Fri 22 Apr: SL: Leeds Rhinos v Toulouse Olympique KO 20:00

Who will win?  

56 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• Leeds Rhinos
    • Toulouse Olympique

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 22/04/22 at 19:30

Just can’t see us winning this, everything is right for a Toulouse win.

However I don’t think it will be as significant in the long run as will be made out. We will get players back, hopefully new coach effect and we’ll put a bit of a run together, we won’t make the playoffs though

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, StandOffHalf said:

Are Leeds planning to put Leeming at 7 and Martin at 6 and ask Dwyer to play long minutes? I can't see any other options really, but that nullifies Dwyer's effectiveness as an impact sub.

I think Leeds look okay up front (although their prop interchanges look a bit light).

My gut feeling is that Leeds will muddle through in a scrappy game and win by 8-12 points. 22-14 is what I'll go for.

Think we might see Sinfield start again alongside Leeming with Sutcliffe at full back. Think we will go…

Sutcliffe

Tindall

Briscoe

Broadbent

Handley

Sinfield

Leeming

Oledski

Dwyer

Prior

Martin

Gannon

Smith

Oconner

Walters

Mustapha

Donaldson

4 minutes ago, Chrispmartha said:

Think we might see Sinfield start again alongside Leeming with Sutcliffe at full back. Think we will go…

Sutcliffe

Tindall

Briscoe

Broadbent

Handley

Sinfield

Leeming

Oledski

Dwyer

Prior

Martin

Gannon

Smith

Oconner

Walters

Mustapha

Donaldson

Yes, you could be right. I'd forgotten about young Sinfield.

It does make sense to keep Martin in the back-row. He's a good player but has looked a bit cumbersome and lacking in creativity when pushed into the halves.

3 hours ago, StandOffHalf said:

Pity that this isn't the Sky game on Friday. I think the fact that it's a meeting of the bottom two gives an added desperation to both teams.

I totally agree with you, and I consider Sky are ruing their scheduling, and for this very reason I am in no doubt that Sky will not allow - whilst in contract - the SL/RFL to get rid of P&R as it offers them more interest to screen as the season progresses especially in the last 3rd viewers need more that just the race for Old Trafford.

8 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

I totally agree with you, and I consider Sky are ruing their scheduling, and for this very reason I am in no doubt that Sky will not allow - whilst in contract - the SL/RFL to get rid of P&R as it offers them more interest to screen as the season progresses especially in the last 3rd viewers need more that just the race for Old Trafford.

Yes, if they'd had advance warning about Saints breaking in the youngsters, I'm sure they'd have elected to toddle off to Headingley in a heartbeat.

1 hour ago, Chrispmartha said:

Just can’t see us winning this, everything is right for a Toulouse win.

However I don’t think it will be as significant in the long run as will be made out. We will get players back, hopefully new coach effect and we’ll put a bit of a run together, we won’t make the playoffs though

Yep as I said previously, a TO win will keep the interest alive but I don't think it will save them, apart from yourself not many others are predicting a TO win, the way Leeds have been performing of late the consideration must be that TO are not very good and if they can't win this game there will not be much hope for them as the season progresses.

4 hours ago, StandOffHalf said:

Pity that this isn't the Sky game on Friday. I think the fact that it's a meeting of the bottom two gives an added desperation to both teams. Sky probably think there is more allure in Cas welcoming Saints to Wheldon Road, so I can understand their pick.

I think I'd rather watch this though, even if it might be a bit scrappy and dire.

Imagine if some people had their way and got rid of P&R this game would mean nothing!!!

9 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

👍

What are you actually balancing out SOH?

Well, I think 3-year licensing COULD be a better way. I just say could, as I know many dislike the idea. It would bring certainty and time, and remove the desperate scrapping for survival.

I intuitively don't like the idea of a closed shop, but I can see the potential benefits for the competition in a 3-year cycle.

17 minutes ago, StandOffHalf said:

Well, I think 3-year licensing COULD be a better way. I just say could, as I know many dislike the idea. It would bring certainty and time, and remove the desperate scrapping for survival.

