Zak Hardacre

1 hour ago, clwydianrange said:

Just seen an article on Twitter that he’s on his way back to Leeds. Talks ongoing and they hope to sort out the deal in time for the next match

Who by? JJB may be interested in helping him, but surely the club aren't that desperate to sign a player knowing exactly who it'll turn out.

• Like 1

On 22/04/2022 at 17:54, Tommygilf said:

Might be his missus, being away from support networks with babies must be difficult

Did I read somewhere he lived in Pontefract?  If so, it's 70 easy miles from there to the DW Stadium. The money Hardaker was likely on, he could have afforded to make the trip by taxi on occasions. I feel that there may well be more, much more to this than meets the eye. It strikes me that maybe Wigan have just got fed up of being Zaks personal support network, absorbing just too much management time compared with the performances he was delivering.

Whichever team, if any, he ends up at, good luck to them -they'll need it.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, JohnM said:

It strikes me that maybe Wigan have just got fed up of being Zaks personal support network, absorbing just too much management time

But what about the duty of care Wigan said they were most interested in and how they would help this troubled young man with his issues? Unlike his careless and care less previous clubs?

How can such a wholesome club ever use "your problems are taking up too much of our time" as a reason for withdrawing their support?

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

7 hours ago, RigbyLuger said:

Who by? JJB may be interested in helping him, but surely the club aren't that desperate to sign a player knowing exactly who it'll turn out.

https://www.leeds-live.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/zak-hardaker-leeds-rhinos-return-23763488

It is exactly as you describe: JJB has said he's interested, no comment from the club.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

5 hours ago, JohnM said:

Did I read somewhere he lived in Pontefract?  If so, it's 70 easy miles from there to the DW Stadium. The money Hardaker was likely on, he could have afforded to make the trip by taxi on occasions. I feel that there may well be more, much more to this than meets the eye. It strikes me that maybe Wigan have just got fed up of being Zaks personal support network, absorbing just too much management time compared with the performances he was delivering.

Whichever team, if any, he ends up at, good luck to them -they'll need it.

The accusation seems to be around being late for training 

1 hour ago, M j M said:

But what about the duty of care Wigan said they were most interested in and how they would help this troubled young man with his issues? Unlike his careless and care less previous clubs?

How can such a wholesome club ever use "your problems are taking up too much of our time" as a reason for withdrawing their support?

It's pure supposition in any case. How far does any employers "duty of care" extend? According to ACAS, 

The law: Employers have a 'duty of care'. This means they must do all they reasonably can to support their employees' health, safety and wellbeing.

There is no authoratitive  statement from anyone as to exactly why he is leaving with immediate effect. His previous transgressions may not have helped. Perhaps Wigan can show they have done all they reasonably can have done? 

Hardaker is no innocent little lost boy, the victim of some uncaring employer, as reference to his five serious transgression listed in his Wikipedia entry.  He is an experienced 30 year old,  extremely well paid individual by any standards, possibly with an agent and certainly with enough income to have taken legal advice about this.

Of course , it works both ways, in my view. It seems that according to the Health and Safety Executive, "Worker's have a duty to take care of their own health and safety and that of others who may be affected by your actions at work"

Perhaps Wigan could have suspended him, sent him home, prevented him from playing for them and from playing for any other club. Perhaps they've been reasonable in terminating his employment (on who knows what financial terms (compromise agreement?) freeing him to continue his career with another club. 

Perhaps Wigan have said

• Like 1

Alas there was no reflection on this from Wigan when slagging off his previous clubs when they signed him.

Anyway, assuming this is true I'm ok with Leeds taking him on to the end of the season - but would not be getting him in on anything more than that. He's not someone we can or should be building a team around.

No doubt Hardaker, depending on how his relationship with Mcdermott is nowadays, is eying Fev in Super League for 2023 if it happens. So a 2022-only deal should suit both parties.

1 hour ago, Tommygilf said:

The accusation seems to be around being late for training 

And missing coaches, wanting to go out on the ###### after games rather than get back on the bus, calling the coach out, slagging the coach off within earshot of him etc...

He`s had more chances than he deserves, all of this is of his own making.

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, dkw said:

And missing coaches, wanting to go out on the ###### after games rather than get back on the bus, calling the coach out, slagging the coach off within earshot of him etc...

I suspect much of that is linked to him wanting to go last season and trying to force his way out. Happens in team sports quite often

3 hours ago, dkw said:

At some point (and this point was passed a long time ago) it isn't just about the stupidity of the player doing dumb things but also the stupidly of the club(s) signing him believing they can stop him or he will stop doing dumb things.

Edited by Dunbar
  • Like 3

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

I doubt anyone is going to modify their view of or approach to the Hardaker situation.based on this discussion. I have expressed my opinion, as have others have theirs. None of that changes anything. Que sera, sera.

3 hours ago, M j M said:

Alas there was no reflection on this from Wigan when slagging off his previous clubs when they signed him.

Indeed. The issue is not necessarily Wigan supporting / suspending their support of Hardaker, but rather the pompous tone in IL's statement when he signed for the club - neglecting that Leeds had provided Zak with plenty of support (alongside disciplinary action) before deciding to move on. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, whatmichaelsays said:

Indeed. The issue is not necessarily Wigan supporting / suspending their support of Hardaker, but rather the pompous tone in IL's statement when he signed for the club - neglecting that Leeds had provided Zak with plenty of support (alongside disciplinary action) before deciding to move on. 

So yes, its more about Wigan than Hardaker. Its called "victim blaming" I believe.

10 hours ago, M j M said:

How long and how many chances do you want the club to give him? I think the club have been generous enough in their approach.

• Like 1

JJB  is a commited and practising evangelist who are known for trying to help out people who are down and  troubled with no aim or direction  and lost their way in life which is prob why he was just recently in charge of the entire leeds squad 

• Haha 1

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

1 hour ago, Damien said:

How long and how many chances do you want the club to give him? I think the club have been generous enough in their approach.

Tbf, I think it was clear Hardaker wanted to leave at the end of last season which Wigan were fully aware of and yet appear to have insisted on utilising an extension clause in his contract. The words from Lenegan last October seem pretty vindictive if nothing else which isn't good imo.

If Zak has used low level misdemeanours like being late to training to force his way out, he wouldn't be the first and won't be the last.

15 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Tbf, I think it was clear Hardaker wanted to leave at the end of last season which Wigan were fully aware of and yet appear to have insisted on utilising an extension clause in his contract. The words from Lenegan last October seem pretty vindictive if nothing else which isn't good imo.

If Zak has used low level misdemeanours like being late to training to force his way out, he wouldn't be the first and won't be the last.

Whether that is true or not im unsure. However the fact is that Hardaker agreed to that contract and Wigan gave him a way back into the game when few, if anyone else, would. If Hardaker has done as you say then that doesn't reflect well on him in my opinion rather than Wigan.

If he also really wanted to leave at the end of the last season then he could also have done as you say then, he didn't.

• Like 2