New Leeds Rhinos Coach

4 minutes ago, The storm said:

I cant imagine for one second how leeds fans will be remotely happy with this very poor appointment

I believe leeds will get relegated, as toulouse have signed Corey Norman 

Leeds fans weren’t happy when we appointed Tony Smith or Brian McDermott.

A lot of fans were happy when we appointed David Furner.

Fans often know ###### all.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Someone dig out the reactions when Bradford appointed him.

I liked him at the Bulls, but whether he wasn't given enough time or he wasn't the right fit?

My abiding memory of his style was being told about him trying to get his players to understand why they were doing a particular drill or exercise he'd brought in, and that philosophy falling flat.

I'll admit, when I saw this appointment I laughed, a mixture of blast from the past meets failed experiment.

4 hours ago, Tommygilf said:

The Queensland Cup is arguably the 3rd best RL competition in the world, so hardly a poor proving ground for a head coach; especially someone with a glut of prior experience in assistant etc roles at various other top flight clubs.

He's got as good a CV as Holbrook had IMO.

People here won’t like it, but I’d say it’s 2nd to the NRL with SL a close third, and the NSW Cup just behind. The number of fringe NRL players in QRL rosters who’d be top 25% SL players is pretty big 

• Haha 5

Apparently this site says I "won the day" here on 23rd Jan, 19th Jan, 9th Jan also 13th December, whatever any of that means. Anyway, 4 times in a few weeks? The forum must be going to the dogs - you people need to seriously up your game. Where's Dutoni when you need him?

Just now, Hull Kingston Bronco said:

People here won’t like it, but I’d say it’s 2nd to the NRL with SL a close third, and the NSW Cup just behind. The number of fringe NRL players in QRL rosters who’d be top 25% SL players is pretty big 

In terms of pure onfield quality I think you could make a reasonable argument for that.

I think when you take into consideration the whole package though, with media and fan scrutiny, Super League does present a greater challenge than the Q Cup imo.

I liked him at the Bulls, apparently the players and staff all loved him. Yes, that final game agaInst Featherstone was a shambles but rumour has it there were off field issues brewing. Shortly after the game the club went bust again, and the owners (Chalmers) decided he wanted Toovey as coach for some inexplicable reason and dispensed with Smith.

The point being that he never really had a fair crack with the Bulls due to our usual basket case off field nonsense.

Whether he’s the right appointment for Leeds only time will tell. It could be a stroke of genius, or a total disaster. It be interesting to watch it play out

Wasn’t Mathers one of the idiots banging the “you can’t send people off for serious foul play, people will walk away from the sport (despite crowd figures suggesting that not being the case)” crowd? I’d take what he says with a pinch of salt. 

1 hour ago, Tommygilf said:

In terms of pure onfield quality I think you could make a reasonable argument for that.

I think when you take into consideration the whole package though, with media and fan scrutiny, Super League does present a greater challenge than the Q Cup imo.

Agreed. SL is a major comp, and comes with performance pressure. I’m just saying I think Redcliffe Dolphins would beat Wakefield Trinity 9 times out of 10 if they were matched up 

Apparently this site says I "won the day" here on 23rd Jan, 19th Jan, 9th Jan also 13th December, whatever any of that means. Anyway, 4 times in a few weeks? The forum must be going to the dogs - you people need to seriously up your game. Where's Dutoni when you need him?

13 hours ago, Damien said:

Queensland Cup to Super League. I'd have expected a bigger appointment from Leeds really.

That experience will come in handy in the Championship next season. 😉

• Haha 1

My blog: https://rugbyl.blogspot.co.nz/

It takes wisdom to know when a discussion has run its course.

It takes reasonableness to end that discussion. 

Out of interest, does anyone have a ballpark number on what type of salary this appointment would come with?

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

22 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

Out of interest, does anyone have a ballpark number on what type of salary this appointment would come with?

My guess would be A$200 - about £120k

If they had gone for Flanagan they would have had to pay maybe 2x or 3x  that

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, JohnM said:

Too late, sorry. The jobs taken.😀

Ah well... there's always HKR!

• Haha 1

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

13 hours ago, Hull Kingston Bronco said:

Considering the Queensland Cup has a salary cap of only $400,000 (about £230k) and a maximum wage of $30,000 (about £17k) then I find that hard to believe. There are Championship teams with considerably bigger budgets.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Damien said:

Considering the Queensland Cup has a salary cap of only $400,000 (about £230k) and a maximum wage of $30,000 (about £17k) then I find that hard to believe. There are Championship teams with considerably bigger budgets.

You’re ignoring the impact of the NRLs version of dual reg. I’ll say it again, I think Redcliffe Dolphins would beat Wakefield Trinity 9 times out of 10, just by way of one random match-up.

The participation pool in Australia is multiple times larger than ours, it follows naturally that their fringe players will be better than our average. There’s just not enough room for them all in the NRL, how much they get paid in a comp with lower revenues isn’t a measure of their relative value or ability as players to ours. 

• Like 1