Sunday games on tv

3 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Village sport for local people

And, eventually, not even that.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

I particularly love Sunday afternoon games.

3pm on a Sunday is my favourite slot to watch a game on TV. When the sun's out and there's a good crowd, it just makes the sport look more alive and kicking. I would like for Sky to do away with Thursday nights and have Friday nights and Sunday afternoons as their two televised games.

Edited by StandOffHalf

17 hours ago, DimmestStar said:

Even SKY wouldn't demand a Thursday game after the Easter weekend so that is why the TV games are Friday and Sunday this week.

That explains why sky don’t have a game on Thursday. But Sky have shown plenty of Saturday games in the past, I can’t recall Sky having games on a Sunday before other than for magic weekend.

Your point doesn’t explain why channel 4 have moved from Saturday to Sunday, I think Sunday 1pm would be a better regular time slot for channel 4, hopefully it’s a success.

37 minutes ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

That explains why sky don’t have a game on Thursday. But Sky have shown plenty of Saturday games in the past, I can’t recall Sky having games on a Sunday before other than for magic weekend.

Your point doesn’t explain why channel 4 have moved from Saturday to Sunday, I think Sunday 1pm would be a better regular time slot for channel 4, hopefully it’s a success.

You are most probably too young to remember, but in the early days of satellite TV, there was a regular Sunday spot around 18.00, ask @Tommygilfhe will remember😛

Edited by Harry Stottle

17 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

All games should be Sunday Afternoon, preceded by the Academies (are you listening RFL) and the reserves, yes a pipedream but stadium attendances would increase considerably and in all probability season ticket sales would be on the rise if people knew that regular Sunday's was RL day.

What's the evidence for these assertions?

What level of increased revenue would there be from this considerable increase in stadium attendances?

What would be the effect on the sport from the loss of Sky revenue?

Have you discussed this yet with Harry Gration and Keith Macklin?

1 minute ago, JohnM said:

What's the evidence for these assertions?

What level of increased revenue would there be from this considerable increase in stadium attendances?

What would be the effect on the sport from the loss of Sky revenue?

Have you discussed this yet with Harry Gration and Keith Macklin?

If it was tried it would either prove me right or wrong.

Don't know

Don't  know

Just proves you are an old git like me

PS what is your preferred match time and day when you attend John, why, and do you think that suits more people than if it was a regular Sunday slot.

Harry's comments transport me back in time - to a time before I was born.

I really like the sentiment around fans of a club settling on a weekly time and the potential for a more bustling atmosphere at the ground and more sense of community. I do think there is something - however whimsical and rose-tinted it might be - in his take on scheduling.

However, the broadcasters call the shots. The old days have (sadly?) gone.

2 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

If it was tried it would either prove me right or wrong.

Don't know

Don't  know

Just proves you are an old git like me

PS what is your preferred match time and day when you attend John, why, and do you think that suits more people than if it was a regular Sunday slot.

Well, an old git certainly.😀

Sat afternoon would suit me. Couple of pints (well, i was only just turned 16) in The White Lion then toddle off to Station Road.

That was then,  though. Now, almost 60 years later,  it's a different world.  I live 160 miles from Wigan, I'm 75, have other interests and with tv coverage now, i can shoehorn in some motorcycling, SL and NRL,on Sky etc, some caravaning trips and more. 

but having all clubs kick off Saturday afternoon would in my opinion, severely reduce or even eliminate TV income.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 19/04/2022 at 19:29, Harry Stottle said:

Don't be soft Juggy, watching the 17 year olds ior the reserves is an addition for those who would want to go to the game to watch it, the main attraction is the top of the bill as well you know.

Used to love watching the pre games at Ealing before the main event....some great sunny memories.....lengthened the time for a beer and chat before the big one

On 19/04/2022 at 18:52, Harry Stottle said:

Maybe for you living in Hastings and for that reason I can see why you look to find a way to reject it, but for those who find regular live RL as the best way to watch the game it would most definitely appeal.

