New Leeds Rhinos Coach

11 hours ago, The Rocket said:

His uncle was one of the finest Rugby League brains the game has ever produced. For many years he was the guest expert on ABC radio`s Saturday (10hrs) and Sunday (6hrs) every week of the season - which I  rarely ever missed, a man of profound insight and knowledge of the game and I`ll guarantee still a keen student of Rugby League.

If the young Leeds coach does not have long conversations, even if only by phone, about current trends and tactics in the game, I`d be very surprised.

Do you mean his dad (Brian) not his uncle (Tony) ?

He will also have learned a great deal from Brian's former St George/Parramatta assistant, 'Rocket' Rod Reddy. You'll know him. 🙂

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Szymala said:

Do you mean his dad (Brian) not his uncle (Tony) ?

He will also have learned a great deal from Brian's former St George/Parramatta assistant, 'Rocket' Rod Reddy. You'll know him. 🙂

Thanks mate, you know I thought I`d read Brian was his Dad, but I read a post by someone talking about him bringing in his uncle, so I assumed Brian must have been his uncle. Even better for him though I suppose.

I got so caught up in St. George`s march to the finals under Smith in the early 90`s, it had been a while, that I went to one of their open training sessions during GF week, Smithy saw me standing on my own watching from the boundary and sent an assistant over and asked me if I was a spy from the Broncos, I said you`re kidding mate, I must have sounded sincere, because he said no worries mate and let me stay.

What's his brother Keegan doing at the moment?  He has a great reputation in strength and conditioning.

"I'm a traditionalist and I don"t think you'd ever see me coaching an Australian national side!"  Lee Radford, RLW March 2016

Proud to be a member of the TRL woke claque

45 minutes ago, latchford albion said:

What's his brother Keegan doing at the moment?  He has a great reputation in strength and conditioning.

He seems to do a lot of private work now travelling the world and living the dream. I see a lot of his stuff on social media and its interesting to see his philosophy on life.

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, The Rocket said:

Thanks mate, you know I thought I`d read Brian was his Dad, but I read a post by someone talking about him bringing in his uncle, so I assumed Brian must have been his uncle. Even better for him though I suppose.

I got so caught up in St. George`s march to the finals under Smith in the early 90`s, it had been a while, that I went to one of their open training sessions during GF week, Smithy saw me standing on my own watching from the boundary and sent an assistant over and asked me if I was a spy from the Broncos, I said you`re kidding mate, I must have sounded sincere, because he said no worries mate and let me stay.

Sounds just like Brian, a very intense man but a brilliant coaching mind. I always liked him.

Pilloried for no grand final win but it was no disgrace to lose twice to THAT Brisbane team. And with Parra' he was simply undone by a genial performance from Andrew Johns after the Eels had been far and away the best team in 2001 - shades of Cas' in 2017.

Coaching over 600 ARL/NRL games (plus many more with Hull, Bulls and Wakefield) is no mean feat. 

• Like 1

On 20/04/2022 at 14:50, Tommygilf said:

Don't worry, you can get the home shirt for £30 using the code "Welcome"! 

It could work excellently. Just needs to get us scoring tries as a priority.

I’m very pleased with the appointment, particularly given some of the other names linked such as Maguire. Smith is very highly thought of, has done a good apprentice under a number of head coaches and has a successful track record as a head coach. Crucially his vision and approach aligns so it should be a good culture fit. 

I hope Sean Long heads for the exit. Our attack has been toothless for a while, so I have no idea what purpose he is serving

• Like 1

On 21/04/2022 at 19:57, Hull Kingston Bronco said:

You’re ignoring the impact of the NRLs version of dual reg. I’ll say it again, I think Redcliffe Dolphins would beat Wakefield Trinity 9 times out of 10, just by way of one random match-up.

The participation pool in Australia is multiple times larger than ours, it follows naturally that their fringe players will be better than our average. There’s just not enough room for them all in the NRL, how much they get paid in a comp with lower revenues isn’t a measure of their relative value or ability as players to ours. 

Dophins flogged again this weekend, next to bottom, my money would be on Wakefield.

7 hours ago, Anita Bath said:

Dophins flogged again this weekend, next to bottom, my money would be on Wakefield.

