Jump to content

Saints domination - boring?


Recommended Posts


would say saints are more consistant than dominant -they are not even that good-  would love to see a club swap for a season st helens in the nrl and st george in sl - see what happens 

  • Like 1

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, graveyard johnny said:

would say saints are more consistant than dominant -they are not even that good-  would love to see a club swap for a season st helens in the nrl and st george in sl - see what happens 

If you set aside the Toulouse game where we clearly were taking it easy, we've conceded less than 5 points a game on average.  Including Toulouse it's less than 8.

We've played the rest of the top4 amongst those games (Catalans twice) and won each of those games comfortably.

I'd love to see your definition of a dominant team!

Edited by FearTheVee
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, FearTheVee said:

 

I'd love to see your definition of a dominant team!

penrith panthers  or melborne storm- if st helens came up against these 2 there would be 2 definitions of "dominant team" and one of something else

  • Haha 2
  • Confused 4

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, graveyard johnny said:

penrith panthers  or melborne storm- if st helens came up against these 2 there would be 2 definitions of "dominant team" and one of something else

Yes, I think everyone who says St Helens are dominant in SL actually mean they would dominate the NRL.  Obviously.  And would win the World Cup.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

am not sure konrad hurrell and will hopoate (for eg)would ever get chance to to see the panthers or storm try line in a month of sundays of games never mind "dominate"

  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, graveyard johnny said:

am not sure konrad hurrell and will hopoate (for eg)would ever get chance to to see the panthers or storm try line in a month of sundays of games never mind "dominate"

Good point.  In that case Saints are not dominating SL.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, DavidM said:

To me it’s a mix of Saints being really good and the rest being not great and largely inconsistent . If I’m honest I watch SL and outside Saints I feel often the standard really isn’t all that hot 

Yes this is true. Throughout almost every period of the game I can recall times when there have been at least 2 teams fairly well matched and competing for every honour. Throughout the Super League era it has generally been Bradford, Leeds, Saints, Warrington and Wigan in close competition for every Grand Final with any 2 of these closely matched. The last 3 years though every team bar Saints has looked way off. Credit to Saints, they can only beat what's in front of them, but the usual competition have been way off.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, FearTheVee said:

Good point.  In that case Saints are not dominating SL.

you asked for my definition of a dominate team- i threw all the clubs in that mix to determine that

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Hughsehhh said:

I think saints are that good, they'd probably be the third best team in the NRL right now

 

I’m interested in that view . Of course it’s all hypothetical but you think Saints are better than Roosters , Sharks , Sea Eagles , Eels and Souths ?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

It's looking like they will walk both competitions again 

I enjoy watching them to an extent but they are just too dominant over all other teams.

For me it's bad for the game....I have no answers how to fix it by the way

 

Was Football dull in the 1980s when Liverpool won everything? - the standard was far better than today and other clubs had to raise their game.

This saints team will mostly break up at the end of this season with a few retirements so the challenge will really start next season to keep at the top.

Just a shame this team didn't get more cracks at the NRL champions - think they could have beaten Penrith this year.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, FearTheVee said:

Strong words from Woolf re: the squad for Friday:

"The French trip takes a lot out of you and we put a lot in that game to make sure we got a win there. We were on a short turn around with that travel going into the biggest game of the year on Good Friday, the derby. A big game, a bruising game and emotionally takes it out of you.

Then a two-day turn around which is the shortest in the competition to come out and beat a strong and committed Huddersfield side.

That’s three games in nine days against the teams sitting second, third and fourth. That takes a lot out of you. I wasn’t prepared to turn around and ask our players to play another game on another short turnaround which would mean playing four games in 13 days.

I think what it is, is we have a competition that doesn’t really protect the players. And when we’ve got that I need to make decisions to make sure I’m protecting my players.”

He’s spot on, the current schedule is ridiculous 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, graveyard johnny said:

penrith panthers  or melborne storm- if st helens came up against these 2 there would be 2 definitions of "dominant team" and one of something else

God youre boring.

Edited by dkw
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I don't think it's boring personally.