Live sport trump's all H 

The more I read Ginger John's comments the more it confirms he rarely leaves his keyboard/plasma TV to experience real sport 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

The more I read Ginger John's comments the more it confirms he rarely leaves his keyboard/plasma TV to experience real sport 

That is quite impressively wrong.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

On 19/04/2022 at 16:50, GUBRATS said:

I love sat 6 pm kick off , go to the game , out for a beer afterwards 👍

Yes, the moving of the Saturday games is a real shame, although we do get some Catalans games at least. 

On 20/04/2022 at 10:23, StandOffHalf said:

Harry's comments transport me back in time - to a time before I was born.

I really like the sentiment around fans of a club settling on a weekly time and the potential for a more bustling atmosphere at the ground and more sense of community. I do think there is something - however whimsical and rose-tinted it might be - in his take on scheduling.

However, the broadcasters call the shots. The old days have (sadly?) gone.

Regular same time same day 15:00 Sunday fixtures in the Championship just seems so right to a number of people who not only go to their teams home fixtures but regularly travel to away fixtures.

This has been done in the Championship for quite a while, so I don't know how old you are (being as you say before you was born) or you have only ever been involved with SL rugby in which any one of 4 days different times can be utilised.

And, I did say in my first post on this subject that it was a pipedream to have all Rugby League at the same time, as yes I am aware the broadcasters have the final decision in fixtures.

I think the Sunday 3pm point was made badly and didn't address broadcasting requirements, but I would say that I think scheduling of SL is shambolic tbh. Us competing with our own product with such a limited audience to play with is idiotic imho. 

I would also point out that some people who may be dismissive and derogatory about regularity of scheduling of games do champion exactly this for French teams and wanted the same for Toronto. It is easy to see why people get peed off with these double standards (it's a farce that Catalans get a Thursday game, Wakefield should shut up moaning and crack on). 

But putting that aside, I do think we should have slots for TV games and then slots for non-TV games. There seems to be a real lack of joined up approach. Even the UK football leagues don't just allow clubs to arrange fixtures for whatever day they want, they still loosely use the 3pm Saturday slot. 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Dave T said:

Yes, the moving of the Saturday games is a real shame, although we do get some Catalans games at least. 

Yes , but I'm not going to fly to the south of France unless they're playing Leyth , I'm talking about watching ' Live ' , not on't telly 

9 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

Yes , but I'm not going to fly to the south of France unless they're playing Leyth , I'm talking about watching ' Live ' , not on't telly 

Aye I get that, and I agree, a game finishing just before 8 was perfect for then getting a night out. 

I do also enjoy an early start at 6pm watching a TV game in the pub though. 

• Like 1

It occurs to me that Sunday kick-off (2.30 pm, 3 pm 3.30 pm) is not in my view a good time for televised matches.  I can get away with watching at 8 PM on a Thursday and Friday, or even Sat afternoon occasionally for BBC Cup games, but not slap bang in the middle of Sunday. That slot would not be attractive for TV. I believe  (for it is a matter of faith not fact)   TV revenue would suffer and we'd enter yet another downward spiral as that loss would not, for the same reason, be mitigated by increased revenue from spectators.

17 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

Regular same time same day 15:00 Sunday fixtures in the Championship just seems so right to a number of people who not only go to their teams home fixtures but regularly travel to away fixtures.

This has been done in the Championship for quite a while, so I don't know how old you are (being as you say before you was born) or you have only ever been involved with SL rugby in which any one of 4 days different times can be utilised.

And, I did say in my first post on this subject that it was a pipedream to have all Rugby League at the same time, as yes I am aware the broadcasters have the final decision in fixtures.

I'm 33. I realise that the Championship have initiated that.

I'm just trying to be realistic. I like the sentiment and do think it would offer benefits for fans going to games, but it's not really a runner with TV in the picture and calling the shots.

I didn't mean to sound dismissive or condescending with that first comment. Sorry if it came across like that.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, StandOffHalf said:

I'm 33. I realise that the Championship have initiated that.

I'm just trying to be realistic. I like the sentiment and do think it would offer benefits for fans going to games, but it's not really a runner with TV in the picture and calling the shots.

I didn't mean to sound dismissive or condescending with that first comment. Sorry if it came across like that.

No offence taken,

• Like 1