I intuitively don't like the idea of a closed shop, but I can see the potential benefits for the competition in a 3-year cycle.

Yes that maybe a better solution to having to formulate a team in a few months, but having been in the Championship in the last round of Licencing would fans, and more importantly owners and board members be prepared to have two seasons in what is essentially a dead end street?

3 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Yes that maybe a better solution to having to formulate a team in a few months, but having been in the Championship in the last round of Licencing would fans, and more importantly owners and board members be prepared to have two seasons in what is essentially a dead end street?

I wouldn't be in favour of the top team every three years simply replacing the bottom SL team.

To be fair and to stop a mad rush, points totals would have to be added together across the three seasons. That would reward consistency and ensure that clubs had something to play for every season over the cycle.

If it was to be brought in, I think that's how it should be approached.

22 hours ago, Jughead said:

No. His latest social media post (an hour ago) is him in a restaurant with James Segeyaro (smoking Shisha) and Isaac John. 

No doubt Segeyaro is saying ‘ go for it Cory mate , Toulouse isn’t in England ‘

10 minutes ago, StandOffHalf said:

I wouldn't be in favour of the top team every three years simply replacing the bottom SL team.

To be fair and to stop a mad rush, points totals would have to be added together across the three seasons. That would reward consistency and ensure that clubs had something to play for every season over the cycle.

If it was to be brought in, I think that's how it should be approached.

But the thing is the clubs will be competing against other Championship clubs to get that tri annual top spot, they will still enter SL unprepared and if you think about it because of the amnesty of no relegation for the promoted team they can build slowly not spend anything in the first year and would be moreso the whipping boys in SL, also after season two in the Championship some clubs may put the cue in the rack - no good spending this year - and what if a club has finished top twice already they probably do not need to prepare for life in SL especially seeing as they can't be relegated, take the funding and save it up would probably be the way.

There are just so many conundrums to saving clubs from jeopardy.

2 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

It's also looking like Cas Vs Saints Reserves is going to be a stinker for the telly

58 minutes ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

It's also looking like Cas Vs Saints Reserves is going to be a stinker for the telly

Sky should be complaining to Super League about their ridiculous scheduling, which has resulted in Cas vs a very inexperienced Saints side. Three games so closely together is daft and results in games like this. 

2 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

But the thing is the clubs will be competing against other Championship clubs to get that tri annual top spot, they will still enter SL unprepared and if you think about it because of the amnesty of no relegation for the promoted team they can build slowly not spend anything in the first year and would be moreso the whipping boys in SL, also after season two in the Championship some clubs may put the cue in the rack - no good spending this year - and what if a club has finished top twice already they probably do not need to prepare for life in SL especially seeing as they can't be relegated, take the funding and save it up would probably be the way.

There are just so many conundrums to saving clubs from jeopardy.

Interesting points.

My thinking is that SL and Championship points would be aggregated (separately) over the three years. Building slowly in year one would set the newly-promoted team on the back foot. If the promoted team has been the best team over three years in the Championship, they would be set fair to step up.

The key would be to make each year matter and important, and I think that would be achievable.

Well my mate Kev said Leeds by 22. If Leeds paste Toulouse then there can’t be no hope for them as it is the weakest Leeds side I have ever seen. 
Fev would paste both sides in my opinion.

But, the Leeds lads are fit and conditioned and ‘up the guts’ Rugby should see them home with enough to cover the handicap of a measly 4. 

Toulouse won’t have any better chance of beating Leeds as do Cas of beating Saints U 15s comfortably. 

7 hours ago, Chrispmartha said:

Sutcliffe

Tindall

Briscoe

Broadbent

Handley

Sinfield

Leeming

Oledski

Dwyer

Prior

Martin

Gannon

Smith

Oconner

Walters

Mustapha

Donaldson

Alex Mellor will probably be at centre and Bodene Thompson on the bench but other than that I’d say your pretty close 

Still no Jussaume for TO, I was hoping he would make an appearance today. Good to have Joe back, but still too many of the big boys missing.

Archived