The forum and posting attitudes

On 21/04/2022 at 00:26, RoyBoy295 said:

Great in principle, cant really encourage harmony here or on the other RL site if the trolls, and multiple accounts are still free to roam on these sites.

The problem with this place isn't trolls, there're very few genuine trolls on this site.

The problem with this place is that a lot of people on here seem to believe that anybody that presents an idea or piece of information that challenges their preconceived notions is a troll by default, and that gives them the right to try and bully them off the site.

That leads to fights and a lack of civility, which leads to a bad atmosphere.

In other words, if you want to fix the atmosphere problem you need to crackdown on the people who add absolutely nothing to a discussion except to insult or mock other people.

Edited by The Great Dane
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Oxford said:

Hello fighting,

Not sure what you mean here to be honest.

But is this even close....?

I don't even know what I meant, my old mate.

I was agreeing that as I get older I'm (foolishly) more certain that I know how the world works and that belief, can (tend to) make me more argumentative.

My confession that I once made a mistake (a long time ago), was meant to be subtly humorous, (not really a statement of fact).

Even I'm not that arrogant.

At the bottom of it was a simple desire to say hello to you (and to try to make you laugh). I'm glad you've re-appeared.

I've missed you.

I loved the short vid/song. I hope to be that lucky, in spite of myself.

I rejoice in the fact that we are not the same, that we are all unique, although (most) people spend so much time trying to blend in, you can easily forget that fact.

Please keep sending your (unique) stuff? You lift my spirits.  

Edited by fighting irish
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, fighting irish said:

I don't even know what I meant, my old mate.

I was agreeing that as I get older I'm (foolishly) more certain that I know how the world works and that belief, can (tend to) make me more argumentative.

My confession that I once made a mistake (a long time ago), was meant to be subtly humorous, (not really a statement of fact).

Even I'm not that arrogant.

At the bottom of it was a simple desire to say hello to you (and to try to make you laugh). I'm glad you've re-appeared.

I've missed you.

I loved the short vid/song. I hope to be that lucky, in spite of myself.

I rejoice in the fact that we are not the same, that we are all unique, although (most) people spend so much time trying to blend in, you can easily forget that fact.

Please keep sending your (unique) stuff? You lift my spirits.  

I really apreciated your comments this time and in the past.

Forum attitudes and posts were/are never a problem even the undetected questionable stuff.

My point about driving was that we're all pretty bad, of course, but also that we forget that, on the whole, we follow the rules pretty well and remain helpful and polite ...... most of the time. And it's when we forget this that the trouble starts and sometimes the referee doesn't/hasn't helped. This is not to bash anyone at all it's just a statement.

The french game reminded me why I love RL and the SRD loss at Wigan reminded me of why it's TGG.

All the best

• Like 1

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

13 hours ago, The Great Dane said:

The problem with this place isn't trolls, there're very few genuine trolls on this site.

The problem with this place is that a lot of people on here seem to believe that anybody that presents an idea or piece of information that challenges their preconceived notions is a troll by default, and that gives them the right to try and bully them off the site.

That leads to fights and a lack of civility, which leads to a bad atmosphere.

In other words, if you want to fix the atmosphere problem you need to crackdown on the people who add absolutely nothing to a discussion except to insult or mock other people.

Well said 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, The Great Dane said:

Report such incidents when they happen, and they will be dealt with.

There are only two of us to moderate this site, and we don't see everything, not even a fraction of everything. If no one bothers to report a problem, it will most likely not be seen by us.

We rely on forum members to flag up problems if/when they see them.

Everyone on here is collectively responsible for the kind of environment it turns out to be.

Thanks.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, The Blues Ox said:

@John Drake Could we get a championship thread for this week please? Feel free to delete this post. Thanks.

You could always start one.

• Like 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

I like coming on here but do get frustrated that some can't stop getting political digs in, as if part of a group that believe constant reinforcement will influence although ironic as they think the other side do the same. They can not see themselves as the same.

