start to cry ...."

My favourite verse of this song.

As an aging population we are always in danger of being certain about everyting and losing interest in everything. Being old and tired can be a bit of a b*gger. So I'm told!

I think you've got to accept your fallibility.

I made a mistake once. 

2 hours ago, fighting irish said:

I think you've got to accept your fallibility.

I made a mistake once. 

Hello fighting,

Not sure what you mean here to be honest.

But is this even close....?