Match thread: Championship Rd 9. Bradford v Featherstone Rovers. Monday 25th April 2022.

marklaspalmas

16 minutes ago, haskey said:

Why do the RFL insist on clubs naming a 21 man squad. when certain players are definitely on the injured list. as you say POR utterly pointless

To answer your question...they originally insisted on 19-man squads being announced at the 48-hour stage as a response to one or two highly-publicised betting coups (eg one could have happened with the Cas v St Helens game last night if we hadn't known 48 hourse beforehand that Saints were playing their kids).

Then after various consultations including with fans, they changed it to 21-man squads, but you lose an interchange for every change you make after the squad is announced.

I think the rationale was that a 19-man squad was too limiting for coaches when they had several players facing late fitness tests.

My guess is clubs like to name 21-men squads even when they don't have 21 fit players because it looks embarrassing if they can't name a full squad (journos tend to pick up on it quickly). From a coaching POV it probably makes sense to name 21 to give your opponents as few clues about your starting line-up as possible.

• Like 2

Surprising, in a good way, to see both Ferres and Pickersgill back in.

Hopefully they are both fit and genuinely in contention, not just making up the numbers.

Disappointed Cuthberston is not there, he'd've been useful on that wicket.

Leilua, this could be season-long, his fitness irregularity.

Hopefully JSL will get a run.

And probably get a look at Mathiou too.

13 hours ago, jamescolin said:

Cant get twitter. Could someone let me know the full team of 21 and what they think the 19 wil lbe

Colin you don’t need Twitter it’s also posted on the Official Featherstone Rovers page and Fans page 

Im Fev and im proud

13 hours ago, jamescolin said:

Cant get twitter. Could someone let me know the full team of 21 and what they think the 19 wil lbe

As it's a televised game, the best way of working out who will be in the final 17 is to go on all the players' Instagram pages and see who has had a "fade" haircut this week (Callum Field for one).

Joking aside, it's difficult to predict the final 17 because the injury status of Smith, Sene-Lefao, Ferres and Pickersgill isn't widely known, we also don't know where Mac sees Mathiou in relation to the likes of Field and McConnell etc.

I'd guess Kheirallah, Briscoe, Hellewell, Hall, Gale, Smith, Jacks, Kopczak, Wildie, Lockwood, Bussey, Sene-Lefao/Davies, Moors subs Jones, Field, Cooper, Davies/Mathiou. But it's just a guess.

14 hours ago, marklaspalmas said:

Surprising, in a good way, to see both Ferres and Pickersgill back in.

Hopefully they are both fit and genuinely in contention, not just making up the numbers.

Disappointed Cuthberston is not there, he'd've been useful on that wicket.

Surprising M well YES and NO looking at the squad list njuries loans and one still in aus we are down to the bare bones holmes and doyle missing from last week 21 so somebody  had to fill in

Think both of them wiil be sat in the stand unless Bretts thumbs not as bad 👍 then he could make the bench

Agree about cuthbo very disappointing 

FOR my 17 take last weeks  starting 13 and change morgan for matty and jesse for JD KICK OFF🥳

Before people go off on one for JD not starting I think he is more effective when he comes off the bench running against tired legs and Iv'e watched a few BULLS highlights and it doesn't take long for their forward to be running on empty so think JD would have a field day coming off the bench

FOR the subs coops JD and Ben M should be nailed on and for number four I would be tempted just to play one number nine and pick another forward ala callum or brett 

Regarding  my choice of  one hooker I would go for Connor I think he is better at pinching tries from AHB close to the line especially with Bulls conceding 3 last week

Doesn't it get boring? Another weekend another comfortable win?

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Touch Rugby W(h)inger and part-time Super Hero (Thursday mornings by appointment) :superman:

BATLEY BULLDOGS RLFC :bb:

3 hours ago, POR said:

Surprising M well YES and NO looking at the squad list njuries loans and one still in aus we are down to the bare bones holmes and doyle missing from last week 21 so somebody  had to fill in

Think both of them wiil be sat in the stand unless Bretts thumbs not as bad 👍 then he could make the bench

Agree about cuthbo very disappointing 

FOR my 17 take last weeks  starting 13 and change morgan for matty and jesse for JD KICK OFF🥳

Before people go off on one for JD not starting I think he is more effective when he comes off the bench running against tired legs and Iv'e watched a few BULLS highlights and it doesn't take long for their forward to be running on empty so think JD would have a field day coming off the bench

FOR the subs coops JD and Ben M should be nailed on and for number four I would be tempted just to play one number nine and pick another forward ala callum or brett 

Regarding  my choice of  one hooker I would go for Connor I think he is better at pinching tries from AHB close to the line especially with Bulls conceding 3 last week

Fair play. It's hard to say if Ferres, Pickers, Mathiou or even Jesse are genuinely in contention for a place or not.

But you've left Matty Wildie out of your 17 and I wouldn't do that.

48 minutes ago, marklaspalmas said:

Fair play. It's hard to say if Ferres, Pickers, Mathiou or even Jesse are genuinely in contention for a place or not.

But you've left Matty Wildie out of your 17 and I wouldn't do that.

I agree about brett and brandon  but you don't recall ben M put him in the squad  and not pick him you could have just done that with cuthbo same  for jesse been in full time training for a while now and second time in squad  so he's been named again for a reason

We (Leigh) were rather fortunate to win at Bradford in the challenge cup and were a few minutes away from being knocked out of both cup comps. No disrespect to the Bulls, but I'll be rather surprised if you win by less than 10, but you say their big plus is the pitch which is ###### and small. 🙂

Not without a few hairy moments but that was a solid enough win I thought. The pitch is as much of a leveller as a mudbath because the gaps just aren't there so it just becomes a physical arm wrestle, and we made much more yardage than they did for most of the game.

We need to get used to the fact that teams are tending to be up for it most weeks when they play us, apart from Barrow and maybe Batley in the Cup most teams have had a real dig against us, I thought Bradford were much better this week than they had been against Halifax.

A bit of a concern perhaps about some of our goal-line defence at times though it was good on occasions too.

Bussey was great and so was JD, and Jacks continues to prove very effective. Briscoe and Gale made good metres all night too which was what was needed on that pitch.

Good to see JSL back, playing in the middle won't have harmed his fitness either.

Yes first 50 minutes was a bit of an arm wrestle with some easy tries to Bradford. As you say Phantom goal line defence a worry , A thought in the last half hour we were well on top, fair to play to Bradford   they made a game of it. Nice to see JSL back and a fair run by Mathiou.