I now have three "favourite" teams that I like to follow each weekend in the following order : 

1 : Hull FC

2 : Whoever is playing Hull KR

3 : Whoever is playing St Helens

"When I saw the Pistols and The Clash I realised it didn't seem that difficult, they didn't seem like they could play very well either, so the thing was to form a band then work it out. We didn't even know who was going to play what - we passed around all the instruments until we found what we were comfortable with. I wasn't comfortable with any of them so I became the singer."

                                                                   Terry Hall on forming The Specials.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, Old Frightful said:

I don't think it's boring personally.

I now have three "favourite" teams that I like to follow each weekend in the following order : 

1 : Hull FC

2 : Whoever is playing Hull KR

3 : Whoever is playing St Helens

I've noticed you're obsessed with Hull kr ,or Rervers as you love to call em.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

31 minutes ago, Old Frightful said:

I don't think it's boring personally.

I now have three "favourite" teams that I like to follow each weekend in the following order : 

1 : Hull FC

2 : Whoever is playing Hull KR

3 : Whoever is playing St Helens

What a masochist you appear to be 😂

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

It's looking like they will walk both competitions again 

I enjoy watching them to an extent but they are just too dominant over all other teams.

For me it's bad for the game....I have no answers how to fix it by the way

 

The other teams need to raise their standards. Its as simple as that

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, The Future is League said:

The other teams need to raise their standards. Its as simple as that

That is answering a different question, though. The question here is - is it boring? I would argue that Saints’ games are generally very dull, and there is very little excitement about the outcome of the season. Saints will win the Cup and the GF, and the LLS if they can be bothered. And will do the same next year. 

However, we watch the greatest game of all, and there are lots of interesting games between the other 11 teams. Neither FC nor WIre would give Saints much trouble, but when they played each other it was a good game. Seeing Field in action hasn’t been boring in the slightest. Having got used to the idea that we have 11 also fans, there is joy to be had in the little things. Basically, we have a Championship with 2 dozen teams in it. 

So, yes, it’s boring and likely to be boring for a long time. But we still have a great game to watch. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

42 minutes ago, Fevrover said:

I've noticed you're obsessed with Hull kr ,or Rervers as you love to call em.

I ain't called them "Rervers" since Clinton Baptiste took me to task over it a couple of weeks back.

As I said when he quoted me, it was more of a swipe at the Hull accent than anything else.

Still, continue to have a pop if you like, although you'll not find as much bitterness in my posts as in the ones from a certain Hull KR fan on here.

  • Like 1

"When I saw the Pistols and The Clash I realised it didn't seem that difficult, they didn't seem like they could play very well either, so the thing was to form a band then work it out. We didn't even know who was going to play what - we passed around all the instruments until we found what we were comfortable with. I wasn't comfortable with any of them so I became the singer."

                                                                   Terry Hall on forming The Specials.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Old Frightful said:

I ain't called them "Rervers" since Clinton Baptiste took me to task over it a couple of weeks back.

As I said when he quoted me, it was more of a swipe at the Hull accent than anything else.

Still, continue to have a pop if you like, although you'll not find as much bitterness in my posts as in the ones from a certain Hull KR fan on here.

Iam not having a pop lol 😆 just light hearted banter. I didn't realise you'd been taken to task about calling em Rervers lol. I certainly don't think there's any bitterness in your posts either. Wish I'd never said owt ha ha.

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Gillmeister80 said:

I think its great that we have a team thats finally raised the bar for the competition and its on the other clubs who now have to rasie there standards or be left behind.

I agree. But does it really have to be Saints? 😀

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth."

JohnM - 17/01/2023

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Saints are a very good team among dross.

Fair play to them though because you can only beat whats in front of you.

They look like world beaters but i doubt very much they would beat the NRL champs if we ever get that match on again.

Rugby Union the only game in the world were the spectators handle the ball more than the players.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

35 minutes ago, jacksy said:

Saints are a very good team among dross.

Fair play to them though because you can only beat whats in front of you.

They look like world beaters but i doubt very much they would beat the NRL champs if we ever get that match on again.

Think they'd hold their own with plenty of NRL sides though ...they'd have teams like Wests on toast at the moment 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...