Guess you didn’t see Wakefield against us at the weekend then 🙄😂😂😂

Apparently this site says I "won the day" here on 23rd Jan, 19th Jan, 9th Jan also 13th December, whatever any of that means. Anyway, 4 times in a few weeks? The forum must be going to the dogs - you people need to seriously up your game. Where's Dutoni when you need him?

1 hour ago, Wigan Riversider said:

Is Longy to be retained by the new Leeds Head coach?

Officially yes the support staff are all remaining in place. I'm sure Smith will be able to make changes in the close season if he wants though.

The Eagle has landed.

Famously amongst the first things Howard Wilkinson did when landing at Elland Road in 1988 was to take down all the old photographs of the 1960s/70s Leeds United team as he thought the club was obsessively living in the past in a way which wasn't healthy.

At Headingley and at Kirkstall they've build the past literally into the walls of the place -  the players can't turn a corner without seeing some ghostly figure brandishing a trophy or a list of great past players.

I wonder if Smith might just want to turn the players' focus away from all that sort of stuff.

Edited by M j M
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, M j M said:

The Eagle has landed.

At Headingley and at Kirkstall they've build the past literally into the walls of the place -  the players can't turn a corner without seeing some ghostly figure brandishing a trophy or a list of great past players.

I wonder if Smith might just want to turn the players' focus away from all that sort of stuff.

Like winning things ? 

8 hours ago, Tommygilf said:

The legacy can weigh heavy like an albatross if not done right. The current team needs to forge its new legacy.

If the players aren't mentally strong enough to overcome that, then they won't be mentally strong enough to win a trophy anyway. It's all a mindset thing, those images should be inspirational, not a burden. That group requires leadership more than anything

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

So 16 months in I'd be interested in people's thoughts as to how Smith has done in the last 16 months. As far as I can see, from the outside anyway, Leeds have not progressed one bit and some of their performances, like today, speak for themselves. 

I was always quite clear that it was a poor appointment. To me Leeds should have been looking to do better than appointing someone who had been coaching in the Queensland Cup for the previous 4 years. I know though that some thought Smith was a great appointment and just what Leeds needed. While there is always an element of fans backing their clubs some fans of other clubs thought the same too. Do Leeds fans still think this, and simply think he should be given more time, or do they now want a change and want Smith gone? Are there green shoots at Headingley that make you think that Smith is putting the correct structures and processes in place for long term success? Or is it a Daryl Powell type situation and he has made things worse and Leeds just need to start again?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Damien said:

So 16 months in I'd be interested in people's thoughts as to how Smith has done in the last 16 months. As far as I can see, from the outside anyway, Leeds have not progressed one bit and some of their performances, like today, speak for themselves. 

I was always quite clear that it was a poor appointment. To me Leeds should have been looking to do better than appointing someone who had been coaching in the Queensland Cup for the previous 4 years. I know though that some thought Smith was a great appointment and just what Leeds needed. While there is always an element of fans backing their clubs some fans of other clubs thought the same too. Do Leeds fans still think this, and simply think he should be given more time, or do they now want a change and want Smith gone? Are there green shoots at Headingley that make you think that Smith is putting the correct structures and processes in place for long term success? Or is it a Daryl Powell type situation and he has made things worse and Leeds just need to start again?

The Squad is and has been a mess since 2017.

Its easy to take this loss in isolation without looking at the big picture 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Chrispmartha said:

Both comments are correct but can you or anyone else tell me what exactly Smith is trying to achieve? He said something about versatility pre season hence playing players out of position which he has continued to do so but that’s it. Leeds have gone backwards since Agar left. 

6 minutes ago, Chrispmartha said:

But the big picture isn't good. This is one of many poor performances this season and Leeds are sat in 8th and need a miracle just to make the play offs.

What is the bigger picture that is being missed if you take away the bare facts? That is what I was alluding to, are there green shoots and improvements that are not evident yet?

Edited by Damien
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Damien said:

But the big picture isn't good. This is one of many poor performances this season and Leeds are sat in 8th and need a miracle just to make the play offs.

What is the bigger picture that is being missed if you take away the bare facts? That is what I was alluding to, are there green shoots and improvements that are not evident yet?

The bigger picture is getting the right players in and bringing through the kids.

The academy has also been neglected since McDermott was there and afterwards aswell.

Weve had poor performances but weve also only been hammered twice, weve also had 3 senior players leave as I say next year is smiths big test.