Their are political threads for those comments and that's fine if I want to join in. Not on other non related threads. It just makes me not want to come on this forum at all which is a pity.

1 hour ago, redjonn said:

I like coming on here but do get frustrated that some can't stop getting political digs in, as if part of a group that believe constant reinforcement will influence although ironic as they think the other side do the same. They can not see themselves as the same.

Their are political threads for those comments and that's fine if I want to join in. Not on other non related threads. It just makes me not want to come on this forum at all which is a pity.

Again, as explained above, this kind of stuff needs reporting when it happens, so we can deal with it at the time.

We have a dedicated politics sub forum on TRL, for the primary purpose of ensuring we can keep politics out of the rugby league sections.

Thanks.

19 minutes ago, John Drake said:

Again, as explained above, this kind of stuff needs reporting when it happens, so we can deal with it at the time.

We have a dedicated politics sub forum on TRL, for the primary purpose of ensuring we can keep politics out of the rugby league sections.

Thanks.

thanks for the reply John... Yep I generally keep away from the main politics forums.  Although occasionally I stray and reinforce why I keep away from that sub forum as it can be obnoxious towards some political figures or commentators.

Anyway I appreciate your reply and I know you all strive to keep the forum as civil as possible.

I do think you all do a good job in trying to keep it as such.

• Thanks 2

3 hours ago, HKR AWAY DAYS said:

You've got to fight,

For your right,

To paaaaaartake...

"I never felt magic crazy as this
I never saw moons knew the meaning of the sea
I never held emotion in the palm of my hand
Or felt sweet breezes in the top of a tree
But now you're here
Brighten my northern sky"

Worrying about what people say on Social Media .... mmmmmmmm

It is interesting that this has become a "used to be" thread because  some posters seem to find neccessary to jump into personal if slightly disguised posts.

These are not, on the face of it, too terrible but are far too often the resort of some posters, and display if nothing else a lack of respect.

9 minutes ago, Ackroman said:

This forum is like a rural parish council.......

You have no authority here Ackroman.

• Haha 2

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

On 07/05/2022 at 14:14, Ackroman said:

This forum is like a rural parish council.......

Having been a councillor on one, I can only agree. It’s actually quite a good comparison for all the positive reasons. 

Generally great stuff, and rewarding. But occasionally one of the members will get a swivel eyed look on their face and go off on a rant no-one can understand. Usually a quick shuffle on to the next item and hope everyone else does the same without engaging. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

I sometimes go off topic on stuff but i am like that in real life.Our young un can be talking about something and i bring something i have done into the conversation.He says dad why is it always about you.99% of posters are behind the game and just want to see us improve our management and marketing from the top.As entertainment there is not much wrong with our great game.I started watching in 1955 and am still going to games .You can watch on TV but live games are different class.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, sentoffagain2 said:

I sometimes go off topic on stuff but i am like that in real life.Our young un can be talking about something and i bring something i have done into the conversation.He says dad why is it always about you.99% of posters are behind the game and just want to see us improve our management and marketing from the top.As entertainment there is not much wrong with our great game.I started watching in 1955 and am still going to games .You can watch on TV but live games are different class.

Losing sight of the important stuff is the social media way!

11 hours ago, ckn said:

Having been a councillor on one, I can only agree. It’s actually quite a good comparison for all the positive reasons. 

Generally great stuff, and rewarding. But occasionally one of the members will get a swivel eyed look on their face and go off on a rant no-one can understand. Usually a quick shuffle on to the next item and hope everyone else does the same without engaging. 

This post just tickled me pink.

Keep up the good work?!

• Like 1

On 08/05/2022 at 22:58, ckn said:

There`s a lot of unhappy former members of tin-pot local councils. Swivel-eyed, foaming at the mouth, steam coming out of their ears.

Perhaps council meetings should be held in a lounge bar.