Fri 22-Sun 24 Apr: The Betfred Championship Match Thread

22 hours ago, ShropshireBull said:

Thunder have been unconvincing but need to win here to ensure stay in race .

Thunder are unconvincing Salop, I got shot down for saying their televised game v Widnes was totally bland, people reacted with both defences were very good, but those defences had nothing to defend against, notcat all surprised that Sheffield beat them easy last night, a full time team should be doing much better than they are.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Harry Stottle said:

Thunder are unconvincing Salop, I got shot down for saying their televised game v Widnes was totally bland, people reacted with both defences were very good, but those defences had nothing to defend against, notcat all surprised that Sheffield beat them easy last night, a full time team should be doing much better than they are.

Without doubt we'll be disappointed with how the last couple of games have gone and agree we are unconvincing at the moment. Hopefully we might see some players come back to fitness.

The word from the club is patience which I get. By being full time our academy players can see a pathway to making a career out of rugby league and also be in a professional environment.

Given we've lost three players we signed who were key signings an emphasis on the academy is important for the future of the club.

It is tough at the moment but if we can see an improvement on last season at the end of the season I'll take that. We are at the start of a journey and there will be bumps along the way.

• Like 5

11 minutes ago, Phil W said:

The word from the club is patience which I get. By being full time our academy players can see a pathway to making a career out of rugby league and also be in a professional environment.

Given we've lost three players we signed who were key signings an emphasis on the academy is important for the future of the club.

No disrespect and please don't take this the wrong way, but I think you are very fortunate as a club to be able to build from within whilst other clubs have been refused the opportunity to do so, if Newcastle are allowed an Academy what is it that makes them so special? All the clubs are playing the same game aren't they and they should be allowed to reap the same rewards.

I am not singling out Newcastle with this view, whoever the club if they wish to run an academy they should be allowed to do so.

• Like 7

Regardless what anyone thinks of Newcastle , most Teams in the Championship look on with envy at a wing partnership of Welham and Jones-Bishop and halves like Farrell and Thackeray , when they click the opposition whoever they are need to be on their toes .

8 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

No disrespect and please don't take this the wrong way, but I think you are very fortunate as a club to be able to build from within whilst other clubs have been refused the opportunity to do so, if Newcastle are allowed an Academy what is it that makes them so special? All the clubs are playing the same game aren't they and they should be allowed to reap the same rewards.

I am not singling out Newcastle with this view, whoever the club if they wish to run an academy they should be allowed to do so.

Completely agree, if any team wants to run an academy team they should be allowed to do so. I'm guessing one thing might be is not sure how the finances work but we can afford to do it but could be wrong on that as not sure how much if any funding there is.

But for the game to grow more academies make sense as we could be missing out on talent. 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, dkw said:

Oldham v Cornwall in L1 is on our league. 

So is Leigh v London.

I passed on paying to watch the inevitable.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Just now, dkw said:

I just assumed that was pay per view as most championship games are.

No, you're right, I misread the question. It is PPV not free stream.

• Like 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Sammut for Barrow was stretching for a Try & got hit & has been down for a long time, Teams doing warms up atm to keep warmed up, Won’t be seeing JS again today & hope it’s mainly Precautionary but he’s getting strapped onto a stretcher so not looking great. 

Recover asap JS 

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

26 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

So is Leigh v London.

I passed on paying to watch the inevitable.

The jury was out if I came or not, but I relinquished, absolutely hate one sided games like this, Leigh seem to be using it has a training session, only hope that London give a better showing in the second half.

HT 36 - 00

18 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

The jury was out if I came or not, but I relinquished, absolutely hate one sided games like this, Leigh seem to be using it has a training session, only hope that London give a better showing in the second half.

HT 36 - 00

Credit to you for going. There's very little pleasure in such one sided encounters.

• Thanks 1