Zak Hardacre

One of the conditions when Wigan signed Hardaker was for him to live over there away from his local “influences”. A plan that seemed to work well initially. He then moved “back home” and the “low level misdemeanours” seem to have recommenced including missing training due to being out the night before with his mates. 
I'm not surprised Wigan have said “enough is enough” but bearing in mind Leeds are one of the clubs he has previously burnt I’m struggling to understand why Leeds want him especially as they are trying to reset their culture etc

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, LeeF said:

One of the conditions when Wigan signed Hardaker was for him to live over there away from his local “influences”. A plan that seemed to work well initially. He then moved “back home” and the “low level misdemeanours” seem to have recommenced including missing training due to being out the night before with his mates. 

I’ll give him his due , he never did that at Penrith 

• Haha 2

On 22/04/2022 at 17:54, Tommygilf said:

Might be his missus, being away from support networks with babies must be difficult

Yes, far be it from me to defend Hardaker, but I think people are very unfair with those kinds of comments. These are young lads on relatively modest amounts of money who often have families and young kids. 

Those sacrifices and logistics can be a bit easier to overcome if you are getting paid millions and millions. 

Players make many sacrifices, work unsocial hours, knacker their bodies and often do it for not great money. 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Yes, far be it from me to defend Hardaker, but I think people are very unfair with those kinds of comments. These are young lads on relatively modest amounts of money who often have families and young kids. 

Those sacrifices and logistics can be a bit easier to overcome if you are getting paid millions and millions. 

Players make many sacrifices, work unsocial hours, knacker their bodies and often do it for not great money. 

I’m not criticising the move back home for family support but that doesn’t explain him going out with his mates after a game and then missing training or, if correct, the constant disrespecting of his coach 

players come and go for all sorts of reasons -and contracts are a joke- how long till a thread about jai field leaving for a big money contract back in the nrl? not long i suspect

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

Just now, LeeF said:

I’m not criticising the move back home for family support but that doesn’t explain him going out with his mates after a game and then missing training or, if correct, the constant disrespecting of his coach 

Indeed, hence my first point about not defending Hardaker, it was more of a general point around travel for work. 

When I first moved to Edinburgh on my own I found it very lonely and challenging for a long time. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Two things are true (IMO):

- Hardaker is a complete tool

- Rugby league players, including Hardaker, deserve a lot more money and support

• Like 3

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Just now, Dave T said:

Indeed, hence my first point about not defending Hardaker, it was more of a general point around travel for work. 

When I first moved to Edinburgh on my own I found it very lonely and challenging for a long time. 

I’ve done my fair bit of travelling for work and the fun soon disappears especially with a young family

• Like 3

1 minute ago, LeeF said:

I’ve done my fair bit of travelling for work and the fun soon disappears especially with a young family

you should have left them at home

• Haha 9

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

20 minutes ago, LeeF said:

” but bearing in mind Leeds are one of the clubs he has previously burnt I’m struggling to understand why Leeds want him especially as they are trying to reset their culture etc

Because I think they are down to 16 to choose from their squad of 32....including two seventeen year olds 

Mad times call for unconventional measures and I think Rhinos need him...even if Sutty was fit he's still no match for Zak and Newman isn't back for ages 

Short term contract til season end then decide what happens after based on how well he plays and the 'other stuff' situation 

11 minutes ago, RigbyLuger said:

Are RL Cares or State of Mind there to help him/others?

I honestly don't know but if it's like any other mental health provision in this country - and I don't want to get political so I'll be as superficial as possible - then it will be focused on talking therapy above all else and, more fundamentally, massively stretched, so it may not either work or be there even if those delivering it want it to be.

• Like 2

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

1 hour ago, Dave T said:

Absolutely. In fairness the Hardaker now isn't the Hardaker that left Leeds and Cas IMO and the family stuff will be more important.

As you say, millions of £s can be a helpful tonic to being away from family support networks or indeed can bring them over or buy them in. No RL player is on that sort of money, and I suspect Hardaker will need that support more than most.

26 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Countdown to Wigan making an accusation of tapping up ... 5 ... 4 ... 3 ...

They usually insinuate some legal action will be coming before quietly dropping it.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

49 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Countdown to Wigan making an accusation of tapping up ... 5 ... 4 ... 3 ...

If it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck. It is as clear as day that this was engineered. I don’t know how angry Wigan should be about it, as it looked like he was desperate to go, and we couldn’t rely on him anyway. 

50 minutes ago, Exiled Wiganer said:

If it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck. It is as clear as day that this was engineered. I don’t know how angry Wigan should be about it, as it looked like he was desperate to go, and we couldn’t rely on him anyway. 

We shouldn't be angry about it at all.

Wigan gave him the chance to get back in the game, gave him a huge amount of support and he messed it up again. If Wigan are, as they claim, serious about creating a new culture at the club, then the likes of Zak are not going to help that.

He had his chance, he didn't take it, good luck to him, and the clubs that take him, for the rest of his career.

1 hour ago, Just Browny said:

They usually insinuate some legal action will be coming before quietly dropping it.

Indeed. There's a well documented and highly publicised long list of such actions. ...somewhere ....😀